• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Assuming it can shoot 600 yards. Maybe something more along the lines of 300 yards.

Not looking for tactical stuff, but rather a plausible hunting scope.

Oh, and not crazy-expensive. Something versatile, thinking small game up to Bambi-size. (No rat terriers :noway:)

Have been looking at the Nikon stuff, but there's so much to choose from...

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Economical = sub $250 including rings if possible...

I know Nikon has a bunch in this range.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I've heard good things about Mueller and the lower end of the Vortex line, I've got a BSA that hits that price point. I'm not a fantastic precision shooter by any means, but after several range sessions, I'm already looking to upgrade to clearer glass. It's good for the price, but I don't think mine would be clear enough much past 200.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Do you plan to dial or hold for range? If you want the option of dialing,

The thing you will need that is most often looked over and forgot about is tracking. Folks assume every scope tracks, and in real like less than 50% do. Tracking is basically the adjustement on the turret doing exactly (not close to) what it says it does. If a scope doesnt track properly then basically everytime you want to dial the turrets then you just un sighted in your rifle.

AO/PA is a 100% must have for you.

To be right honest with your options are very limited with your intended budget because its on a ar15. Trustworthy mounting for the ar15 is not cheap. You will have 70-80 bucks in a burris pepr cantilever mount leaving your scope budget an 170-180 The only scope in your pricerange on the market that tracks and has ao is

priced at 179
    Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO V-Plex

You can get the same scoppe in a bdc reticle (money well spent) but it will cost you 189 wich breaks your budget.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Do you plan to dial or hold for range? If you want the option of dialing,

The thing you will need that is most often looked over and forgot about is tracking. Folks assume every scope tracks, and in real like less than 50% do. Tracking is basically the adjustement on the turret doing exactly (not close to) what it says it does. If a scope doesnt track properly then basically everytime you want to dial the turrets then you just un sighted in your rifle.

AO/PA is a 100% must have for you.

To be right honest with your options are very limited with your intended budget because its on a ar15. Trustworthy mounting for the ar15 is not cheap. You will have 70-80 bucks in a burris pepr cantilever mount leaving your scope budget an 170-180 The only scope in your pricerange on the market that tracks and has ao is

priced at 179
    Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 4-12x40 AO V-Plex

You can get the same scoppe in a bdc reticle (money well spent) but it will cost you 189 wich breaks your budget.

Well, rings separate then. :):

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Well, rings separate then. :):

With rings seperatly I would look at this option for 199

Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 4-12x50 AO Dead-Hold BDC

I think since this is a hunting based scope the 50mm bell's extra light gathering will come in handy, and I think the 4-12 zoom range is where I would want to be. If you go much higher your lowest zoom setting would still make close range shots dificult.

For me a scope that doesnt track is not worth my time to even sight in. these scopes track perfectly all accross the internal travel, not just in the center.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I installed a Vortex Crossfire 2 on my LR 308 6X18 X 44 and am very satisfied with the scope. Actually more than pleased for the money. I have shot using much more expensive scopes and this one compares very favorable with any I have seen under $600. Although I don't expect to need it the warranty is better than any I have seen. Clarity is excellent, focus works great - good reticule, no issues at all.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I have the Crossfire II 4-12x40AO on my CZ452. I can't recommend it enough. I hate to admit it, but the glass is noticibly better than my 2 Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40's, and I love those scopes. I used to scoff at "scope snobs," but the Vortex is turning me into one.

Running the Vortex through a box test at 50 yards, it passed with flying colors, and dialing up and down for range between 25-150 yards (we're talking .22LR...12ish MOA elevation if I remember right), it comes right back to 0. If you want custom uncapped turrets made, I think they are available from Vortex. I sincerely doubt you'll dissapointed with a Crossfire II, especially if you are used to similarly priced scopes like I was. The 4-12x40AO sounds like it'd be a good fit for what you're trying to do with it.

I bought mine on a whim on a trip back to Missouri last year (and soon realized I paid too much for it), but the next Vortex I buy will be from 42769vette, if for no other reason than the support and sound advice he gives on here.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I bought mine on a whim on a trip back to Missouri last year (and soon realized I paid too much for it), but the next Vortex I buy will be from 42769vette, if for no other reason than the support and sound advice he gives on here.

I look forward to hearing from you and appriciate the honest review

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I installed a Vortex Crossfire 2 on my LR 308 6X18 X 44 and am very satisfied with the scope. Actually more than pleased for the money. I have shot using much more expensive scopes and this one compares very favorable with any I have seen under $600. Although I don't expect to need it the warranty is better than any I have seen. Clarity is excellent, focus works great - good reticule, no issues at all.

Been looking at one of those myself, unfortunately I'm in the market for a 30mm tube to fit my existing mount. GRRRR

Have heard great things about them!

dragun762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    my vote would go to Nikon. reasonable price, proven reliability, and I believe a lifetime warranty. I read good reviews about the midrange Bushnell's too.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Bought a few scopes and some rings from Alan. Great guy to work with. He will point you in the right direction. Also, IMHO get the best possible scope and rings your budget will allow. Sell something if you have to. The investment is well worth it. And, if you want to be anywhere near accurate at 600 you must pay for it. Again, it's money well spent.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I've been very pleased with Vortex as a company and can recommend their products and service to anyone!!
    You might consider going a few dollars over and getting into the Vortex Diamondback line. Also, the Nikons are not a bad options by any means.
    You'll need some pretty fine crosshairs for shooting at 600 yds.

Edit: Try some of these scopes side by side if you can, then decide

Top Bottom