• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I am planning to get into reloading my own hand gun ammo before too long. I have been starting to save my spent brass when I am at the range.

My question is regarding other spent brass laying around. Is it considered bad form to pick others used brass up if it is laying around the range. My intention would be to reload it and use it myself. I am not planning to turn around and try to sell it.

I am just curious. I don't want to break any "unwritten rules".

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I usually ask the people in the imediate vacinity if they reload and if they care if I collect their brass. So long as you aren't picking up others brass with out their permission it should be cool.

Now scavaging through the brass bins after people have deposited their brass in there, may get you a talking to by the RSO. I have asked up at Atterbury and they don't seem to mind if you take some out of the bins, or collect from in front of the shooting benches (during a cease fire ONLY), so long as you aren't picking through it for hours and only going to the range so you can collect brass, or emptying the entire bucket into your range bag.

Mainly be respectful of other people on the range and the RSO's. Give other people the opportunity to collect their brass first, before you start sweeping it up. And always ask before you sweep up someone else's brass, don't assume that they aren't collecting it.

ETA: Don't worry about sorting it at the range if it's busy, or you are going to cause a hold up during a cease fire. Just collect it, bring it home and sort it later.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I often wait until I am done to pick up mine. Lately, it seems like every time I go to the range some guy is taking my brass. Sometimes a guy makes a mistake, if I pick up someone elses .40 while I am picking up my .45, I just give it back.

BK1962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    North Liberty
    My reloads are so consistant I put a red solo cup where the first one lands and they all go in it... I'm calling BS on myself for that one.
    I pick mine up as I go so they dont get walked on. In my experience, if some one next to you see's you're doing that. They offer up theirs if they don't keep it or want to donate it to the range bucket. Better ask the range master before you scrounge out of their scrap.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    At my usual range it is forbidden to take home anyone else's brass but your own or you guest's & shooting partners. All other brass must o into the proper bucket. Failure to do this will result in immediate banning, if caught. So even when I clean up the range because I am sort of anal that way, I put the brass into the bucket. I do this first usually too as this way it is clear I am picking up only my own. Did I mention I usually shoot revolvers and bolt & lever action rifles? I do shoot semi-autos as well, just not as often as I used to shoot them.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    At my usual range it is forbidden to take home anyone else's brass but your own or you guest's & shooting partners. All other brass must o into the proper bucket. Failure to do this will result in immediate banning, if caught. So even when I clean up the range because I am sort of anal that way, I put the brass into the bucket. I do this first usually too as this way it is clear I am picking up only my own. Did I mention I usually shoot revolvers and bolt & lever action rifles? I do shoot semi-autos as well, just not as often as I used to shoot them.

And which range is this at again?

bob_dolemite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I put a red solo cup where the first one lands and they all go in it...

My reloads are so consistant I put a red solo cup where the first one lands and they all go in it... I'm calling BS on myself for that one.
    I pick mine up as I go so they dont get walked on. In my experience, if some one next to you see's you're doing that. They offer up theirs if they don't keep it or want to donate it to the range bucket. Better ask the range master before you scrounge out of their scrap.

^^^I've did that before, except it melts the cup-I use a Star Bucks paper cup!! Especially with my 10MM..HA HA...NOT...Bill.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I pick up my brass and if I find others while picking up I grab it. I don't scavenge it all up, but I try and take what I shoot at least.
    I've seen guys that roam the range in slow times gobbling up all they can. I've had them ask me if they could have my brass.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    And which range is this at again?

Apparently not yours so why do you give a :poop:?

I am fine with it, so I abide by it.

I get a lot of other good stuff for the measly $20/year fee so it doesn't matter if he wants to sell the brass to make up the cost of letting me shoot there so inexpensively. He provides the targets, the staples and staplers, covered shooting lines, tarps are staked out to make finding your brass easy and he maintains well made standards to hold the targets up as well. There are others but those come to mind and are my most used, the place is nice and has a 400 yard rifle range which I like too.

Go look for my intro if you really need the name of the place.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If I shoot a gun, semi-auto or not, and some range master gives me grief about picking up MY BRASS, you can bet your a** I will not be back to that range! That's a crock and I'm calling BS...there isn't a range out there that would stay in business very long if they kept members from picking up THEIR OWN brass. :rolleyes:

Also, if you ask anyone shooting next to you if you can have their brass, the universal response is "sure, no problem"...they'll usually pick it up and give it to you. If a range is THAT hard up for money that they ban people for picking through fired brass, they need to up their fees.

Threads like this make me all the more happy to shoot from my 100 yard range or my buddy's 300 yard setup. :ingo:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also: if you don't know who shot it, its possible that a reloader has let it sit on purpose after its useful life is over.

I'd think an experienced reloader could tell if the brass was on its last legs or not...but a beginner may not spot the signs.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I just ask those shooting around me what calibers they are shooting and if they mind if I pick up their brass. 99% of the time they say, "Well, I plan on reloading... But I don't have the equipment yet so go ahead."

If they don't want me to pick it up, I don't. Never had an RSO get on me about it but, if they did, I'd just ask the person if they minded dumping it into my bag instead of the bucket when they picked up.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    I don't reload due to lack of space. So I useally will clean up/collect my brass and offer it up to any shooters around me. Also an easy way to start up a conversation with a fellow shooter.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Ask the people shooting around you if they care if you clean up their brass.

One time, I asked a guy and his wife if I could have their brass and by the time we were done talking, they were picking up mine, theirs and some other guys and putting it in my range bag! :)

p.s. And I will pick up any caliber, knowing that I can give it away or trade for something in the future.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

I get a lot of other good stuff for the measly $20/year fee so it doesn't matter if he wants to sell the brass to make up the cost of letting me shoot there so inexpensively. He provides the targets, the staples and staplers, covered shooting lines, tarps are staked out to make finding your brass easy and he maintains well made standards to hold the targets up as well. There are others but those come to mind and are my most used, the place is nice and has a 400 yard rifle range which I like too.

Wow. Defensive much? I was just curious as to what range it was, sounded like a nice place to go shooting. But perhaps there are some underlying issues that you need to get out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

New around here huh. Take it easy killer, He only asked what range. Some of us like to go sample other clubs.

Take a pill, deep breath and let it all go....................................;)

Top Bottom