• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    If you want the most for your money, mosey on down to Bradis! I picked up a Bushmaster Carbon AR with a case sling mag and Bushnell Red-dot for ~$700. That being said, I'm a big fan of the carbon AR now. It's so light you hardly realize it's in the case :D

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    2 things i can name off the top of my head is chrome lined bore and inferior barrel steel. dpms uses 4140 instead of the better 4150.

the colt uses a mil-spec buffer. DPMS does NOT do HPT or MPI on their bolts. the chances of getting an improperly staked key is much much higher with DPMS. DPMS also had an issue not too long ago with putting .223 barrels on guns that were marked as 5.56. out-of-spec lowers and incomplete LPKs happen way too much.

the usual complaint about colt seems to be the price and the occasional swirls/machining marks, which is cosmetic. yes, colts can fail. but other rifles appear to fail a lot more often.

i'm noy saying a DPMS won't work out great. all i'm saying is that is completely false that a DPMS and a Colt/DD/KAC, etc are equal. they are most definitely not. oh a Colt 6920 can be had for $1100 new if you know where to look.

I'm in a greement with you that Colt is a better buy. You pay for it up front, but in teh long run better. Is a 3 series BMW gonna serve better long term than a Malibu.. no question. But not everyone has that kind of money to spend nor do they need the "extras" that go with it. Is Colt a closer to real M4 than the DPMS.. no question. Is chrome lined better, no doubt, etc.. but like with teh cars, maintance goes a long way. Soem peopel maintain others dont.

Long and short.... You get what you pay for. I think everyone agrees with that.

That's why I drive a Yugo

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Colt are a great rifle but for the money you will get more form DPMS i would love to have a colt but if it mill-spc its all the same

dpms is not mil-spec
    and those rifles are not the same.

this does not mean that mil-spec necessarily equals better; that's another thread. nor does it mean that a DPMS cannot do what you want it to.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Colt all the way. Sure they cost more upfront, sure the parts cost more (stupid larger pins in the trigger group), but they will last forever, and once you get it working the way you like there is little you will ever need to do in the way of maintenance.

paramed60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Oolitic, IN
    I have had and shot both weapons. Do you have a specific caliber in mind? How deep are your pockets? Both are fine weapons, you can get a bad Colt just as well as you can get a bad DPMS. Those questions along with shouldering both will give you some idea which one you should buy. Have you considered Smith and Wesson? What about Rock River?

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a DPMS as my first AR15, then I got a M&P15T as my second one. Than I got a RRA 458 socom upper and being using it with the DPMS lower without any problem. So, it's all up to how much you want to spend on the gun and the add ons.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    after countless hours on AR15.com, if i could go back i probably would have held off and bought a Colt. My DPMS has never had any feeding problems. i do with it was chrome-lined, also the bolt-catch doesnt alway hold on Pmags followers, ive gotten over it though.

Knowing what i know now i would not buy a DPMS if i wanted a real SHTF carbine, shot peening, mpi testing, high pressure testing, the TDP, and the anecdotes that brands like Colt, BCM, LMT run the most reliably in high round counts, idk, im convinced a few hundred bucks for piece of mind is worth it the next time around

slars1327

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    SPEEDWAY AREA
    I have 1 DPMS , 4 Rock River carbines , 1 Bushmaster 20" , 1 colt SP , and 1 FN ,and I am going to have to but my vote to Bushmaster. I have had Zero , zip , nada ,0 trbl with the bushie. The RR's all had extremely tight lowers that had trouble taking their own parts when built. the 9mm RR is not reliable at all . The colt sp is an oldie and I enjoy it but its the old pin pattern type and the barrel is starting to show signs of wear. The DPMS is ok but not a Bushie. The FN , well FN had the contract for US Military for years on m-16's they lost it for m-16's once due to quality control issues a few years back...... Bushie never had a US military contract but has been a supplier , builder for several other countries as well as hundreds of agencies across the world. I had (thru no choice of my own ) to leave the Bushie for over a year, hanging in an old cabin in Alaska. When I finally got back up to the cabin I was absolutely shocked at how well the Bushie held up. Cound not, I repeat , could not tell it had been left in the open area of the cabin thru an Alaskan winter.

Top Bottom