• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Well Ingo gang, since it's been a rainy spring day, I decided to take the plunge so to speak and Color Die my wife's AR15 furniture. She is not a pink kinda girl, More of a boot stomp 'in, Whiskey Drink'in, Purple Gun girl.

Supplies needed were:

1. A large aluminum stock pot filled halfway with water.
    2. (1) Bottle of Rite Dye, in this case the color was Purple
    3. (1) cut and bent coat hanger to make a hook for holding parts while dipping.
    4. Electric or gas range to heat the water and dye mixture just to but not at the point of boiling.
    5. Some rubbing alcohol for degreasing the furniture before dipping.
    6. A sink preferably close by for rinsing the parts in cold water after dipping.
    7. A counter or table with some paper towel layed out to set the parts on after rinsing so the can dry.

Not sure on what all colors of Magpul Furniture can be Dyed, but I'm sure the FDE (Tan) could be changed into about any color that's darken than the base tan it 'self. It took the Purple dye I used just great.

Just add the full bottle of Dye to the pot of water. Heat the water to just where the bubbles begin to surface as it begins to boil then back the heat off just a little to keep it hot but not boiling. Take the wire hanger and slide the furniture over it, use the holes, slots etc. in the furniture to poke the wire thru and bend the end of the wire to secure the part on it. Dip the part in the Dye, swish the part from side to side fully submerged in the dye for 40 seconds. Raise the part out of the dye and let it drip off any excess dye. Move the part to the sink, rinse it thoroughly in cold water to clear water runs off it and the part is cool to the touch. At this point the color is locked in the plastic and you can touch and move the part to the paper towel to dry.

I used the 40 second rule as it gave me the color tint I wanted and a time guide so each part was the same shade of purple. I also suggest doing all your parts in the same pot of dye so the color matches.

Pretty simple process. Give it a try and take your time, you'll be pleased with the results.

And now for the pictures.............

Before....

IMG_0881_zpsbe7a51ac.jpg

During the process...... Looked like a pan of Hot Grape juice to me :D

3_zps7800a455.jpg

After it was assembled.............

7_zps4734cda3.jpg

6_zpsc18dc35d.jpg

The wetness on the parts is just rinse water. Before I assembled everything back together, I used a hair dryer to blow dry the excess moisture and water out of the nooks and crannies of the parts.

1_zps8d233b03.jpg

2_zpsc9fefc61.jpg

Shawno31b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    This is one the info I've been needing! Now to try it out! Thanks, any suggestions to make of green dye?!

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    This is one the info I've been needing! Now to try it out! Thanks, any suggestions to make of green dye?!

Depending on the shade of Green your looking for, Rit has a Green dye. Check out this link and if you click on the different shades of Green or use the color line at mid page, it will tell you the various color fomulas to create that specific shade.
    ColoRit Color Formula Guide | Rit Dye

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Some sort of waterproof paint?

Did you seal it so your sweat doesn't wear it off?

No sealer needed and sweat won't affect it. This dye is permanent. I did a lot of reading and from what I understand the process of the heated water opens up the pores in the plastic and the dye penetrates into it. I'm sure a deep gouge or scratch would show up as the original FDE color. Normal guns oils and solvents aren't supposed to affect the dye either.

Beardown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern Indy
    Wow that's pretty awesome. That purple furniture would be pretty popular with the LSU fans down here in Louisiana. I've got a couple forend grips I may give that process a try on. Thanks for sharing!

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    No!!! All that beautiful FDE...

is now girly purple (gurlple?). :(

For real though, that turned out really well!

Jimeni1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    West Carrollton
    Hopefully you are still watching. My wife finally shot my AR, now I am getting ready to dye the FDE furniture purple on her new AR. She really liked the shade of yours. Question is, what size was the pot you used, or how much water did you add? I dont want to dilute the dye too much, or worse, not enough. Thanks.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom