EOTech or a cheaper option??????????????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    I'm considering the EOTech for my AR....... I'm wondering if there are some other sights like theirs that are real good for a lot less money. I don't want to put junk on the AR, but I'm not going into battle either. When you cut through all the BS, this is a recreational toy.
    Any advice relative to experience with these types of sights would be greatly appreciated!!!
    THANKS!!!!!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The Bushnell is the exact same HWS without the extra roll cage protecting it and can be had for about $100 cheaper. They make them for EOTech.

I am very happy with my EOTechs.

Now Eotech told me that Eotech made the sights and sold them to Bushnell. Not vice versa. And last word I got was that the Bushnell was discontinued. Has that changed?

If I was gonna risk my neck on having one work I'd buy an aimpoint or an ACOG. I've had battery issues with the Bushnell Holosight and I don't know if the Eotech has solved that problem or not.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm considering the EOTech for my AR....... I'm wondering if there are some other sights like theirs that are real good for a lot less money.

Although it depends on your personal definition of "real good", I'd take a look at Primary Arms and Vortex red-dot sights. Vortex has a mini-RDS for around $250 and Primary Arms has Aimpoint Micro knockoffs for under $100. For a purely recreational gun they might be just the ticket.

Vortex review: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...fordable_red_dot_sight_vortex_strikefire.html

PA Micro reviews: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/71985-primary_arms_aimpoint_clones.html

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have an EOTech on my AR. Works very well. I've had it for about 18 months or so. It holds its zero very well. No issues with it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Now Eotech told me that Eotech made the sights and sold them to Bushnell. Not vice versa. And last word I got was that the Bushnell was discontinued. Has that changed?

If I was gonna risk my neck on having one work I'd buy an aimpoint or an ACOG. I've had battery issues with the Bushnell Holosight and I don't know if the Eotech has solved that problem or not.

You are correct. I switched it in my head, thank you for pointing out my error, I'll edit my post. The battery issues with the Eotech have been resolved with the models that flip the battery sidweays. It's still a possibility with the 512 with a heavier recoiling gun and heavier batteries. I use lithium AAs in my 512s and the first one I have bought has seen 2000+ rounds through it on an AR15 with no issues. It's my late night varmint gun and I prefer it for that task over the Aimpoint (and yes, I have two of those as well).

Last edited:

matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    I get tunnel vision very easily. For this reason I greatly prefer the eotech over anything else. I would save up and buy the eotech and be done with it for the rest of your life, never having to buy another optic. I used to buy cheaper versions, only to upgrade later. I would go to a shooting session and just know I could do better with a bettter quality optic. Eotechs are easy to sight in and use on several different firearm for different reasons. Good luck with your decision.

EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    like some people said try finding a used one or look at the eotech 512 i think it is. It doesnt have night vision which i doubt you would rarely use anyway.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    primary arms gets good reviews and they are made for people with a budget. they make aimpont knockoffs with killflashes and the works. i for one have an eotech 511 i bought off a member on here for under 300 bucks. the battery life sucks on it only 200 hours and after about 6 months batteries need to be swapped out if not used but im putting the primary arms m4 style red dot on my AK

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm

Last edited:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Not to thread jack, but if I may just a bit how are the Primary Arms Scopes (non-redot with either the 3x ACOG like or the 4-9).

InfraRed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I'm considering the EOTech for my AR....... I'm wondering if there are some other sights like theirs that are real good for a lot less money. I don't want to put junk on the AR, but I'm not going into battle either. When you cut through all the BS, this is a recreational toy.
    Any advice relative to experience with these types of sights would be greatly appreciated!!!
    THANKS!!!!!

It's depends on if you are action shooting. If you need to aquire and react to targets quickly then yep, save your cash and get an EO Tech. If you are just target shooting, save your cash and use iron sights.

KMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    I prefer the quality and quickness of the EOTech. I've had a couple of them now for at least 4 years with no issues.

Top Bottom