• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redryder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Evansville IN
    There is a post about an Owensboro Police Officer having his rifle stolen. What kind of EBR do the police carry, an AR15 or do they get to carry M16? Just kinda curious, I live in Evansville.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Almost all patrol rifles are AR15s. That said, there are many "neutered" M16s on loan from DoD that serve in this capacity, and "neutered" means that they are now semi-only.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    M60 was more of a fire supression weapon. Slow rate of fire and fairly accurate. No fun to change barrels though.:)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We are issued M16A1's with the select fire replaced. Great rifles. However, we are allowed to carry our own and here is mine. Bushmaster with a Colt pencil barrel. It is very light and simple. I am not a fan of a lot gadgets.
    Bushmaster31.jpg

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    We are issued M16A1's with the select fire replaced. Great rifles. However, we are allowed to carry our own and here is mine. Bushmaster with a Colt pencil barrel. It is very light and simple. I am not a fan of a lot gadgets.
    Bushmaster31.jpg

Denny, when you say the select fire replaced, do you mean replaced with semi parts ? Also, cant LEOs ( with permission from thier superior) aquire class 3 arms for thier patrol weapons ??

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Denny, when you say the select fire replaced, do you mean replaced with semi parts ? Also, cant LEOs ( with permission from thier superior) aquire class 3 arms for thier patrol weapons ??
    Yeah, they replace the entire trigger assembly with new semi-auto parts. Class 3 full-auto can only be purchased by the department (unless pre 1986 of course). Now we can carry a SBR as a patrol rifle but I see little use for it. Our patrol rifles do not go into buildings (perimeter only) unless there is an active shooter so I see little dis advantage with my 16" barrel. Now I do have a department issued Remington 870 SBS with a 14" barrel that I like clearing houses with. As a department, we have few select fire rifles. Even our SWAT team does not like them. It seems that aimed fire will trump select fire every time.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Except for the EOThingy, light, Redi-Mag, aftermarket stock, pistol grip, and tactical sling. ;)
    Haha, yeah. I thought that when I was writing it. YOU JUST HAD TO CALL ME OUT ON IT...hahaha. I see rifles that every new gadget attached to it. Optics are VERY helpful and I like full-time iron back-up sights that I do not need to mess with if the optics take a dump. I was trained to have a spare mag on my rifle at all times in case I do not have time to throw on my plate carrier with my extra mags. With a collapsible stock, the issued stock pouch does not work well. The Redi-mag was a natural choice. I love that thing and have made hundreds of mag changes with it. The Vltor stock and Magpul grip...well I just splurged ;). I'm not a fan of vertical grips, handguard rails, lasers, bi-pods, h-bars, fold down sights, or stuff like that for this particular application (not in general). The issued 3-point sling just got in my way. It kept getting hooked on my duty belt gear. The Urban ERT sling is sooo much more simple and user friendly.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Haha, yeah. I thought that when I was writing it. YOU JUST HAD TO CALL ME OUT ON IT

Yeah, I couldn't help myself. Somebody holds the door open, I gotta walk through. :)

I see rifles that every new gadget attached to it. Optics are VERY helpful and I like full-time iron back-up sights that I do not need to mess with if the optics take a dump. I was trained to have a spare mag on my rifle at all times in case I do not have time to throw on my plate carrier with my extra mags. With a collapsible stock, the issued stock pouch does not work well. The Redi-mag was a natural choice. I love that thing and have made hundreds of mag changes with it. The Vltor stock and Magpul grip...well I just splurged ;). I'm not a fan of vertical grips, handguard rails, lasers, bi-pods, h-bars, fold down sights, or stuff like that for this particular application (not in general). The issued 3-point sling just got in my way. It kept getting hooked on my duty belt gear. The Urban ERT sling is sooo much more simple and user friendly.

I don't have a problem with adding or changing things if they are being added or changed for a legitimate reason. Some of the .mil carbines I've seen look like they've got everything but the kitchen sink hanging off of them, but each piece or device serves a unique and specific function for that particular soldier's mission. What I don't believe in, however, is adding crap for crap's sake. I think that's what you were getting at.

Finally, to a degree, "adding a lot of stuff" is in the eye of the beholder. There are some things I do to my carbines as a matter of course, because they fit my preference, shooting style and applications. In the grand scheme, they're pretty modest. But somebody who's into "retro" guns might say "man you've got a bunch of crap on that gun!" ;)

Top Bottom