• ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Kalash is considered a boys name in africa.

A. Leash, that was hysterical and i have awarded you points.

B. Kirk, I disagree that because he did something in the past makes him continually awesome. He does deserve respect for his achievements, he just sounds like a douche in this video. People do douchey things all the time, it's learning from past douchebaggery and correcting that behavior in the future that keeps us from becoming giant douche bag milkshakes.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My rule: any man to make it through the training he went through gets to call a weapon whatever he desires.:D Even my own pet peeves, e.g. giving the incorrect definition of double action.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I do see your point. Regardless i'll probably watch the full video when it comes out then practice whatever technique he subscribes to and compare and contrast it to my current thing even if i cringe every time he says Kalash. Now if he says "here is how you put a clip in your Kalash" i'll remove the DVD from the player take a dump on it and mail it to him.

AzNooB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Am I think only one who watches a video like this and wants to throw every gun I have into the grinder, so as not to be associated with this sort of crap?

"Kalash"? REALLY? You have GOT to be kidding me.

First.. every guy with a brand new AR15 with a barrel longer than 17" calls it a "stick".

Now we call rifles by slang portions of the designers first name?!

Kalash? Really? What a douche.

I am going to call my AR15 a "Ston".

"So take your Ston, cycle the charging handle, and blast away at this target thats 10 feet away as fast as you can."

People call Corvettes 'Vettes,' Bimmers 'Beemers,' Glocks 'Gats,' Browning M2 'Ma Deuce,' Krinkovs 'Krinks,' Remington 700 'R700,' and the list goes on. Travis Haley's marketing team probably felt like he could differentiate himself from the list of AK trainers by coming up with a unique name. Why do you care so much?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    People call Corvettes 'Vettes,' Bimmers 'Beemers,' Glocks 'Gats,' Browning M2 'Ma Deuce,' Krinkovs 'Krinks,' Remington 700 'R700,' and the list goes on. Travis Haley's marketing team probably felt like he could differentiate himself from the list of AK trainers by coming up with a unique name. Why do you care so much?

The avtomat kalashnikova has a shortened form already "AK". To refer to it as a kalash is, like you pointed out, much like calling a BMW a beamer. The 3 letter designation BMW is a household name so there really is no need to call it anything else. Some people feel the name car or BMW isn't enough to adequately describe their expensive purchase so they give it a cute, longer, attention seeking nickname. Those people are called douche bags. I have a friend who owns one and goes out of his way to let ladies know he drives a Beamer... The women often point out his douchebaggery and move on. I have a neighbor that owns one and considers it a method of conveyance to and from work. He refuses the urge to call it anything other than BMW lest he appear douche like. Just owning a BMW doesn't make you a douche. How you act once you have one is the determining factor.

As a side note for those keeping score, if you own a porsche and pronounce it por-sha you actually are NOT a douche...you're a dou-sha

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The avtomat kalashnikova has a shortened form already "AK". To refer to it as a kalash is, like you pointed out, much like calling a BMW a beamer. The 3 letter designation BMW is a household name so there really is no need to call it anything else. Some people feel the name car or BMW isn't enough to adequately describe their expensive purchase so they give it a cute, longer, attention seeking nickname. Those people are called douche bags. I have a friend who owns one and goes out of his way to let ladies know he drives a Beamer... The women often point out his douchebaggery and move on. I have a neighbor that owns one and considers it a method of conveyance to and from work. He refuses the urge to call it anything other than BMW lest he appear douche like. Just owning a BMW doesn't make you a douche. How you act once you have one is the determining factor.

As a side note for those keeping score, if you own a porsche and pronounce it por-sha you actually are NOT a douche...you're a dou-sha

This is the best post I've ever read :laugh:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Why do you have to say stuff like this? Now I will have to examine whether or not I really am still awesome based on things I did in high school.

Can there be no perpetual awesomeness:(

Unfortunately no there is no perpetual awesomeness. Unfortunately bad decisions are the only thing that'll always stick with you.

You can rescue a bus load of nuns from an active shooter, develop the cure for aids, and ski down mt everest and for maybe a week people will think you're great...

Will you forever be known as "nun savior", "mountain tamer" or "aids destroyer"?
    No.
    Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut
    Get all hopped up on goofballs and perform fellatio on ONE goat

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    better make fun of the man's choice of lingo to deflect from the fact that none of you will ever be able to shoot like that.

+1 :yesway:
    Plus the fact he can take a $500 Kalash and out shoot his $1500 Ston:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes, I said it! Kalash, Kalash, Kalash!!!!
    wow, I feel like such a douche...

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Haley making AK videos and stuff sounds interesting. You can't say what he and Costa did at Magpul didn't push the art of ARs. But, I agree that the Kalash part is annoying. The biggest problem I have with "Kalash" is it sounds airsofter kiddie (and that's coming from a mostly former airsofter who will still dabble in it once or twice a year). There is a whole line of "Kalash" line of airsoft AKs FWIW.

Also notice he is using the side by side mag change method. While I do think this is the most efficient movement way to change an AK mag with retention, it is also the most fumble prone, especially on side rail equipped AKs under movement. I'll be interested to see if he teaches that method.

My main question would be how much do you actually need the fraction of a second increase in to put that many rounds down range that fast. It would seem to me that it is a little bit of gun masturbation. I'm all for shoot them to the ground, but even that would be excessive in most cases. I do realize that was suppose to be more of test of the brakes, but it has limited real world application IMO. It's like testing the top speed of a sports car on a drag track to tell you how your SUV will handle on the highway. I think a better real world test would be to maybe a triple tap to one target, then a triple tap to another, like a variation on a El Presidente drill as a better test of purely the brakes. Then add movement to it to for the litmus test if it really has any real world affect. I'm not saying that they won't have a measurable advantage, they probably will. I'm also not saying that Haley can't shoot, he obviously can and has done some amazing things. I just want to take this from theory to application.

My other big question, would the slightly slower followup shots with a flash hider be ultimately better since you would have less visual signature (especially at night) and less disruptive blast to teammates? Yes, I know there are flash controlling brakes like the FSC47, but they only move the flash from your line of sight. Vortex, Phantom, etc. hiders really do kill the flash. I've haven't read much on the BC's blast but even the FSC47 has some reports of people hating the blast.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    better make fun of the man's choice of lingo to deflect from the fact that none of you will ever be able to shoot like that.
    Really...
    You cannot place 10+ rounds into a Target at 15 yards in a couple of seconds...

I can almost do this with my Lee-Enfield No4MkI...
    +1 :yesway:
    Plus the fact he can take a $500 Kalash and out shoot his $1500 Ston:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes, I said it! Kalash, Kalash, Kalash!!!!
    wow, I feel like such a douche...
    I really doubt he is shooting a $500 dollar AK...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Really...
    You cannot place 10+ rounds into a Target at 15 yards in a couple of seconds...

I can almost do this with my Lee-Enfield No4MkI...

I really doubt he is shooting a $500 dollar AK...

No offense, but I've had a Lee-Enfield and I'd like to see you just shoot 5 rounds in 2 seconds out of one.

I have no experience with rapid fire out of any of my AK clones, so I can't speak to this guy's experience and how it comes into play, but I can see what he's getting at - the point being that rapid fire with the muzzle brake/flash hiders was somewhat easier to control (based on the number of hits in the target center) than with the standard slant brake. And he did mention specifically sport shooting, where accuracy and speed are important. I'm not sure I want to pay that kind of money for a slight gain in speed/accuracy in rapid fire, but then, I didn't pay $1500 for all my AKs put together. I'm sure competition shooters will pay that sort of money for an edge they can use, though, and that was his point, at least partially.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    No offense, but I've had a Lee-Enfield and I'd like to see you just shoot 5 rounds in 2 seconds out of one.

I have no experience with rapid fire out of any of my AK clones, so I can't speak to this guy's experience and how it comes into play, but I can see what he's getting at - the point being that rapid fire with the muzzle brake/flash hiders was somewhat easier to control (based on the number of hits in the target center) than with the standard slant brake. And he did mention specifically sport shooting, where accuracy and speed are important. I'm not sure I want to pay that kind of money for a slight gain in speed/accuracy in rapid fire, but then, I didn't pay $1500 for all my AKs put together. I'm sure competition shooters will pay that sort of money for an edge they can use, though, and that was his point, at least partially.
    FWIW, the fastest video I've seen a Lee-Enfield shot on YouTube offhand is just under 1 round per second.

I didn't hear him mention sport shooting, in fact he specifically said stuff like "combat effectiveness," "modern gunfighter," "enhanced survivability," and "modern gunfighting ways."

A Century Yugo underfoler like he has is about $600.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I was being somewhat facetious with the claim. However The record for the "Mad-Minute" for the British Army for SMLE is 37 Rounds in 1 minute with hits on a target at 200 yards. The impressive part to me is that includes 3 reloads of the No4 MkI...

With 28 rounds a minute being the Norm across the British Forces...

So granted I can not throw 9 rounds out in 2 Seconds with a SMLE, But it is definitely a capable platform...

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    FWIW, the fastest video I've seen a Lee-Enfield shot on YouTube offhand is just under 1 round per second.

I didn't hear him mention sport shooting, in fact he specifically said stuff like "combat effectiveness," "modern gunfighter," "enhanced survivability," and "modern gunfighting ways."

A Century Yugo underfoler like he has is about $600.

You're quite right, he didn't mention sport shooting. I don't know where I got the idea that he did.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Wow, you guys got up on the wrong side of the bed.

I thought the shooting was impressive. I was also loving those brakes. I wish I had the money to buy a $150+ brake for my $500 Yugo U/F.

Top Bottom