• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I've got an old Black and Decker 18V and the batteries are shot.

I can get new, higher amperage replacements for around $40 each . . . the B&D name brand batteries are I guess terrible, but these replacement ones get great reviews.

Would you do that, or swing for a new drill? Menards has an 18V Hitachi 1/2" cordless on sale this weekend for half price (49 instead of 99). Comes with two batteries, case, and charger.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I would go with a new drill too. As far as the brand goes, if you're only doing light duty work around the house, the Hitachi will probably suit you just fine. For heavy duty jobs, I am a huge Milwaukee fan. I've never owned a Hilti myself, but some of the guys I work with have good things to say about those too.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    I love my Dewalt tools, First you buy any tool with batteries and charger then you can buy just the the other tools. Drill, impact, reciprocating saw etc...

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    EYC199LR-pop-1.jpg

don' let '14.4' fool ya.......it'a twizt the guts out'a lot of'em out'ere.....

even older model's is a damn good tool....(nickel/metal hydride batts)
    99597_panasonic_156v_cordless_drill_driver.png

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Always just get the new drill over new batteries. Batteries are almost as expensive as a new drill + batteries.

1) Hitachi is ****. They use the most plastic parts out of any of the big names. Stay away from Porter Cable while you're at it. They used to be good, but they suck now.
    2) Ridgid guarantees their stuff for life. That includes the BATTERIES. HIGHLY recommended. But for some reason, I never find them on sale and normally end up with Bosch because they're on sale more frequently.
    3) If you need a cordless drill, go Li-Ion. Do not ever drain them completely, and keep them charged. They'll serve you well.
    4) If you don't NEED cordless, I'd really recommend just going with a corded drill. Much more robust.
    5) Black Friday is coming up in a couple weeks. If you can make it, wait until then. You will be able to score something from Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Ridgid, or Makita for super cheap.

Disregard everything above and buy **** tools if all you do is hang pictures in your house. This is coming from someone that does real construction and needs quality tools.

Just my .02. I roll through tools and am hard as **** on them. I'm done buying cheap tools these days. Had too many crap out on me in the middle of a job.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If you intend to drive screws with it, I can't recommend a drill/driver set highly enough. I posed this same question about a month ago, and ended up with this set from lowes.

Shop PORTER-CABLE 2-Tool 20-Volt Max Lithium Ion (Li-ion) Brushed Motor Cordless Combo Kit with Soft Case at Lowe's

That driver doesn't even blink at driving 2" screws into solid oak. Smart charger fully charges the batteries in less than 40 minutes and will not over charge and trash them like most the less lower cost options will.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    We have had great luck with the older bosch 18v stuff.. we currently run Milwaukee M18 drills, impacts, bandsaw, grinder, and the flashlight. We are rough on them. They hold up.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    This is my favorite drill:

Shop BLACK & DECKER Matrix 20-Volt Max 3/8-in Cordless Drill with Battery at Lowes.com

You can swap attachments on it. I have the jig saw and impact driver attachments, trim saws and reciprocating saws are also available - I seem them for around $25 each. I also have their string trimmer that uses the same batteries.

I must use this thing 3-4 times a week minimum. The impact is great for doing engine work on my jeep. I also have a Dewalt which is obviously heavier duty and higher quality, but my go-to is the smaller, lighter black and decker that does everything I throw at it.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Old-style B&D batteries are NiCd, the new aftermarket ones are NiMH, the Hitachi uses LiIon.

If ya ain' makle'n a live'n with it......prolly be fine.....
    DEFnatly stay with lith-ion, at least.....no 'memory' to'em.....

if price ain' a pro'lem......this'd be my choice if not git'n anythin' Panasonic....
    Dewalt-20V-Max-XR-Brushless-Drill-Driver-Family.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Some of the newer Bosch stuff doesn't seem like it holds up like the older stuff used to. But I think that's the same with all of the major brands. I don't remember having an issue with burning up motors on drills mixing 5 gallon buckets of concrete in the past, but I sure as hell lit one on fire a few weeks ago.

We have had great luck with the older bosch 18v stuff.. we currently run Milwaukee M18 drills, impacts, bandsaw, grinder, and the flashlight. We are rough on them. They hold up.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Some of the newer Bosch stuff doesn't seem like it holds up like the older stuff used to. But I think that's the same with all of the major brands. I don't remember having an issue with burning up motors on drills mixing 5 gallon buckets of concrete in the past, but I sure as hell lit one on fire a few weeks ago.

Ha, maybe it's the concrete they're making nowadays, my old-school Milwaukee corded (20 years old?) was smoking last week when I was mixing concrete.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You'll probably be fine with the Hitachi, then.

Honestly, though.....Wait for Black Friday. You'll be able to find something from one of the better companies for the same price or less. You've already got a DeWalt to get you through until then.

Old-style B&D batteries are NiCd, the new aftermarket ones are NiMH, the Hitachi uses LiIon.

Edit - here's the one Menards has for 49.

Amazon.com: Hitachi DS18DFLM 18-Volt 1/2-Inch Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill/Driver (Includes 2 Batteries + Bit Set): Home Improvement

I am not just a picture hanger, but I'm not into heavy-duty construction, either. Already have a nice corded DeWalt drill I use for bigger jobs.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If ya ain' makle'n a live'n with it......prolly be fine.....
    DEFnatly stay with lith-ion, at least.....no 'memory' to'em.....

Definitely not doing it for a living, but I've used this lithium ion porter cable set more in he last month of renovating a house than all the drills/driver I've used in the past 10 years combined. I've Ben very impressed so far.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I did mix it pretty thick.....:):

Oh well, got it on sale for $70. It's still running somehow. Thought it was going to be junked after it lit up. I can tell the motor definitely isn't happy now, though.

Ha, maybe it's the concrete they're making nowadays, my old-school Milwaukee corded (20 years old?) was smoking last week when I was mixing concrete.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I did mix it pretty thick.....:):

Oh well, got it on sale for $70. It's still running somehow. Thought it was going to be junked after it lit up. I can tell the motor definitely isn't happy now, though.

Clean off the commutator, new brushes (or maybe just springs)... wait, what am I saying? They're pricing them so aggressively a new one is cheaper than a battery. What a waste.

LiIon > NiMH > NiCd
    More volts = better

I have a couple of 18V Bosches that have served me well; I was torquing 3" screws through 2x4s a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom