• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I was at West Park in Carmel with my son playing, biking, and fishing while carrying IWB under a t-shirt (didn't want to scare the sheep too bad).

I was watching my son play in the "creek" when another father asked if I was a police officer. At that moment, I realized my t-shirt rode up and left my gun exposed. Told him I was not. He then said that my gun was required to be concealed per the law. I then explained to him that the law was silent on method of carry and you can carry open or concealed. Then he mentioned he also has his carry permit and the permit was specifically for concealed carry. I told him again that it was not and does not mention method of carry. He then asked if I had mine with me and if he could see it. So I pulled it out and showed it to him. He then said thanks and he learned something new today!

All in all, a good experience and yet another person is now more aware about how you can carry!

But I am also wondering if he was not an off-duty cop there with his son due to the statements he made and questions he asked...

Mark

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hmmm...sounds kind of odd. Just to be snarky, if you were in the mood, you could have responded 'I'll show mine, if you show me yours'.

Kind of nervy, I'm thinking.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Pretty direct. If I "make" someone carrying, there is more that goes into what I think of them other than I know they have a heater on them. Call it "profiling", but yes it is. That guy who asked if you were a cop was pretty direct.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The guy couldn't look at his own LTCH?

Also, I wish people would stop quoting what's written on their License as a justification for the way they carry. The only text that matters is what's in the IC. The License can say that you can only carry breakfast cereal and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Direct he was! But he definitely seemed to not be knowledgable on the law... We have heard of enough stories of cops not knowing the laws regarding carrying.

Maybe he was a cop and was playing it low key at first since he thought I was not concealing my gun and did not want to make a big scene in front of his son...or maybe he was just what he appeared to be on the surface, an average citizen with permit that thought they had to carry concealed... If he was carrying, I did not notice.

Mark

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    If he was a cop, he had the legal authority to demand to see his LTCH. It wasn't necessary to trick him into it.

True, but he did have his son with him and maybe he did not want to make a scene.

Seemed like a nice guy...and if he was a cop, I am guessing he is not one of the JBT's we hear about.

Mark

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just because a person has a permit doesn't mean they carry. My father in law has his and doesn't even own a handgun. His LTCH is not on his person. My father has his LTCH and keeps it in his sock drawer with his snub, which he never carries. My sister has her LTCH and doesn't own a handgun.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    You'd honestly be surprised how many people aren't aware of the Indiana carry laws.

I've got a good friend of mine that has been part of a family (and has a father that owns) a very, very large gun store...
    Not to mention he has the largest armory of firearms I have literally ever seen by an individual...

And up until last month, had no idea that you could legally open carry in the state of Indiana.

JenTheGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Castleton, IN
    I had no idea you could OC in Indiana before I joined this site. I've never seen anyone do it either, beyond uniformed officers. Before I knew the laws it probably would have made me nervous, especially in a park with my kid. (My thoughts about firearms have evolved quite a bit recently). BUT, the guy didn't act nervous, and he didn't treat you like you were up to no good. It was cool that he started the conversation about it and didn't just take his kid and leave like a less informed more naive me might have done a few years ago.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Well how many people do you actually see open carrying every day? We don't know which one walking down the street is carrying concealed because...it's concealed. We know if they are OCing

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've been seeing a LOT more OC in the last two years than I've seen in a long time. It's fantastic. Nowadays, I see someone either OC'ing outright or sloppy-concealing just about every day.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Just because a person has a permit doesn't mean they carry. My father in law has his and doesn't even own a handgun. His LTCH is not on his person. My father has his LTCH and keeps it in his sock drawer with his snub, which he never carries. My sister has her LTCH and doesn't own a handgun.

Also true the other way around by the way.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The weird thing was that you were not open carrying. The guy sounds like a nosey d!## to me, since he was basically issuing you a warning that, since you have accidentally exposed your gun, you could get in trouble. He probably could care less about the law, and just wanted you to hide that scary thing!

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The guy couldn't look at his own LTCH?

Also, I wish people would stop quoting what's written on their License as a justification for the way they carry. The only text that matters is what's in the IC. The License can say that you can only carry breakfast cereal and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

I am confused as to what you mean by quoting what is written on their license. Nowhere on there does it mention oc or cc. I believe it did a long time ago but not anymore.

I get people all the time because I OC alot that say it is illegal. They say it is a concealed carry license afterall. I ask them really where does it say that, what code. I show them my license and ask where it states that. Usually they go away educated. I tell them who I am. Mam/sir I am normal college educated family man father or 4 I carry because I am ultimately responsible for my family. Remember when seconds count the cops are only minutes away.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I am confused as to what you mean by quoting what is written on their license. Nowhere on there does it mention oc or cc. I believe it did a long time ago but not anymore.

That's exactly my point. I keep seeing people say "Well, my license doesn't say 'concealed', so therefore I can carry openly." The license also doesn't say you can't carry at a school, but it's still a felony. Using the text written on the license as a basis for any argument about what you can and cannot do with a handgun is a poor decision.

Top Bottom