Emergency Vehicle Speeding to... the MALL?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I have toiled over whether or not to post this. But after reading other posts here about public servants speeding (and other 'behavior') I decided to tell this story:

LEO's: We as citizens can only do so much. I would hope that you police your own when you find out about or witness such behavior.

On black Friday, (the day after thanksgiving) I was released from work around 9:00 AM. While driving from the airport to my home in Fishers, I noticed a white, unmarked SUV with a municipal tag and LED light bar with clear lenses (so I couldn't tell if it was fire/rescue/LEO/etc.) entered I465 Northbound at 71st Street. He went flying by me like I was standing still, flew across 3 lanes of traffic to the far left lane without signaling, and proceeded to leave me in the dust. He was not running his lights or siren.

I was able to keep sight of him and even catch up a little as he ran into traffic. He would fly up behind cars in the left lane, and if they didn't move out of his way he would swerve at the last second to go around them. He did this to no less than 10 cars. On 4 occasions as he swerved to go around the panicked driver in front would also swerve to the center lane nearly causing a collision. Four times he crossed all three lanes of traffic in one swoop without using a signal to swerve around cars in his way.

I called 911 and reported this aggressive and dangerous driving. When he came up to several cars in his way, I was able to catch him and get the tag number. Once his lane was clear he took off again and I wanted to try and pace him. At 80 MPH I gave up as he was still pulling away fast. He made no less than 15 lane changes at high speed without using his signal.

Just prior to Allisonville Road, he ran into traffic again and I was able to catch up to him. He actually slowed down and used his signal to get all the way over to the right lane to exit on Allisonville. I was able to get next to him. (I was trying to video all of this on my iphone) Below is a still photo taken from the video. He looks like a DNR Conservation Officer??

fastcop.bmp

I then got behind him to follow and see where he was headed. I had a hunch so as he got in a long line to turn towards Castleton Mall, I went straight and cut through the Hardees Parking lot to see if he would come by me heading towards the mall. Sure enough, he went flying by and turned into the mall. I was able to catch the light just right to get a few cars behind him, and sure enough, he parked in the lot at Castleton Mall, exited his vehicle and proceeded to enter the mall!

I called ISP again and raised hell. The guy on the phone was in disbelief and disappointed, but oddly enough NEVER ASKED FOR MY CONTACT INFO OR THE VIDEO that I told him I had taken.

If there is one thing I will NOT stand for it's a public servant abusing their privileges/authority. I'm sure nothing ever happened from my report, as I was never contacted.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I called ISP again and raised hell. The guy on the phone was in disbelief and disappointed, but oddly enough NEVER ASKED FOR MY CONTACT INFO OR THE VIDEO that I told him I had taken.

If there is one thing I will NOT stand for it's a public servant abusing their privileges/authority. I'm sure nothing ever happened from my report, as I was never contacted.

Good for you in reporting him. We taxpayers pay for that vehicle and he is using it for his personal errands and behaving as though he has a license to speed.

The fact that they don't want any of the info you were offering them makes me wonder if it will be followed up or not.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    This could all be solved with carchips and weekly/monthly audits. If the guy wasn't logged in on a call or whatever when the chip shows him speeding, running lights, blowing signals, etc...then he gets a ticket. After X number of violations, he gets sent on unpaid vacation and so on in a graduated fashion....I know it's too simple and cheap of a solution that would create some level of accountability.....You can buy these chips to put in your kids/wifes/husbands car for about $20 and I doubt it would even be necessary since their vehicles are already lowjacked...

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Know for a fact that the DNR officers sometimes work security part time for malls, stores and other places that demand it. A friend of mine works for the Parks department (Park Ranger) and works security quite a bit.

The pic is fuzzy. Was he in uniform? Not saying the OP is wrong, I am just saying that we only have one side of the story here. If in uniform, his driving sounds pretty erratic, but there is a response for "get here quick, no lights/siren" isn't there? If there was something going on he needed to respond to at the mall, coupled with the bad traffic on that day could have only caused him more trouble in responding?

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Know for a fact that the DNR officers sometimes work security part time for malls, stores and other places that demand it. A friend of mine works for the Parks department (Park Ranger) and works security quite a bit.

The pic is fuzzy. Was he in uniform? Not saying the OP is wrong, I am just saying that we only have one side of the story here. If in uniform, his driving sounds pretty erratic, but there is a response for "get here quick, no lights/siren" isn't there? If there was something going on he needed to respond to at the mall, coupled with the bad traffic on that day could have only caused him more trouble in responding?

*PLEASE NOTE THE ABOVE QUOTE BROUGHT TO YOU BY A "KNOWN TRAFFIC MENACE", LOLOL! I just noticed that.

Seriously though, We certainly see "silent runs" all the time and it's a common tactic if stealth is in order. But in this case I doubt it because we went around 12-15 miles and he parked way out in the lot, not up front as if he were running a call. While maybe not impossible, a silent run on the interstate through parts of 3 counties makes me doubt he was on official business.

It is also possible he was going there to work in some capacity as indicated by other posters. I'm not sure what bearing that would have on this discussion though.

People like this tarnish those around them if only by association. One guy like this can in seconds destroy what thousands work hard to overcome. What concerns me most is the poor judgement and lack of thinking.

I used to teach EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operator Course) and the North Carolina Department of Insurance Emergency Vehicle Driver Course. I am not a "perfect" drvier myself, but this was way over the top and really bugs me.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    What sort of force of nature would it take to get a police officer a speeding ticket? In an average year, how many speeding tickets does the average Police Department give to other cops?

Is it true that the "speed warning" was developed the first time a cop got pulled over for speeding off duty?

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009

maybe the mall ninja was late for work:dunno:

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    This doesnt surprise me. Its no different than an officer turning his lights on to make a stop light. :(

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Looks like the Marion County Dept of health SUVs. NOT LEO....

I've seen SUVs that were all white with LED lights parked over at the ambulance entrance at Methodist before. I don't remember them having any visible markings.

Kind of looked like the one in the picture that was posted.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    You stated that you have a License Plate Number, that tells the tale of who it was and who the agency is or a private owner. If you feel that strongly instead of only complaining here, file a formal complaint. If he worked for me, I would Not tolerate that type of behavior :rolleyes:

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    What sort of force of nature would it take to get a police officer a speeding ticket? In an average year, how many speeding tickets does the average Police Department give to other cops?

Is it true that the "speed warning" was developed the first time a cop got pulled over for speeding off duty?

That's a good question. I wonder how many of there wives get out of tickets as well. I went to school with a guy who is on the Franklin Township police dept and he has had IMPD officers come and blow him a bunch #$@% for writting there wives tickets.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That's a good question. I wonder how many of there wives get out of tickets as well. I went to school with a guy who is on the Franklin Township police dept and he has had IMPD officers come and blow him a bunch #$@% for writting there wives tickets.
    Right on... my cousin is a LEO/Auto accident investigator in FL. His wife got a ticket once that she didn't think was fair. When they showed up at court, the ticketing officer said, "Why didn't you tell me your husband was an LEO? I would have let you go." Her response was that it wasn't fair for her to get off on things just because her husband was an LEO. :yesway: To her for that... she ended up getting the ticket taken away, but she did it the right way and went to court to do it just like anybody else would have to do.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    post the plate number. i can guarantee you we will find out who it is then. its not like its a private car.
    Yep...post the plate number and any other identifying markings on the car...like numbers on the rear bumper, roof, etc. Even better...post the entire video as well, please?

I would like clarification on one thing, however...the guy is driving like a maniac through parts of 3 counties...yet you're able to keep up with him by traveling at speeds in excess of 80 mph while you're busy video taping it...it seems to me we have more than one guilty party here. How many people did you endanger by doing this? :twocents:

Don't get me wrong...he needs to be held responsible for his actions no matter who he works for...I'm just a bit bewildered I guess. :n00b:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Yep...post the plate number and any other identifying markings on the car...like numbers on the rear bumper, roof, etc. Even better...post the entire video as well, please?

I would like clarification on one thing, however...the guy is driving like a maniac through parts of 3 counties...yet you're able to keep up with him by traveling at speeds in excess of 80 mph while you're busy video taping it...it seems to me we have more than one guilty party here. How many people did you endanger by doing this? :twocents:

Don't get me wrong...he needs to be held responsible for his actions no matter who he works for...I'm just a bit bewildered I guess. :n00b:

yeah this is true that its not advisable to follow a vehicle like this at high speeds. Also not wise to follow any assumed cop car because you might end up faced down on the cement at the end of about 20 barrels. :twocents:

Top Bottom