• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Inlaws have 2 new hatchlings in a bush in their backyard. Really cool as they are at eye level. My kids and their cousins thought it was really cool they could get within a foot of the nest and see the babies.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Hunted at Kingsbury today. In the area where I was at, the action was slow. I spoke with several hunters on the way out, and the consensus was there there didnt seem to be too many birds. There were several times that I didnt hear any shooting for maybe up to 20 minutes. I hope this cool north wind doesnt move them on south so soon.
    Saw on WRTV 6 that tonight there is an expectation of I believe 3 million birds to be migrating over Indiana this evening. Don’t know how that will affect the hunting. But it’s a lot of birds.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I haven't hunted doves in years. I cut my teeth dove hunting in Texas and it was an absolute blast down there. I don't know if they still do but they used to close schools on the opening day. Burning through half a flat in several hours was some of the better hunting experiences I've had.

I tried dove hunting once on Attterbury after I got out of the Army. Was out there for three hours and saw one dove. We actually heard it coming several minutes before it got to us as the shotgun blasts announced it's current location as it got closer. We failed to drop it also and the shots continued off into the distance lol.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Well how is everyone season going so far? We have only been able to go on 2 sits. Opening morning which was slow and we only got 2. Then last night and we got one. We are still seeing a ton on power lines and flying higher then I recall. We see them flying over the corn but not over the hay field. They need shift 100-200 yards south.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    If it were allowed to shoot them off the power lines in front of the house, or under my mom's bird feeder, I'd limit out in no time. :D

Around here we have wait for the local dairy farmers to start cutting silage.

Problem is, about 2 minutes after they cut a field, they start spreading s**t. You almost have to be out while they are cutting.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Hunted yesterday very close to Hwy 41. Eight hunters in the dove field, maybe 6 doves harvested in total from what I saw. The CO came around and checked licenses and firearms, very nice guy, said there hasnt been a big push from up north to move the doves on. The dove field was a cut field no sunflowers.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Hunted yesterday very close to Hwy 41. Eight hunters in the dove field, maybe 6 doves harvested in total from what I saw. The CO came around and checked licenses and firearms, very nice guy, said there hasnt been a big push from up north to move the doves on. The dove field was a cut field no sunflowers.
    Which property? We got 2 last night….. had opportunities to get 10 lol but that’s how it goes

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Look behind you
    I'm not a hunter (yet), and have no idea if this season is still on or not, but watched this video that for whatever reason showed up in my YT feed today and thought 'man, that sure looks tasty!'

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Sammies on the wing !
    3H4A3641%20copy-L.jpg

• Haha
    Reactions: Mij

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Did not realize they tagged these. Got a few last weekend with the kiddo. Need to throw more clays…..View attachment 379831
    congrats on the band. I can’t remember if it was last year or the year before but hookeye posted a picture of one he got. I have been trying to get one ever since. What county did you kill that one in? I know that doesn’t really matter since they migrate but just curious. What I can’t remember for sure is I thought someone said when you call and report it they will tell you where and when it was banded. That would be cool Info to have.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    congrats on the band. I can’t remember if it was last year or the year before but hookeye posted a picture of one he got. I have been trying to get one ever since. What county did you kill that one in? I know that doesn’t really matter since they migrate but just curious. What I can’t remember for sure is I thought someone said when you call and report it they will tell you where and when it was banded. That would be cool Info to have.
    I got it at Jasper Pulaski FWA. It was tagged a week and a half before "Near Medaryville"-so I assume it was trapped and tagged on the property. Not a great data point for them, but still happy to get it.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I got it at Jasper Pulaski FWA. It was tagged a week and a half before "Near Medaryville"-so I assume it was trapped and tagged on the property. Not a great data point for them, but still happy to get it.
    Dang that is still very cool. My wife and I hunted for just over 3 hours today and killed 11. Should have been more but you know how that goes.

Bleachey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2019
    Petersburg
    I had a slow opening day at Glendale FWA. Saw 2 birds, no shots. Had a better day Labor Day on a sandbar at the White River near Petersburg our farmer lets us hunt. 3 of us put 12 down. A week ago they bushhogged (not harvested, solar panels going in) corn. We hunted it last Friday evening and put 46 birds down amongst 4 of us before we ran out of shells. The rest of the weekend was a little slower, but ended up with a total of 70 birds that I marinated in Italian Dressing, wrapped in bacon and grilled. A buddy said they are good in spaghetti sauce. Did some googling and I think if we get another batch I am going to try it along with the ever popular poppers. In the past I have only done poppers or grilled them after either a marinade or rub and wrapped in bacon. They are always popular.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hunted em since the 80s.
    Used to limit out on state ground opening weekend.

Last few years its been horrible.
    IMHO not worth going unless you can get at least 10 birds, shooting 50%.

To each his own.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    How is everyone’s season going? We see a ton of them when driving back and forth for the kids sports but this year has been slow. Last Friday was our best day. Today I’ve had 3 come in and got 2 of them. The decoy seems to get their attention but not pull them in like a few years ago. When I first got them I had birds land all around them. Now they get 10-20 feet from them and take off.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom