• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    Am I alone in noticing a definite lack of doves in my area? I’m not just talking about recently, all this year there has been a very noticeable decrease in the number of mourning doves seen in my area.

The season opens Sunday and unless I see an influx of birds on Saturday, I have a feeling the opening weekend around here is going to be very slow.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    That is how I felt last year. We only killed 10 maybe opening weekend. It was very slow and the numbers seemed way down. This year I have seen a ton. We had over 18 in the back yard this morning. They were all over the patio and play set. The power lines have been loaded this year. My sunflower field didn’t do worth a crap but we have 10 times the amount compared to last year. I am excited.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Look for the fresh cut wheat or hay fields and the water source. Get between the two. Good luck.

Dove recipe:
    Mix a box or two of (your brand of instant stuffing), put it in a cast iron skillet. Wrap dove breast in “Bacon” pin the bacon with a toothpick, push the breast into the stuffing with about a fifty cent piece size still showing above. Pop in the oven at 350 deg. for an hour. Put a few tatoes in the oven with the pan. Make some green beans, corn, or potato salad on the side. Pop open a beer or Coke, eat your fill. :wavey:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Only seen one, maybe two pair this year around here.

There have been dozens on the power lines off and on in years past.

A lot more hawks of all sorts around in recent years along with owls.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Look for the fresh cut wheat or hay fields and the water source. Get between the two. Good luck.

Dove recipe:
    Mix a box or two of (your brand of instant stuffing), put it in a cast iron skillet. Wrap dove breast in “Bacon” pin the bacon with a toothpick, push the breast into the stuffing with about a fifty cent piece size still showing above. Pop in the oven at 350 deg. for an hour. Put a few tatoes in the oven with the pan. Make some green beans, corn, or potato salad on the side. Pop open a beer or Coke, eat your fill. :wavey:
    Remove the breast bones, cut into 4 pieces, season. Place on soaked bamboo skewers with Vidalia onion pieces, grape tomatoes, red and green bell pepper chunks, possibly Portobello 'shrooms. Cook over hot charcoal until the meat is just done.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    It was in July when the wheat was harvested this year was when I first noticed a lack of doves compared to past years. Now there is corn being cut for silage in my area and we are seeing a small fraction of the birds we’ve come to expect.

These are my observations from Miami, Wabash, Fulton and Cass counties.

Last year the birds were scarce too, but not as bad as this.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Remove the breast bones, cut into 4 pieces, season. Place on soaked bamboo skewers with Vidalia onion pieces, grape tomatoes, red and green bell pepper chunks, possibly Portobello 'shrooms. Cook over hot charcoal until the meat is just done.
    MAN! That sounds great, I know what I’m doing with my first doves now.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Got a few of what I call honey holes or secret spots, to be honest it just places on RR spurs along side of grain elevators. Where grain leaks out onto the tracks. I try to set up between them and the water source.

Haven’t checked them out yet, just figured they’d be there. Guess I’ll see.

I looked today while I was out feeding, they are usually on my power line near the hay field. Only saw one.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    We’re getting ready. We eat them as jalapeño poppers.
    I recently read about poppers but that’s all it said. I don’t know what they are. Now I do of course know what a jalapeño popper is, half a pepper with cream cheese maybe a bit of sausage in them. But dove poppers, no clue. :dunno:

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I recently read about poppers but that’s all it said. I don’t know what they are. Now I do of course know what a jalapeño popper is, half a pepper with cream cheese maybe a bit of sausage in them. But dove poppers, no clue. :dunno:
    Yes cut a jalapeño in half remove the seeds add cream cheese and half a dove breast then wrap them in bacon. Smoke until bacon is cooked. They are amazing. I use banana peppers for my kids some time and they love them.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Yes cut a jalapeño in half remove the seeds add cream cheese and half a dove breast then wrap them in bacon. Smoke until bacon is cooked. They are amazing. I use banana peppers for my kids some time and they love them.
    MAN, I gotta go kill me some birds. Got a few friends coming over for Bears, Colts.

So? Bourbon or Beer with poppers?….. :lmfao:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Went to sign up at Mississinewa Res for the hunt today.
    Too many trucks.
    Am not that sociable.
    Didn't even put in for the drawing.
    Saw coworkers driving in as I was leaving LOL
    Hope they have a good hunt :)

I decided dealing with Sunday drivers on the way home was to be more enjoyable.

Not.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I hunted them when I was young at Pigeon River with my dad. Great fun. I'd love to take my daughter out sometime. All she has hunted are deer.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    We hunted for 2.5 hours before we had stop for other commitments. We saw a ton way too high. We had 8 come in and got 3. My wife started hunting with me last year so I’m trying to make sure she has lots of shots. Hopefully tonight and tomorrow will be productive. Mornings always seem better at our place

Last edited:

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Hunted at Kingsbury today. In the area where I was at, the action was slow. I spoke with several hunters on the way out, and the consensus was there there didnt seem to be too many birds. There were several times that I didnt hear any shooting for maybe up to 20 minutes. I hope this cool north wind doesnt move them on south so soon.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom