• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Met Pops at Elwood today, tried to get my rifles zeroed.
    .35 Rem TC shoots 1" @100 if I bear down, 2" if I ease up. Not bad, pretty light, left a waffle mark on sissy hide after 1 box LOL.

700 ADL .243 had a few touching, but opened to 1". I was a bit punchy then as a 16" AR was next bench over.

Kid hadn't shot for a long time, Pops let her go with the Exemplar. Clanged first 2 shots at 75 yds! Hmmmm, maybe I need to get her an IHMSA rig ;)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The TC carbine is 16.25" factory bbl. Think it'd be better in balance (a bit fwd) at 18.5 with full bull.

The Anschutz Exemplar my kid was shooting is 14".

The 7mm-08 was no big deal, outside of the HORRIBLE trigger (factory redid it). Will say that it has just enough jolt to start tenderizing your elbows after 3 shots on that bench. Shooting on a bit of outdoor carpeting, like at some IHMSA ranges, will raw ya pretty quick, or so my dad says. He wanted to see what it did with the brake off, as the blast with the brake open, from Creedmoor position, (without a blast shield) will take off some hide over time.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Cute kid. Gotta love that smile.

Those exemplars are pretty nice pistols. Had one on my want list for a while.
    What are you using that .35 Rem rifle on, besides targets? Are you gonna try some .35 shorts in it for deer this year?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thanks. She a great kid, helps out around the house, good student and naturally happy.

Got two more like her (but the middle meaner than a snake, no boys brave enough to ask her out). The oldest is a slacker. No trouble, as that would require effort to get into such. They've all shot, oldest wants a Smith 442. Middle probably the most gifted shooting wise, a natural, even with bow............and is just "eh".

Yes, the .35 will run short cases on deer this yr. Cool being so short, but the overall look and balance, wish the bbl was a couple inches longer.

If I get the $ scraped up next yr, the plan is to have a Ruger #1 rebarrelled to .35. Then this TC will be changed to something else. It shoots good though............and probably should be kept (the .35 bbl).

I've let a few good shooters go back in the day and it still stings.

Next range session I'll have the oldest out. Was yrs ago, but as a spindly 15/16 yr old she was bouncing popcans at 25 yds with my Commander. Two old timers at Winamac just watched with big ol' grins plastered across their faces. Only smile bigger was hers!

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The shooter with Gramps is 14.

All have been shooting since age 5 (well not really shooting, more like yanking the trigger).

Young kids, always sat right with them, they in front, absolute safety control.

When did they start really shooting (getting the idea of sight alignment, trigger squeeze etc.)? Dunno, but it seemed to "click" around age 10.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The middle and oldest started shooting centerfires around age 12 or so.
    Even with earmuffs they thought the 16" AR was a bit loud, didn't stop them from burning ammo though ;)
    My kids were tiny, so the 6 position CAR buttstock was great for them.

Gotta add, my kids are quite logical.
    And we censored gun/movie violence growing up since we are a gun home.

Lucky for me my kids were of a type where I could take them shooting. Some kids aren't.
    I think some of that can be environmental, but most of it probably mental.

Last edited:

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    I agree. I have not pushed my oldest into firearm shooting but she has taken and interest on her own and that is what I had hoped for. Started her on the .22LR. Worked out fine. I think I will just keep her on that for now working on form and safety, etc. Thanks for the info, its always nice to ask another father who has been there and has the knowledge to go with it.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    ECC is a nice place to shoot definitely! My wife and I try to get out there as much as possible. I have two daughters 8 and 10 and started them out shooting last year 7&9 at the time).

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Great photos of the family shoot. Looking forward to seeing the swamp donkeys you will drop this year with the TC. See you at Bullseye sometime. Ping

Top Bottom