• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    I have a Makarov PM I'm Thinking about getting rid of . I live in Brownsburg . I'm thinking of buying a Kel-Tec .
    If you would be interested in a trade reply on this thread or contact me at 45mckee@gmail.com

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Good value plinkers sub $100

At the prices they go for now there are better options. Mak has unique caliber, so you won't find ammo at all stores. Trigger is heavy and terrible. Quality varies a lot between countries - Russian and E German seem to be nicest.

For about the same $ you could get one of the new S&W Sigma pistols

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    IMHO, I think the Makarov is a great gun. I have a Bulgarian Mak, and an FEG PA-63. I actually like the PA63, and think it's a good shooter and CC gun.

As to the Spetsnaz holster, I have considered them, but would not use them for OC. To me, the ability to draw from both directions only makes gun grabs easier, and I have heard people suggest that they will tear your finish up.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

At the prices they go for now there are better options. Mak has unique caliber, so you won't find ammo at all stores. Trigger is heavy and terrible. Quality varies a lot between countries - Russian and E German seem to be nicest.

Ewwww! How could you even mention those two guns in the same post. Yuck.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER

If you prefer a plastic gun, that's fine, just more Mak's for the rest of us.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN

:draw: be gone troll. One does not complain about a trigger being terrible then suggest a Sigma as a better alternative.

And anyone remember sub-$100 Mak's?

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Maks have more problems than just the trigger. Slip in the river while carrying one and you're fish bait. Unless physical dimensions are your primary reason for getting one then there are far better options for the $. S&W lifetime warranty, and unlike Taurus, you rarely need to test the S&W warranty.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Also I was wondering if they make a 9mm conversion kit like they do for the tokarev?

The Makarov round is, of course, 9MM (9X18). If you mean 9MM Luger (9X19), I've never seen one. The 9X18 is supposedly the most powerful round this design can handle.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Maks have more problems than just the trigger. Slip in the river while carrying one and you're fish bait. Unless physical dimensions are your primary reason for getting one then there are far better options for the $. S&W lifetime warranty, and unlike Taurus, you rarely need to test the S&W warranty.

Bushwa! Who is concerned about self-defense against fish? And who said anything about Taurus? If you want to shill for Smith & Wesson, go somewhere else. They weren't even the topic of this conversation. :nuts:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a new production IMEZ produced Makarov in .380 instead of the usual 9 X 18. The little pistol is easy to shoot well. I entered a carry pistol match in Kokomo with it. I took home the 2nd place plaque behind a big guy that wore a trench coat to conceal his compensated Caspian 1911 with an aim point. He said that was his "concealed carry" gun. In my mind my $119 Makarov compact was the winner. It was a good little pistol.

Last edited:

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Bushwa! Who is concerned about self-defense against fish? And who said anything about Taurus? If you want to shill for Smith & Wesson, go somewhere else. They weren't even the topic of this conversation. :nuts:

Come, come now. And when did Feg and Tokarev become the topic of conversation (post #20)

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    True, but is it really possible to consider one pistol in complete isolation. There are always alternatives - even at the same price point. Then again, the OP got some really good info on the desired subject matter :):

Top Bottom