• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That is just simply brilliant. Wonder how margarine would work.

It's just oil, so I imagine that it would work equally well. Probably using frozen is better because once it starts to get too warm, the whole thing will probably collapse. Also, it seems like putting it in a jar like that will hold the heat in and melt it faster. Seems like it would be better in an open bowl or a dish. I may have to run some experiments.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It's just oil, so I imagine that it would work equally well. Probably using frozen is better because once it starts to get too warm, the whole thing will probably collapse. Also, it seems like putting it in a jar like that will hold the heat in and melt it faster. Seems like it would be better in an open bowl or a dish. I may have to run some experiments.
    Gravy boat would be idea because than you can just poor some of the melted butter right onto your tatets

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Wonder if Bacon fat will work..... Can light up the room and get rid of the air freshener!

Any fat should work. After all, candles have been made of tallow since the dawn of man. But I bet bacon fat will be smokey. Still, we're talking emergency here, so I guess a little smoke is a small price to pay.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I just tried this... after 30 minutes the butter on the bottom was still soft (refrigerated first NOT frozen) then it put itself out w/ what looked like a large amount of soot build up. reprimed it, pinched the top a bit to keep the butter on the wick and its still going but looks like it will put itself out again shortly.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I just tried this... after 30 minutes the butter on the bottom was still soft (refrigerated first NOT frozen) then it put itself out w/ what looked like a large amount of soot build up. reprimed it, pinched the top a bit to keep the butter on the wick and its still going but looks like it will put itself out again shortly.
    Using butter or margarine sticks? I am just checking :D

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Stop wasting the butter...save it for your :popcorn:

:D

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Not sure how margarine would work, most margarines have water in them.

As far as the crisco, I used to make candles and I added crisco to the wax I used for container candles. It was part container wax, part crisco and part beeswax. They made very nice long burning, low soot candles that held scents well. It has been quite a while since I made candles and I don't remember all the details. (Used to sell them, but I got out of the business and sold most of my wax, molds, wicks, etc.)

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was at my grandsons birthday party and which was outside at a park in Evansville. There was a fireplace in the shelter house so my Son-in-law went and bought two racks of woof from the local 7-Eleven. We didn't have anything to start the fire with so we thought the fire was a bust. One of the girls said that she read on Pintrest that you can use Doritos to start a fire. I worked!!!!! We used one on the smallest size bags to get the fire going.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I have personally used cooking oil in a pyrex custard dish, with a strand from a 100% cotton rag mop head to make a lamp. Very easy, rag mop heads go for a couple of bucks and can provide scores and scores of wicks for you.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom