• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I've read the history, but know of no-one that owns, or has ever owned one. I have a line on one for what seems to be a decent price, but am unfamiliar with any idiosyncratic oddities or such that I should be aware of before I decide to buy or not. It's of course a 30-.06, has been sporterized, and has led a life of use. I'd be looking at it for deer in the UP, maybe bear or elk some day. Educate me!

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I just did a Google search, and oddly enough, found one on Armslist. I'm near certain it isn't the same one, as the one I have lined up is a friend of a friend and the guy is from up around N. Manchester and this one is in Indianapolis, but too weird. Two in two days!

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was given one that was also sporterized and for about $200 I put her back to her former glory with all Eddystone parts and stock. They are well made rifles, but they are extremely heavy. I love mine and if you get a good price go for it ! A lot of these were turned into hunting rifles back in the day.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    proud owner of 7 p17's, 3 are sporterized, other 4 are all original. very good shooting guns and accuracy is up to the shooter. early winchesters were known to have issues, i enjoy mine very much.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    proud owner of 7 p17's, 3 are sporterized, other 4 are all original. very good shooting guns and accuracy is up to the shooter. early winchesters were known to have issues, i enjoy mine very much.

Any peculiarities or problems I should look for? I'm not necessarily looking to restore it, in fact more looking for a hunting rifle. The one M1917 I've coonfingered (not from Armslist) was in the $300 range, which seems reasonable given the quality look and feel of the sporterization (is that a word?) work.

Prior to finding these two rifles, I've been leaning towards a .270, but the rifles I've really liked have been a bit more demanding on the pocketbook than I have budgeted. Would that my budget were $1000 I'd be looking for a Ruger M77RSI.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    If it's been sporterized then the only concerns is if it was serviceable and the work done meets your standards and needs. The M1917 action is hell for strong and has been used for a lot of large caliber magnum builds in the past.

Top Bottom