• ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I would definitely drive if time permits. :rockwoot:

I'm driving to Phoenix this summer. The way I have it figured, based on Google maps its a 10 hr stint to Tulsa and stay overnight. Then another 10 hrs to Albuquerque so another overnight. Are there any interesting places to visit in either place?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Driving... avoid the TSA thugs and the hassles of flying, take additional people along for little to no cost.

I always drive when possible.

Example: Conference for work out in Vegas in 2 weeks. Co-worker and I will be carpooling there and taking our SO's along as well. No additional cost to us (flying would cost an extra ticket to take them along), and because we're all riding together, we'll be making money to drive out there.:rockwoot: Get to see lots of scenery too.

Oh, before anybody asks, it's 28 hours of driving, and I've been close to Vegas before. Drove to Phoenix once in college.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Depends.... where and for how long. Inlaws live in Tucson, so if we're planning a week long vacation we will drive and take the dogs along with us. If it's to her aunt's house in Florida, we'll drive. If it's a long weekend to Tucson, we'll fly. Just depends really. The truck is super comfy, but 30 hours is a lot of driving. East coast we'll always drive.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i drove there (couple years ago) and back. me and 2 friends originally went to see where fliight 93 happened. then decided to go from there to dc. all in all we made it round trip in 28.5 hours the drive really isnt that bad once you get towards the other side of ohio. the scenery is worth it.

im not sure the hassles of flying is worth it.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Drive - F being molested by the TSA, F screenings and F them for making me feel like It's such a high honor to give them my money.

Drive DRIVE DRIVE!

Drive. I'll never fly again by choice as long as the current way of doing things is still in effect.
    x2. I've never flown in my life and never will now..
    I'll recommend rollerblading before flying.

Plus, like others have said- Drive. It's much more elemental/personal than flying. Take in the scenery on the way. Maybe make a couple quick stops for landmarks & attractions along the way.. You and your wife may find more appreciation in that over zipping straight there in an aluminum bullet. :yesway:

Last edited:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    DRIVE!

Or take the chance of gettin' stuck between these!

fat-women-plane.JPG

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Drive, save some money for a few decent hotels and after a days drive, go get a nice meal, have some hotel sex and get up and move on the next day...

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would drive to DC. Its not to long of a drive and you won't have to rent a car or ride in a taxi to get around town. I guess parking could be kind of expensive though.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    DRIVING to Oklahoma next month, 14 hrs each way. The only reason I didn't drive to Miami for our cruise vacation in February is because I was outvoted!
    were you the one that posted pics of Nassau? i must have like missed you by a day. floated right by you in the Atlantic in the middle of the night.
    I DID drive to miami, dont regret it at all. got to drive through the everglades, got pictures of all kinds of gators, drove through some mountains. ate at cracker barrel twice in one weak.

DC is half that far. i wouldnt even consider flying. mostly b/c of the BS you have to go through. but really, like mentioned, the more people there are the cheaper it is the drive (or rather more costly to fly)

and by the time you load up a car (with a limited amount of stuff btw), have someone drop you off at the air port or pay for parking $$, unload car at airport a recommended 2+ hours before departure time, then the actual flight time if its on schedule, getting off the plane and going to luggage claim if they didnt jack that up, then going the car rental desk (money not spent if you have your own car) loading up that car, then however long to the hotel.
    had you been driving, you would probably already be 3/4ths the way there. stopped where/when you wanted for something to eat. didnt sit next to a stranger (assuming you know your wife) and have the ability to take an 8 foot fishing pole or a trunk full of logically written books for the DC residents to read and nobody would have a problem with that.

i simply will not be flying if the trip is less say 24 hours on the road. driving is part of the vacation. and if it cant be driven. then i wont be going there. not until things with the airports change.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I'm going on a vacation soon, and while I'm going over 12 hours away, I'm choosing to drive. I drive a hybrid so gas is not a major concern, and I refuse to deal with the TSA unless it's an extreme circumstance.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    A place we'd love to go to is Washington DC. But it's about 12 hours from my house. Flying is a little expensive, but it's the quicker way. Driving, well, gas prices are high. Traffic jams. All that good stuff, but it could be a lot cheaper...

So, if you were going to take a vacation, and the location was 12 hours away. Would you drive or fly? And why?

It depends on a few factors for me:

-How much vacation does one get? Is it use or lose or can you bank it? What about the other people going?

-If you fly you also have to factor in a rental car. I don't mind renting cars, but I hate the idea of crashing a car I don't own and having to hit my own insurance to pay for it (uninsured motorist, deer jumps in street, etc.). When I last priced insurance through the rental company, it basically doubled the base rental cost.

-Do you have any long drives during the trip? A few years back I went out to the Rocky Mountain west. We had the following drives: Denver to Rapid City, Rapid City to Billings, Billings to Whitefish, Whitefish to W. Yellowstone, W. Yellowstone to Denver. This was a two week trip and we put 3,000 on a rented mini-van. Due to how much driving we were doing on the trip, we all opted to fly into Denver, which was great. We booked an early flight out of Indy and in four hours were in our minivan heading to Rapid City.

-Even if you don't drive a lot during the vacation, is there a lot to really see or do? One can usually find something to do, but what are the must do things and will you have enough time to see everything if you factor in two or three days of driving?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Drive!

Easy drive, lots to see and enjoy along the way. I give myself a couple extra days so I take the northern route via toll road/turnpike so I can spend a day at Gettysburg and even a day at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore if I have time.

:+1: I have done this several times. Easy drive to Gettysburg from Fort Wayne. Northern route across PA is freeway. Southern route is toll road. Tolls do add up, but it is closer to Gettysburg/DC. Drive. Far, far more enjoyable.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    and by the time you load up a car (with a limited amount of stuff btw), have someone drop you off at the air port or pay for parking $$, unload car at airport a recommended 2+ hours before departure time, then the actual flight time if its on schedule, getting off the plane and going to luggage claim if they didnt jack that up, then going the car rental desk (money not spent if you have your own car) loading up that car, then however long to the hotel.

had you been driving, you would probably already be 3/4ths the way there. stopped where/when you wanted for something to eat. didnt sit next to a stranger (assuming you know your wife) and have the ability to take an 8 foot fishing pole or a trunk full of logically written books for the DC residents to read and nobody would have a problem with that.

Very good advice!:yesway::twocents: Just remember, inside the Beltway, they do not read nor are they logical. Do not expect the impossible. Just visit Mt. Vernon and pray for one like Washington to be dumb enough to run for POTUS.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    When I was a child and to this day I still consider the drive one of the highlights of any trip I've been on. Anymore people are more concerned with how fast they can get from point A-B and don't consider what's in-between. With today's fast-paced lifestyle, vacation is a great chance to actually relax and enjoy this country and it's beauty and not just watch it fly by from 30,000'.

The animated movie "Cars" was a good example of how America has lost that love for driving vacations and the open road. Those who ever travelled old Rt. 66 know what people are missing.

Top Bottom