• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    How could you make a gun for competition (and such) and not know that some people would need to dry fire it a whole lot?

I like Springfield in general, but sheesh, this is not easy to excuse.

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    This doesn't make since. I've had two xd's and dry fired both of them. In fact, doesn't it have to be dry fired to take it apart??

i got an xd40 and i dont think theres another way to take the slide off without dry firing it? maybe im wrong? but i would like to to know if there is in fact another way. i love my xd.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Don't have one but had a friend who did and was not a huge fan. Seems like this is poor design? Dry firing as many have said is necessary for training classes etc, so why make a piece that is going to break sooner or later? I know some pieces are just bound to wear and break over time from wear and tear, but this seems like poor design to me.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It was my understanding that dry firing a striker fired handgun was not an issue. Or a very very tiny issue and a cheap part to replace if it does break after a few thousand dry fires. How many rounds do you have through the gun?

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    It was my understanding that dry firing a striker fired handgun was not an issue. Or a very very tiny issue and a cheap part to replace if it does break after a few thousand dry fires. How many rounds do you have through the gun?

I'm really not sure how many rounds, maybe 1500 or so? Folk can sit around and knock the design all they want, I just choose to learn from it and will keep a stock of them on hand and change the pin out from time to time--kinda like changing the oil on my car? Equipment wears out, it happens. I very much enjoy shooting my XD9SC and this is the first and only issue I have had with it.

I will continue to maintain it, carry it, and rely on it with no further worries. I'm just glad I learned while on the range rather than in a SHTF situation. I posted this thread so others might become aware and pay attention to the maintenance that could be necessary on their equipment as well.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Do snap caps solve the problem? :dunno:

Snap caps would solve the issue if he was just dry firing for practice.

However, he is firing after he has emptied a magazine. So if he had snap caps in there he would have to clear the snap cap which would cock the gun again. I believe that the OP is trying to avoid that.

But as many have said you have to dry fire to disassemble the weapon. I have never had any issues with mine. :dunno:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Folk can sit around and knock the design all they want, I just choose to learn from it and will keep a stock of them on hand and change the pin out from time to time--kinda like changing the oil on my car?

I'm just glad I learned while on the range rather than in a SHTF situation. I posted this thread so others might become aware and pay attention to the maintenance that could be necessary on their equipment as well.

No intent to be aggravating & I really do appreciate the heads up.
    Was just flabbergasted that the manufacturer wouldn't at least give a big warning somewhere and a suggested parts replacement interval if the guns really won't hold up to lots of dry firing.
    Sort of like in your car maintenance analogy, if you are supposed to do stuff to prevent your car from failing under typical use then you expect the manufacturer to tell you about it up front, particularly if your car requires some special maintenance that its competitors don't.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    Snap caps would solve the issue if he was just dry firing for practice.

However, he is firing after he has emptied a magazine. So if he had snap caps in there he would have to clear the snap cap which would cock the gun again. I believe that the OP is trying to avoid that.

But as many have said you have to dry fire to disassemble the weapon. I have never had any issues with mine. :dunno:

I understand what you are saying. What I was referring to is that I thought the OP was also implying that you should never dry fire an XDM this is where I thought that a snap cap would do the trick. :twocents:

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    I had 7,500 doc rounds through my XD9 between matches and practice. That is not counting the dry-firing practice. I did replace it in Feb and yes it was weak when I got it out.

I would recommend replacing around every 3K rds

Top Bottom