• ...and so much more!
  • Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    picture.php

Welcome to the Elwood Conservation Club, located about a mile south of Elwood, Indiana. It's been in existence for 50+ years. Current membership is about 430 people or so. It's one of the easiest clubs to join.... membership dues are only $65 per year. To join, all you need do is fill out an application....and, presto! You're in! No initiation fee. No waiting time. No probationary meetings or activities to attend. No voting on your application. How simple is that??

picture.php

The Club has a spacious clubhouse that is heated and air conditioned, with fireplace and full kitchen facilities. Members can reserve it for a nominal fee, and it is also available for public rental, as long as it does not interfere with club operations and activities.

Other facilities include a fishing lake(canoe/kayak), archery range, pistol and rifle ranges, and a tactical combat range. I've never bothered to count, but I'd estimate probably 20 or so lanes in all.

The best news? IT'S NEVER CROWDED!!!!! Now granted, I don't go on Saturday or Sunday afternoons, but I do go at all other times, including evenings... and I've never had more than one or two other members for company. And they may have been on a completely separate range!

picture.php

WOW! And all for only $65 per year. With a guaranteed no hassle enrollment. What a deal.

OK, let's get started. FIRST, we need to sign in at the clubhouse. No hassle: just sign the log sheet with the time and note any guests accompanying you. (We do charge a $5 guest fee.)

picture.php

Today we are headed for the Pistol Range. As you can see, it is covered, is on a concrete slab, has benches and seats. It's 10 yards. That's 30 feet. Don't ask me how many meters....cause I don't really give a s.... :)

picture.php

TIP # 1..... Always bring help. Help is good. Good help is better. :) To carry stuff. To set targets... To reset targets...To clean up, etc. (Note to self: Next time bring help with empty hands. Hands full of food and drink can't carry much.)

picture.php

See what I mean about 'stuff' ? Going to the gun range isn't just a matter of strapping on your favorite pistol, and bring a box of ammo and an empty coke can as a target.

picture.php

You gotta have 'stuff'.

picture.php

A Rifle on a pistol range???? Isn't that over kill?? Easy folks....easy. It's a Winchester 490, .22 LR.
    I just put a scope on it. I lost my right eye in a m/c accident. So I'm trying to learn how to shoot 'left-handed.' Until I can get it sighted in, I'll be lucky to see the berm. :)

picture.php

OKAY, OKAY, OKAY... we did come here to do some serious pistol whippin'.

From the far left pistol: Walther P22, .22LR; Charter Arms 2” Snubbie, .38 Special; Glock 26, 9MM; Walther PPQ, 9MM; Springfield Xds, .45ACP

picture.php

And we are off and running!!! Well, at least my helpers are... Somebody has to walk 'all the way out there' and set the target.

picture.php

As you can see...our target structure is simple: we hammer two wooden garden stakes into the soil, and staple a man-size paper target to it. I know, I know.....we coulda bought at Cabalas. <Sigh>

picture.php

Sometimes we even spray paint orange dots on the paper, to give us more target points. 'Waste not, Want not.'

picture.php

TIP # 2.....Bring plenty of staples, and plenty of targets.

picture.php

TIP # 3.....Make certain your helpers are young and have plenty of stamina to hoof it back and forth to the target. Think this is bad? Try the 100 yard rifle range :)

picture.php

We went through a LOT of ammo today. Glad we didn't bring all the rifles. We coulda burned up $500 in ammo easy.

The only hiccups were with the Springfield Xds. It definitely does not like the Magtech ammo. I tried rounds from both ends of two different boxes....Same results: FTF 2-3-4 out of 7 each mag. Intermittently, I'd switch to various other .45ACP Brands..... 0 failures. Go back to the Magtech and BOOM...FTF. Somebody suggested cleaning/lubing the cartridges. I might give that a shot...since I have a lot of boxes left :(

picture.php

TIP # 4.....Clean up after yourself!!! Sure I pick up my re-loadable brass.. (No, I don't reload yet, but someday..) But I also pick up my .22LR brass, along with everybody else's....and dump it in the trash.

picture.php

TIP # 5......Bring some help. Once again, 'help' saves the day! I don' have to bend, stoop, pick up, etc... lol. Ain't life grand???

picture.php

Oh, BTW....here's a photo of our rifle range. Lanes from 25-100 yards. And plenty of them. I'd drive down there and show you around, but that will have to wait for another day, another report.

picture.php

And finally.....'There's one in every crowd.'

As soon as this fellow sees my camera, and hears about the INGO contest, he wants to be in it. Not necessarily his face...but his car. He says that I can show him as a member leaving the club after a satisfying day at the range. OKEY DOKEY.

picture.php

So there you have it folks! The ELWOOD CONSERVATION CLUB. In Elwood, IN.

Affordable *SAFE environment
    No hassle enrollment *Multipurpose facilities
    No range officer *No hassle

ECC
    Clubhouse:

Post Address:
    9240 N 1000 W
    Elwood, IN 46036
    Telephone: 765-552-3058

Respectfully submitted, by Skywired 9/30/2012

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    +1 for ECC!

You can go mid-week and be the only soul there quite often. For as informal as the membership process is, I've never had any trouble with any other shooters there. Good people.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've been hunting for a club and this might just be the winner. There are others closer to me, but for the price and facilities this looks like a winner.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I've been hunting for a club and this might just be the winner. There are others closer to me, but for the price and facilities this looks like a winner.

I live in Cicero. I looked at Noblesville and Atlanta. Both 10 minutes from me. Both nice clubs. Ultimately, I chose Elwood, only 20 minutes away....and...let's just say, a better fit for me. :yesway:

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I live in Cicero. I looked at Noblesville and Atlanta. Both 10 minutes from me. Both nice clubs. Ultimately, I chose Elwood, only 20 minutes away....and...let's just say, a better fit for me. :yesway:

I've shot at both of them. They both have their goods and bads. I can't remember the name of it but there is a place out Pendleton direction that I shot at too. That one seemed pretty ok.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I've shot at both of them. They both have their goods and bads. I can't remember the name of it but there is a place out Pendleton direction that I shot at too. That one seemed pretty ok.

Not familiar with it myself...but wouldn't mind checking it out :)

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the report. Great pics. I finally got out there last weekend and have to say that on a very pleasant Saturday afternoon it wasn't crowded at all. There were only 3 people on the handgun range, a husband and wife with their young son. They were using the whole thing since it was just them, but when we showed up they politely moved over and we all went about our business. They left shortly after and for the rest of the day we had the 10 yard range to ourselves. What I learned that day:

1. Don't **** my wife off. She is a damn good shot.
    2. She was previously hesitant to want to shoot. Now she loves it.
    3. There is no such thing as enough ammo. I only brought 50 rounds for her new XD, thinking she'd want to fire off a few and call it a day. I had ammo for my guns, but figured she'd be over it quickly. WRONG! In no time at all she went through all 50 rounds and then said "is that it?" She was rather disappointed, so next time I know to bring a lot more.

We had a great time and only wish we had more time to be out there. Jobs suck.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Thanks for the report. Great pics. I finally got out there last weekend and have to say that on a very pleasant Saturday afternoon it wasn't crowded at all. There were only 3 people on the handgun range, a husband and wife with their young son. They were using the whole thing since it was just them, but when we showed up they politely moved over and we all went about our business. They left shortly after and for the rest of the day we had the 10 yard range to ourselves. What I learned that day:

1. Don't **** my wife off. She is a damn good shot.
    2. She was previously hesitant to want to shoot. Now she loves it.
    3. There is no such thing as enough ammo. I only brought 50 rounds for her new XD, thinking she'd want to fire off a few and call it a day. I had ammo for my guns, but figured she'd be over it quickly. WRONG! In no time at all she went through all 50 rounds and then said "is that it?" She was rather disappointed, so next time I know to bring a lot more.

We had a great time and only wish we had more time to be out there. Jobs suck.

Been there, done that. Got the t-shirt :(

Top Bottom