• ...and so much more!
  • goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    That's exactly my point. I keep seeing people say "Well, my license doesn't say 'concealed', so therefore I can carry openly." The license also doesn't say you can't carry at a school, but it's still a felony. Using the text written on the license as a basis for any argument about what you can and cannot do with a handgun is a poor decision.

I had this conversation with my BIL & his brother a couple of weeks ago. They have grown up around guns--their father sold them for years. He's one of these guys who always has to be right too. While it wasn't a heated discussion, he hated that I stuck to the facts and didn't waver my stance. I told them both to go look it up online and they conceded. I'm fairly sure they probably looked it up though. HA!

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Sounds like the guy has been through a few state where only CC is allowed. He was doin it for the children.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Even "off duty"?

Are Indiana police officers ever legally "off duty"? It might be against their departmental policies, but I don't think the IC differentiates between on-duty and off-duty. Carrying a handgun is a crime in Indiana. The defense against the crime is your LTCH. An officer has the right to investigate what appears to be a crime in progress.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    If somebody in plain clothes asks to see my LTCH he/she will have to be able to show proof that they are LEO or the manager of the establishment. I don't know what the law says about a store manager being able to see it but I will show it to them to prove that I am legal since they have the right to ask me to leave.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    If somebody in plain clothes asks to see my LTCH he/she will have to be able to show proof that they are LEO or the manager of the establishment. I don't know what the law says about a store manager being able to see it but I will show it to them to prove that I am legal since they have the right to ask me to leave.

If he had identified himself as LEO, I might have acted differently, but who knows for sure...

If nothing else, I saw it as a chance to educate what appeared to be someone not understanding our current carry laws. I still think he really might have been an off-duty LEO. He was an older man and clearly not a fesh out of the acedemy rookie...

So for you OCers, how often is the first question "are you a cop?" asked by a non-LEO? This was the first time I was made and confronted. I have OCed only on one occasion so far, but will likely more in certain circumstances.

Mark

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

I would and have shown people my LTCH as an educational tool, usually at my offer rather than their request.

I would not oblige someone pretending to be a cop and demanding it though. Security guards come to mind.

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    If the guy were an off duty LEO, wouldn't he have identified himself as such or isn't he required to identify himself as such when conducting his "investigation"? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I'd just like to be informed.

Shouldn't we expect LEOs to know what the laws are? After all, they ARE supposed to enforce them.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    If the guy were an off duty LEO, wouldn't he have identified himself as such or isn't he required to identify himself as such when conducting his "investigation"? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I'd just like to be informed.

I would like to know this as well. If identification is required, then we can say he was likely not LEO.

Shouldn't we expect LEOs to know what the laws are? After all, they ARE supposed to enforce them.

Read some of the stories in this section...you will see that LEOs are not nearly as educated on the laws as you expect...

Mark

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    So for you OCers, how often is the first question "are you a cop?" asked by a non-LEO? This was the first time I was made and confronted. I have OCed only on one occasion so far, but will likely more in certain circumstances.

Mark

BTW.. am I wrong to think that if a stranger asks a person "are you a cop?" that it is some sort of test for a LEO to catch some idiot that legally carries for impersonating an officer?:dunno:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    BTW.. am I wrong to think that if a stranger asks a person "are you a cop?" that it is some sort of test for a LEO to catch some idiot that legally carries for impersonating an officer?:dunno:

I have been asked several times by many different types of people if I was a cop.

I have also been confronted by several LEOs about OCing and let me tell you, none of them will try to trip you up they want to either check you out (see your LTCH) or enforce their opinion of CC on you in direct violation of SB292 (IC 35-47-11.1).

Most people are simply curious and can think of no better question than "Hey, are you a cop or something?" I was at a park here in Evansville for my son's 1st BDay party and was asked twice within an hour.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I have been asked several times by many different types of people if I was a cop.

I have also been confronted by several LEOs about OCing and let me tell you, none of them will try to trip you up they want to either check you out (see your LTCH) or enforce their opinion of CC on you in direct violation of SB292 (IC 35-47-11.1).

Most people are simply curious and can think of no better question than "Hey, are you a cop or something?" I was at a park here in Evansville for my son's 1st BDay party and was asked twice within an hour.

Thanks for the great info. Good points on both LEO and non-LEO encounters. Being an OC newbie, was not sure to think.

Mark

wlr2

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I switch back and forth between OC and CC. In the 16 years that I have been carrying, I have only been asked if I was a cop twice. Besides, I live on the east side so I usually OC.
    just my :twocents:

Top Bottom