• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    So i've been enamored here lately at so many different "paint-jobs" of guns, that i'm inspired to try something myself. I have three AR-15 lowers on order; one will be a DMR in .308, one will be pink/black for the missus, and i'm not sure what to make the other one.

As of yet, i haven't painted anything, but i'd like a walkthrough if anyone has one. I know to sand with 400 wet/dry prior to the first coat, and finish off with a clearcoat, but other than that, i'm not sure what type of paint to use. Spray paint i can get at wally world? Automotive engine paint from autozone? Some special heat-resistant paint i'm unaware of?

Thanks in advance, hopefully i can camo out one of my shotguns before i try this on a full AR build.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have done several of mine with Indygunworks. Here is my advice.
    If you want anything more than halfassed quality.
    1. disassemble the gun and do each piece seperate.
    2. in a tub use a generous amount of dawn soap and a few tooth brushes.... scrub the **** out of the metal and degrease it very well.... soap on the metal not the water
    3. use acetone to find where there is still grease/water. With a syringe spray it all over the metal, it will evaporate almost immediately. If water beads up there is still grease on that spot.
    4. Its a bit like airbrush, start the spray move to the metal then come back, move smoothly and constantly not to blemish. If you mix colors, mix plenty to keep it consistent.
    4 1/2. Don't worry about the perfect paint to hardner mix, its pretty flexible if you get it close.
    5. Hang to dry
    6. use plenty of masking tape to punch the pins back in to not scratch the new paint
    7. Take plenty of in progress pics for INGO ;)

HTH
    RNM

IMG00030.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

Last edited:

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I've used the duracoat shake and spray kits several times and it works great for me. Take your time to prep it as they instruct in the kit and it will go well. I am doing two more firearms in the next week or so, both using the duracoat shake and spray kits.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Duracoat

Duracoat is not hard to use if you follow the directions and I will put it up against any spray paint job for durability. Have been using it for several years on handguns, rifles and shotguns.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Duracoat is not hard to use if you follow the directions and I will put it up against any spray paint job for durability. Have been using it for several years on handguns, rifles and shotguns.
    Chance, maybe this is a stupid question, but would duracoat work on a stainless barrel??? Starting to have ideas about trying if you think it will...

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Chance, maybe this is a stupid question, but would duracoat work on a stainless barrel??? Starting to have ideas about trying if you think it will...

Duracoat will work on a stainless barrel, AFAIK if it has a high polish it might need to be bead blasted to rough up the surface a bit, might want to send a PM to Corey of Nash Gunwerx or Nick at Indygunworks to double check that though... they both know there stuff.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    SS no problem

Yes, it will work on stainless also. You can actually use it over bluing, to seal and keep brass from tarnishing, etc.. I have always prepped mine with a good 400 grit abrasive cloth. You can bead blast but I have not found it necessary to get good results. You should use the Trustrip cleaner from Duracoat (Lauer Custom weaponry). Practice a little with your air brush until you can move at a constant speed and keep the same distance from your project. You will need to decide how to fixture each part you plan to spray. I use dorwel rods for barrels. fine wire for small parts and put screws in a piece of foam or cardboard to hold them.

Top Bottom