• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimmy5892

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    shelbyville
    Hello all, Recently picked up my first ar. Dpms oracle, $550. I'm wanting to get a cheap drop in quad rail (under $50). I have found some in that price range but looking for suggestions. I am also looking for a decent scope ($100). Also looking for a place close that has good inventory of ar accessories. Thank you in advance.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    With that budget in mind I would consider going magpul instead of a cheap quadrail and putting rail sections where you want them. Not sure what type of optic you're looking for but if a regular scope is what you're wanting I would spend just a little more than 100 and look at vortex's crossfire II line. Pretty close to budget.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yes another vote for a Magpul handgaurd, then just add a rail section were you need it. If your wanting a magnified scope, cheapest Id go would be either a Nikon Buckmaster II or a Redfield, both of these have great glass that wont break the bank. Trust me its worth saving up and extra $75-100 bucks to get you a decent scope. Congrats on your first black rifle, may it be the first of many!

jimmy5892

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    shelbyville
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I believe I have caught the bug, I've decided I wanna go free float I think. I know I'll need a low pro gas block but that's all I know for sure. Haha. I've seen gas blocks really cheap are they all about the same? Recommendations on decent mid length rail and gas block? Wanting to try to stay on the cheaper side but decent quality.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The best cheap low pro gas block is a cut down A2 front sight.

I'm pretty impressed with the UTG rail too. UTG is one of those companies I don't want to like but makes a few really good products.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea just get like a YHM low pro gas block, their very nice Ive got I think 4 of them on various rifles now. They can be had for less than $20 at most places online. As far as rails the sky is the limit my friend, as mentioned above the UTG Pro rails are actually pretty nice, I have one on one of my rifles and it works great. There are a number of really good rails out that wont break the bank check out some of the ones offered from MASdeffense.com. I have one of their GT rails GTLKM 12" KEYMOD FREE FLOAT RAIL (RIFLE) | MAS Defense and their pretty nice, fit an finish is spot on and is very solid as well as being very reasonably priced. Plus its an awesome company to do business with. Also look into the SLG line of rails those are super nice for the money. If your wanting top step up a little check out Midwest Industries, perhaps not the best rails, but man their nice!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yea just get like a YHM low pro gas block, their very nice Ive got I think 4 of them on various rifles now. They can be had for less than $20 at most places online. As far as rails the sky is the limit my friend, as mentioned above the UTG Pro rails are actually pretty nice, I have one on one of my rifles and it works great. There are a number of really good rails out that wont break the bank check out some of the ones offered from MASdeffense.com. I have one of their GT rails GTLKM 12" KEYMOD FREE FLOAT RAIL (RIFLE) | MAS Defense and their pretty nice, fit an finish is spot on and is very solid as well as being very reasonably priced. Plus its an awesome company to do business with. Also look into the SLG line of rails those are super nice for the money. If your wanting top step up a little check out Midwest Industries, perhaps not the best rails, but man their nice!
    I was just checking out their website. I've never heard of them before so I have no idea what kind of product they put out but I'll have to say they have quite a few barreled uppers listed with reasonable pricing that look pretty tasty.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I was just checking out their website. I've never heard of them before so I have no idea what kind of product they put out but I'll have to say they have quite a few barreled uppers listed with reasonable pricing that look pretty tasty.

I've got a couple of their barrel on current rifles and have had a number of them in the past as well as other assorted parts from them like LPKs and upper receivers and handgaurds. Haven't any trouble out of any of it except for an 18" barrel that I got and the barrel didn't have the crown cut correctly throwing accuracy off a little. I called up and told them the problem and the owner took care of it personally and apologized and even sent out the replacement barrel before I sent back the defective one and I had the replacement in 2 days and he sent a return shipping label so I wouldn't have to pay the shipping. Then after 2 months he called me personally to see how the new barrel was performing. You just don't see customer service like that today. They have my business, that's for sure. Only way I don't buy from there is if they just don't have what I want or their out of it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've got a couple of their barrel on current rifles and have had a number of them in the past as well as other assorted parts from them like LPKs and upper receivers and handgaurds. Haven't any trouble out of any of it except for an 18" barrel that I got and the barrel didn't have the crown cut correctly throwing accuracy off a little. I called up and told them the problem and the owner took care of it personally and apologized and even sent out the replacement barrel before I sent back the defective one and I had the replacement in 2 days and he sent a return shipping label so I wouldn't have to pay the shipping. Then after 2 months he called me personally to see how the new barrel was performing. You just don't see customer service like that today. They have my business, that's for sure. Only way I don't buy from there is if they just don't have what I want or their out of it.
    Sounds pretty good. I was hoping to hear good things about them and not like another outfit like those jackwagons over at "RGuns" in Illinois turned out to be.

I only did a quick peruse through MASdeffense's website the other day. I might have to take a closer look. It's always nice to come across other options for parts and such. Thanks.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    The best cheap low pro gas block is a cut down A2 front sight.

I'm pretty impressed with the UTG rail too. UTG is one of those companies I don't want to like but makes a few really good products.
    I completely prefer my cut down sight block. super stable, straight, and the price is right! I had a buddy get a FF UTG handguard from Rural King or some place about a year ago and he needed a hand putting it on. I dont know what model it was, but it was a deal. machining was good, fit like it should, and looked sharp. My only qualm was the little "UTG" logo on it! :) I kid, I kid...
    Another place to check out is Joeboboutfitters.com . They have a good selection of stuff, and they seem to always be reasonably priced. Have fun with your new rifle!

jimmy5892

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    shelbyville
    I appreciate all the suggestions and info. I have yet to buy anything yet. There are so many options idk which way to go. Lol My main hold up is to go free float or drop in and red dot or regular scope.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Free float all the way and as far as Red dot or scope just depends on what kind of shooting you'll be doing with the rifle. I personally run a 2-7x Redfield on my Run-N-Gun carbine and it serves well from close range out to distance. I also have another using a 1-4x Primary Arms that I like a lot as well. The optic is more of a personal preference more than anything on what and how you feel most comfortable using the weapon.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    If you are looking for a rail of any kind, I'd go free float every time. Its rock solid, they look great, and it will stay put and not wobble. If you are just looking to swap furniture or change color, then just get whatever floats your boat, but I'd probably still go free float.
    As far as optics go, if you are in between a red dot and a magnified optic, Id think seriously about a 1-4. At 1x, you basically have a red dot (Well close anyway), and you can still crank it up a little bit if you choose, though it is a compromise. At 1x a red dot is gonna be better than an optic, I dont want to misconstrue a 1-4x as being a "buy one get two kinda thing".

Top Bottom