• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1371MARINE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    The Region
    The action takes place and it's not hitting a piece of brass or a soft steel primer... what harm could striking nothing do?? It's perfectly fine, although some gun store owners frown on it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Insurance companies make money because more people buy insurance than need it.

Snap Caps even more so.

Man, I wish I was able to tell if I were going to need insurance before buying it. My guess is if chezuki runs his car into any of our cars, we're footing the bill.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of insurance provided by a snap-cap. They also are handy for malfunction drills. I know the common dividing line is rim-fire no, centerfire yes, but what about rimfire guns that have a safety that prevents the hammer from contacting the firing pin?

I have an old Glenfield Marlin 25 bought back in the late 70s that has been dry fired thousands of times with no damage. Yet, I now include it in the category of guns that need a snap cap. Better safe than sorry.

tpntch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    i was in a pawnshop looking at a taurus .45 the clerk got up set when i cocked it saying i couldnt dry fire. i was justing checking the action. no finger on trigger. it was actually the decock that he heard. i left immediately thinking, " am i just supposed to pick the prettiest one?" LOL

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    The action takes place and it's not hitting a piece of brass or a soft steel primer... what harm could striking nothing do?? It's perfectly fine, although some gun store owners frown on it.

on some guns it is not just hitting nothing..
    in the case of 22 rimfire guns the firing pin can hit the chamber edge and mushroom..
    some centerfire guns do not have a stop to keep the pin from slamming into the hole in the breech face.. and you can risk breaking off the tip..

Well made guns have a shoulder on the pin that takes the force when you dry fire it..

If you dry fire a lot, just keep a spare firing pin on hand..

Top Bottom