• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjordan2840

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    lafayette
    my friends I have asked are split. I'm sure you guys can give me a better argument for or against. Is a dust cover a needed accessory or just an extra feature? Same question for forward assists. I know what the function of the forward assist is, but other than storage, what is the dust cover used for?

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I just built an upper and thought about going with a smooth side reciever. I decided against it because 1: they look funny to me and 2: its better to have and not need. As for the dust cover, what if you drop your gun ejection port down? Youll spend less time cleaning it out, that is, if you have it closed.

Dan Wilson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Monterey
    Dont skip either, the forward assist is really needed, the bunny gun is really finicky about working if you get any dirt or too much unburned powder built up and if it happens that's the only way your going to get the bolt to go home

Dust cover, like mentioned above it will keep dirt out if you drop it and once again, the ol bunny gun is finicky about dirt.

But the big secret on the dust cover is to remember to use it, I never can.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The forward assist and dust cover are evolutionary extremities that only remain due to nostalgia.
    The reasons for their creation were resolved decades ago.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Dont skip either, the forward assist is really needed, the bunny gun is really finicky about working if you get any dirt or too much unburned powder built up and if it happens that's the only way your going to get the bolt to go home

Dust cover, like mentioned above it will keep dirt out if you drop it and once again, the ol bunny gun is finicky about dirt.

But the big secret on the dust cover is to remember to use it, I never can.

I'm going to do a 180 and respectfully disagree with you.

If the "bunny gun" as you put it were so finicky then it's service would have been ceased decades ago.
    The fact that it continues to he used only proves it's reliability in many environments abd in the hands of many skill levels by the members in the armed forces.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im not sure I have ever needed my forward assist, or dustcover.

I also dont think I heve said "man I wish this thing didn't have a forward assist or dust cover"

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    The dust cover was designed more for harsh environments than aesthetics to keep debris out of the bolt area. The forward assist is there for when routine cleaning can't happen, such as in a battlefield type environment. In our "sporting" type shooting world they aren't really needed but in a "sandbox" environment they are.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    The forward assist and dust cover are evolutionary extremities that only remain due to nostalgia.

I'd rather have them and not need them then to not have them and need them.

If your AR lives in the safe, get stuffed in a case, then to the range in your vehicle and never sees conditions where you would need the dust cover, then yes it is not needed. Same with the forward assist, if you never do a press check, then hit the forward assist to make sure the bolt is all the way forward, then it is not needed either.

I'll keep both, since mine do not live in a bubble.

:twocents:

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I have 3 AR builds without dust covers and forward assist. I have never had a problem.

Having said that, if you ever plan on using this gun in an extended combat theater, then I would certainly consider them.

I like the looks of the slick side, makes the gun look a lot smoohter.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana

If your AR lives in the safe, get stuffed in a case, then to the range in your vehicle and never sees conditions where you would need the dust cover, then yes it is not needed. Same with the forward assist, if you never do a press check, then hit the forward assist to make sure the bolt is all the way forward, then it is not needed either.

My guns don't live in a bubble either. I treat a handfull like red headed step children to be honest.

Press checking a FA is looking for a warm and fuzzy on a piece of kit you just dont trust. Old habits die hard, I get it. But if the rifle your slinging works as it should then let the bolt fly forward, no press check needed. dust cover, unless your pouring a pound of baby powder into teh port Ive seen crude get in there that should of locked up guns tight. Nope, still ran.
    i'm not saying no one should have them, they should be stopped. I'm saying they do not serve AS MUCH as a useful purpose as people think. This isnt the 60's and with 1st introduction of these rifles with the wrong powder that caused issues or non chrome line bores that cause issues. I'm talking state of the art production line QC'ed equipment of a 60+ year old design.
    If you run into an issue where a FA would have helped you also run into an issue where some sort of maitance was required or ammo was at fault. Cramming a cartridge into a chamber isnt the smart way of handling it, but it might have been the only way 'back in the day".

Rather have and not need than need and not have is a sound piece of advice. But at what point are you overloaded with items simply because they give you a sense of security that you can fix a problem when it occurs. I would rather spend my $ on something that I know will work, no matter what and leave the what ifs to someone else.

BTW, I drive a car with no spare tire or jack. I don't use roads in a bubble or keep it parked in the garage either.

:twocents::twocents:
    keep the change

Dan Wilson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Monterey
    I'm going to do a 180 and respectfully disagree with you.

If the "bunny gun" as you put it were so finicky then it's service would have been ceased decades ago.
    The fact that it continues to he used only proves it's reliability in many environments abd in the hands of many skill levels by the members in the armed forces.
    Well it does and continues to have some severe reliability issues in the field (granted its much less that in past history), many of the soldiers that are okay with the failures are ones that have never fired older service weapons or have never fired other guns and dont know what what their missing

Army's constant response to the failures hasn't changed at all in the last 47 years it's "Your not cleaning it enough"

As for continuing in service with sometimes abysmal failure records, its pretty much boils down to politics and inertia.

Just before I retired, the Army was buying another lot of 40K rifles, from Colt and the price? 1350 bucks a pop! Some quantity discount huh, that is the inertia and worse kicking in.

When I finally broke down and bought myself a bunny gun aka poodle shooter, I went the extra bucks and bought CMMG rifles with the piston system because during my 25 years dealing with these things, direct impingement and the resulting mess is one thing I wasn't going to pay money for (and those CMMG rifles are really nice too).

I realize that above is just personal observations and just my personal opinion and it will differ from many folks that love the rifle. Range shooting and humping the rifle through the field also have a huge difference in the reliability and performance as well.

Bottom line for me is I am just a dinosaur that loves his M1 Garands with 150 grains of thumpdown power, just like in pistols I carry 45 acp's throwing 230 grains- I just have a fixation with nice heavy weights, you mileage may vary.

jtmason15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    Grant County
    If you plan to use the gun for just recreational shooting I would leave them out. But if you are wanting to use it for defense of yourself and your family I would add them in. You dont want to ever take any chances when it comes to safety of your family. Although many of the problems that needed the dust cover and forward assist have been solved, the forward assist actually can help if you get a small speck of dirt in the chamber and it refuses to close all the way, you can help it along. And with the dust cover it might not end up there in the first place.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    had to use my forward assist on my ar a few times (mostly target practice on 10* days), in fact had to use it for the first 3 shots (till the gun warmed up). since then it has been a must have on my last build.

as far as the dust cover goes, i like the looks and it does keep debris out of the bolt.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Ever had an M-16 in a sand storm? You probably wouldn't think the dust cover was just there for nostalgia.

For play guns that don't see rough conditions, it probably doesn't matter. For a real fighting gun that may see carry in environments that aren't ideal, its a must.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley

This about sums it up. It isn't a necessity until you're in a situation where it becomes a necessity. Think of it like car insurance. Many people spend a lifetime paying for car insurance and never need it. Some people spend a lifetime wishing they had payed for car insurance for that one instance they actually needed it.

Top Bottom