• ...and so much more!
  • theboss365

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    PLYMOUTH
    I WAS THINKING ABOUT DOING SOME DURACOATING TO ONE OF MY GUNS. YOUR THOUGHTS? ANYONE DONE IT THEMSELVES? IS IT DURABLE OR NOT? I HAVE DONE SOME LOOKING ONLINE, BUT ALL I CAN FIND IS SIGHTS TRYING TO SELL THE STUFF. I WANT REAL OPIONIONS.
    THANKS FOR THE HELP

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    images

YOU DON'T NEED
    TO YELL :D

DuraCoat is a great finish. Very strong and brings a new twist to the cosmetic beaty of a firearm. Not as strong of a finish as say hot caustic bluing or some of the other spray on finishes, moly resin, seracoat, ext. But very good indeed. I would PM Indygunworks, he has his FFL if you need to send it off or just drop it buy if you live near Indy. And does a great job, easy to work with, great prices.

Here is my Glock 19

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    with proper prep work, IE, proper blasting at the right pressures, and proffesional degreasing duracoat is very very durable, however like any finish it will wear over time, and quicker if you are hard on your guns.... long story short, do it right the first time and take care of the finish, and it will take care of you.

see my photo thread in the advertising secion for some pictures... or do a search, there are several topics with pictures of duracoat.

Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    What about us home duracoaters w/o mediabalsters?
    Sanding can do just as good right?

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Be careful with dremels and sand paper. You can do a lot of damage to guns. For example, the tenifer finish on glocks is very durable, but sandpaper will smoke it. Then, it can rust.

I would only consider "refinishing" your guns if they are already really bad. I wouldn't mess with a good finish. Don't fix what is not broken kind of thing.

What about us home duracoaters w/o mediabalsters?
    Sanding can do just as good right?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    in my experience kg gunkote is good, but not up to par with duracoat norrels or cerekote....

you can sand to prep the metal, but blasting with the proper media is the only thing i have found that will lead to a long lasting durable finish regardless of what finish you are using. i think you will find that sanding leaves much to be desired and will effect the "sheen" of the final product and its very very hard to sand evenly while still opening up enough poors to give the surface a good "tooth" for the finish to adhere to.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Be careful with dremels and sand paper. You can do a lot of damage to guns. For example, the tenifer finish on glocks is very durable, but sandpaper will smoke it. Then, it can rust.

I would only consider "refinishing" your guns if they are already really bad. I wouldn't mess with a good finish. Don't fix what is not broken kind of thing.

not true... sandpaper will remove the black coating, but the tennefer is impregnated into the metal and will always be there even with very abbrasive blasting. any metal WILL rust if not properly cared for... its a myth that glocks wont rust i assure you they will, and there are many reasons to refinish a firearm aside from corrosion protection.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Have done about 40 guns with various Duracoat colors with no problems. Surface prep and degreasing using their Trustrip is the only method I have used. I have blasted some and sanded many and have had no issues with the finish coming off. Cleanliness is very important!

Try it yourself, if you don't like it you can always start over.

kfarmerk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I do Cerekote myself and have great results and prefer it over duracoat. Surface preparation is everything. Ask any painter. Blasting is much preferred as it produces an evenly prepared surface. The finish is very durable, but like anything else will wear with repeated use.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    There's a guy in Kokomo who uses KC coating looks like he does good work...I did kc on my pistol slide turned out good....you need a good air brush though.

Top Bottom