• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a1gunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    If my memory serves me correctly (and it might not), DPMS was bought by a private equity firm some years ago. As with any private equity enterprise, the focus is on the bottom line at the expense of quality and craftsmanship. It is a wise man's rule of thumb not to buy anything from a company held by private investors (not to be confused with a private company)...

Proud father of a United States Airman
    NRA Patron Life Member

Last edited:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If my memory serves me correctly (and it might not), DPMS was bought by a private equity firm some years ago. As with any private equity enterprise, the focus is on the bottom line at the expense of quality and craftsmanship. It is a wise man's rule of thumb not to buy anything from a company held by private investors (not to be confused with a private company)...

You're referring to Cerberus. They own/contol Remington Arms, DPMS, Marlin, Advanced Armament, Cobb Mfg, and Bushmaster. I guess we'd better not buy from any of them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have bought two DPMS rifles in the past, both pre election.

The DPMS 308B I had was an outstanding rifle. It made target shooting out to 700 yards easy as fast as I could pull the trigger. Only change I made was added a new timney trigger.

I bought a DPMS 6 position lower and put a DPMS Sweet 16 upper on it. I put in a rock river two stage match and it would easily outshoot the colt 6920 I have now any day of the week. My sweet 16 was dead on out ot 500 yards.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another DPMS, especially in 308. Remember Magpul has a "Pmag" coming out soon for the DPMS 308's so the rifles will be that much better. I'm also considering an R-25 308 because I had such good luck with my 308B.

762minigun

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indianapolis SS BG
    I have built rifles using DPMS LPK and a pistol using RRA LPK parts. there is definitely a huge difference. Needless to say in a few months, after the holidays. I will replace the DPMS LPK's I have in rifles.

a1gunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    You're referring to Cerberus. They own/contol Remington Arms, DPMS, Marlin, Advanced Armament, Cobb Mfg, and Bushmaster. I guess we'd better not buy from any of them.

I'm not recommending that you do or do not buy from them. That is a decision that we each must make. I can tell you from years of first-hand experience with private equity firms (including Cerberus) that they are concerned solely with earnings - often at the expense of quality and precision. That said, I would recommend approaching any such purchase with open eyes and clarity of thought. With private equity ownership, it is quite possible that the brand is not what it once was. Knowing as much as possible about a company is simply prudent due diligence - especially when one is considering spending a significant sum of money.

Proud father of a United States Airman
    NRA Patron Life Member

Last edited:

Streakyzero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I have a DPMS M4 clone and I am kind of shocked to here all the negative about this company! I did a lot of research on them before going ahead anad buying from them, and I never heard anything to the extent of what is being said here! Mine has never failed in a few thousand rounds and it is an absolute dream to shoot! I will however be cautious about the LPK I am going to get from them for my new build after hearing about the out-of-spec issues! Thanks for the heads up guys, but until I experience an issue with their products I have to say they are a great company!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    this thread wasnt meant to be a bash, but rather to find out if there are more post election errors, if i just happen to have a few bad apples come through the shop.... given that those two seem to be isolated, i will conclude that it was just a mere coincidence to have two in within a week.
    i would still buy dpms, if they offered what i wanted.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    In the rush to get rifles out after the election I was reading about plenty of problems from every manufacturer. I don't think any of it was issolated to DPMS, but there's a lot of people out there that bash DPMS guns. I've had nothing but outstanding luck with their rifles.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a DPMS Panther in 5.56 rounds, no problem so far, I use the DPMS lower with my RRA 458 Socom upper without any problem either. Just like anything in life, in a box of apple, you are going to find a few bad ones, or you just picked up the lemon on the car lot.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Iv got about 800 rounds through my DPMs sportical. That round count is a mixture of:
    * Wolf Steel case
    * Remington UMC
    * PMC Bronze
    * XM193 ball

feed from:
    * Magpul P-Mags
    * Lancer L5
    * CMMG Immortal
    * D&H USGI
    * Brownels
    * Double Star

4 types of ammo, hundreds of rounds each, fired from 6 different types of magazines, While lubed with bearing grease, and I have never had a single failure of any kind with my DPMS. So far the only wear on the gun are a few spots where the finish is starting to ware off of the bolt (around the lugs, ect.)

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I have had 3 lower parts kits form then that were missing pieces . From what i have seen the 223 caliber lowers are good to go but i cant speak for the 308 lowers

Top Bottom