• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If she hasn't shot any guns well, then trying different guns may not be the answer. I would pick one and work with her until she can shoot it well.

Trust me... I am working on it.... Its tuff to explain on the internet, but its not from lack of trying, or instruction. Its more a lack of confidence.... she is so afraid of making a mistake, that trigger time takes a LOOONG time to get through and she way over thinks it. But most guns have not fit her very well either.

This is not a gun for her... this is for my enjoyment plinking at a slower pace and bettering MY skills. Its just a bonus if its something the can handle as well.... The simplicity might make her relax a bit.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    S&W 586-686 pre lock are hard to beat, if my life depended on a revolver that would be the one. Rugers are fine, rugged revolvers but the one thing I have aginst them is the tang frame.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I have a .22 for that already.... Looking for something with some beef.

What model designations for the K frame should I be looking for?

Used S&W Model 10s and 15s can be found pretty reasonably, especially Model 10s. They are the same revolver except the M15 has adjustable rear sights and sometimes target triggers and wide spur hammers. Mine is well used and isn't the prettiest in the world but it is the best trigger I've ever felt on any pistol I've ever shot. It also shoots far better than I am capable of.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Its funny how once you are out of the industry you forget so much.... I know at one point I had all the answers to what I am about to ask in my head, but after a few years not working in a gun store I seem to have forgotten most of it.

I am looking for a lower cost (but quality) revolver strictly for target shooting. I shot a friends K frame 38 special with I think a 5 inch barrel and REALLY liked the feel and the accuracy. I was able to shoot it way more accurately than any of my auto's. So I just want to have a fun plinker that doesn't eat ammo 15 at a time. I don't want to spend a ton, and if I remember right the used k frames used to go for around 450. Not so sure that's the case anymore. and I don't remember exactly what models they were. I know I want QUALITY sights, which are adjustable. Again I recall those being standard.

Can you guys point me in the right direction of what I need to be keeping an eye out for?

Others have mentioned this, but what about the 4.2" SP101? Target sights, not overly heavy for someone of smaller stature, yet still heavy enough to dampen recoil... Ruger SP101® Double-Action Revolver Model 5771

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If .357 is not a must, my wife (with weak little hands) does well with a 4" model 15 S&W wearing Hogue finger groove grips. Blued finish, adjustable sights. Very accurate, plenty strong enough for the hotest +P ammo. It is accurate and easy to shoot well.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Model 19 in 357, just a classic in every sense!
    old model 66 in 357 (they just reintroduced this one, you'll want the older version of you can find)

a model 10 or model 16 in 38 spl (police trade-in) is more widely available and less expensive than these other ones.
    Maybe a model 64 ??

I've always been of the opinion that if you're getting a wheelgun in .38 spl, you might as well get it in .357 just for the diversity.
    IF you already have a 357 wheelgun, then get a dedicated . 38 spl --- I don't think you'll be disappointed and they tend to be very accurate, fun, low-recoiling, not-so-intimidating.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Model 19 in 357, just a classic in every sense!
    old model 66 in 357 (they just reintroduced this one, you'll want the older version of you can find)

a model 10 or model 15 in 38 spl (police trade-in) is more widely available and less expensive than these other ones.
    Maybe a model 64 ??

I've always been of the opinion that if you're getting a wheelgun in .38 spl, you might as well get it in .357 just for the diversity.
    IF you already have a 357 wheelgun, then get a dedicated . 38 spl --- I don't think you'll be disappointed and they tend to be very accurate, fun, low-recoiling, not-so-intimidating.

FIFY ;)

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    You might consider a S&W model 65-5 if you can find one for a reasonable price. Mine has had the bobbed hammer added. I load some light 38 Spl loads for it and it is a pleasure to shoot and really accurate, my wife loves it.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    If you got 2K burning a hole in your pocket, get one of these, this is one of my favorite revolvers - 4" Colt Python, unfortunately the price on them has went thru the roof and to the moon. But they sure are Purdy and sweet shooters

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    no colts for me. No Taurus's either. and rugers come in a distant second.

that model 65 is pretty far from what I am looking for with no target sights.

Top Bottom