• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Well, I picked up a RCBS tumbler for only 50$! I will get my brass tumbled here after they dry (at least 48hours). It had some media in it already, not sure what kind. Very small brown material.

Also, the same person has a RCBS turret style press. Any idea what is way to much for it. Keep in mind its probably an older style (maybe 10 years old)

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Sounds like crushed walnut shells. I have no experience with it but was told it can
    leave a coat of wax on your brass. I always use corn cob media. I have had bad luck
    with Lyman vibrators and dies. I'm glad you found RCBS tools. Look them up on the
    web, check what new costs, offer half to start...new dies and tools still fit.
    BUY A RELOADING MANUAL>>>STUDY IT!!! Nothing is more expensive than ignorance!

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I think its crushed walnut as well. And what type of brass cleaner do I use? Surely I just can't throw some brasso in there right? All I know is the tumbler is not meant for liquid

coyn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Syracuse
    I've read that a lot of people will put a little flitz polish in their media or something similar. I just use a typical metal polish that you can find at any hardware store or Walmart. Make sure to run the tumbler for a little while after putting the polish in before you put the brass in or you'll have a mess to clean out of the brass.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Check the ingredients on the brass cleaner as well. It is widely accepted to NOT use anything containing ammonia in it. It will weaken the brass.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Oh it is.
    Problem is, tumblers make dust, (at least with corn cob, never tried walnut.)
    If I put a dust generator 20 feet from where my wife was doing laundry, she would conniption all over me :)
    Then there's folks that will tell you the dust can be a source of lead contamination from the lead styphnate in primers.
    I'm not sure how big a source it really is, but since my blood test came back high, I switched to an ultra sonic and only use the tumbler to clean case lube off rifle cases after I size 'em.

Now just to be clear, I'm not saying you're gonna get lead poisoning from your tumbler. I'm saying over 20+ years, it might be part of the reason my lead level is high. And, that making a bunch of dust next to your wife's laundry room is maybe not the smartest thing to do if you want to stay married.

Long version, but that's why I don't think much of slotted tops on tumblers.

The lymans come with a solid top as well as the slotted one. Both mine did. ;)

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    So as long as it doesn't have any ammonia. Are they any paticular brands that I can pick up at wally world or should I just order online?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have been saving the brass I fire as well for the time when I get into reloading, but I had no idea ranges would let you just pick up brass off the floor. It seems like they would either recycle it for a small bit of cash or require shooters to take their trash out with them.

Are some ranges just whoever feels like picking it up can have it?

Pop guns will let you sweep up anything behind the firing line however it is nice to ask people if they want theirs if someone is usin that lane.

Atterburry will let you pick up your own (As long as you sweep up in your area and that area alone you are fine) they have many 5 gallon buckets full of spent brass and was told I could not take it.

Just ask before you do.

Top Bottom