• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    The federal "gun free school zones" statute has an exemption for anyone with a license issued by the state in which the school is located, but the Indiana statute does not. So it's a felony under Indiana law to possess a firearm on school property unless you fall into one of three exceptions: you're a LEO, you're employed or authorized by the school to possess a firearm, or you've got a LTCH and you're operating a vehicle to pick up someone or drop them off at a school.

Guy

Thanks for the clarification. So, I'm good on school property as long as my weapon doesn't leave my vehicle.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Thanks for the clarification. So, I'm good on school property as long as my weapon doesn't leave my vehicle.

No, not at all. You have to be "operating" your vehicle to pick up or drop off someone. If you park it or leave it, you're no longer operating it. There's a case right on point. Newson v. State, 785 N.E.2d 1155 (Ind. Ct. App. 2003).

Guy

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    You're good as long as you don't leave the drivers seat.

The statute says "vehicle that is being operated," so I wouldn't even turn it off or put it in park. (I've told my grandkids that if Papa Guy drops them off at school, I'm only slowing down to about 5 mph so they'll need to tuck and roll.)

Guy

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    No, not at all. You have to be "operating" your vehicle to pick up or drop off someone. If you park it or leave it, you're no longer operating it. There's a case right on point. Newson v. State, 785 N.E.2d 1155 (Ind. Ct. App. 2003).

Guy

Okay, so I will continue to do as I have been and just not take it with me. there have been a couple of times that I have needed to go inside when picking up one of my kids to find them. Besides, I have a distinct aversion to leaving my weapon in my car when I am not in it even though it is locked in the glove box. The locks on those things suck. Don't trust 'em.

The guys in the legis. really need to revisit this law.

Top Bottom