Drat, even reloading equipment is getting stoopid high...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Reloading always lags a bit behind factory ammo. Factory ammo prices go up, people turn to reloading. Factory ammo prices go down, not worth it to reload as much.

From what I've seen the markets have begun to stabilize a bit. They are still somewhat high, but not as bad as they were. I was selling factory .223 ammo on gunbroker for $1+/rd and people were paying it. Last week I couldn't sell it for $.75/rd. This week, be lucky to get $.65/rd. That's ok, at that price I'll just keep it.

The irony is that component prices go up and down, right along with the factory ammo, so I do not believe it is "price" that motivates folks to load their own, so much as it is a complete inability to buy ammunition, at all. That freaks people out, and well it should!

The beauty of reloading, if one has the sense to stock up on a core set of components, is that you never have to suffer through that sinking feeling in your stomach when you can't find factory ammo anywhere, so you can't go shooting.

I got into reloading to make the most accurate possible hunting ammo for my 270 Winchester. I've stuck with it because I just love the process of reloading. What some folks look at as a chore, I enjoy as a relaxing hobby.

The lack of ammo to buy is what's driving the current boom in reloading equipment and components, but as soon as factory ammo is available, the guys who don't enjoy reloading and think of it as tedious busy work will be selling their equipment and buying off the shelf again. They'll be just as unprepared the next time an ammo shortage hits. :cool:

Top Bottom