• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhdoug

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    hancock county
    been eyeballin the lauerweaponry site in particular the duracoat stuff. they have some very nice ( and some very different) finishes. there are kits for first timers but all the extra options starts to make it a bit ....well it makes me wonder if it is that easy to get it right? there is a dvd to get which prolly will help with all that. Wondering if anyone might chime in if they have gone this route. seems like it would be a great product if done right.:dunno:....Manufacturer of DuraCoat Firearms Finishes

Last edited:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Be warned that its addictive one you start. its easy once you know what your doing, a little tricky figuring it out the first time.

20231_292667191600_581381600_3911975_5570410_n.jpg

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    The first handgun that I did, I used the starter's airbrush method of applying. I did pretty good, IMHO. I guess the stuff has a short shelf life, so don't plan on buying in advance and keeping it too long. I've heard the hardener goes bad (after it's been opened) in about 6 months or so.
    I just ordered a kit and I'm gonna try the kit that is a bottle/jar that attaches to a spray can, instead of using the airbrush method. It should work nicely on big items.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    451_Detonics:

That looks very nice!

Just curious what you did to prep the metal (before degreaser) before applying the Duracoat? Did you roughen up the surface of the blued areas first, and if so, what did you use?
    Thanks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Don't bother with the DVD. It doesn't show much and is low quality. They gave me a free one when I got my certification. The #1 thing to remember if you are going to do it yourself is DEGREASE DEGREASE DEGREASE. It is very important to do a good degrease job or else your finish will not last.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Works great!

Have done close to 40 with absolutely no problems. I have used an abrasive cabinet on some really bad ones but usually prep with a fine emery and use their Trustrip to degrease. I always degrease twice!

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Just finished a shotgun barrel for a Remmy 870. I used matte black in the Preval Aerosol Sprayer.
    Initially, it sprayed pretty smoothly, but you could tell that in between coats that it would try to thicken in the oriface and would shoot larger droplets when you first started a new spray sweep. Best to do a few quick bursts to get it cleared.
    I didn't save the can/bottle cuz it was too much trouble to clean it all up when I finished the project, although you probably could if you wanted to. Acetone does the trick. (It was late and I didn't want to spend the time to clean it up, easier to pitch it and get a new one for the next project.)

Having used the airbrush and the Preval sprayer, they are both good. The airbrush gives a more uniform spray IMHO. But it requires cleanup so it can be reused.

I've got some old colors still, but the hardener has solidified, have to buy more if I'm gonna use them.

Top Bottom