• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I'm looking to buy MY first AR-15. I found a DoubleStar for about $500 even. Which would be great, because I've never seen one for less than $800. I've read a few reviews on it, and it seem pretty solid. But my income doesn't allow me to walk into the $800 and up price range. I've got to consider price almost as much as quality.

Any opinions on the DoubleStar? Anybody own one?

Appreciate it! :popcorn:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That's a pretty good price, I would just make sure to check it out real good before I bought it though.

I have a DoubleStar lower parts kit in my lower receiver and I have'nt had any problems with it, seems to be a quality kit. Don't have any experience other than that.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've built a couple of their lowers and they went together fine. The grip was cut a touch wide but all the holes were all gtg. The finish on mine were shinier than a normal AR so double check to see if the upper's color matches the lower. If it doesn't then it's probably some kind of Frankengun (not always a bad thing). The finish seemed pretty durable but I never shot them. IIRC my PMags dropped free. I sold them both off to complete another project.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    It's an AR they are easily upgradeable. At that price I would not pass on it if I had the coin. Buy it, then buy a back up LPK when funds allow and you will most likely be set for some time.

Make sure you check the bolt parts real close, namely gas key, key bolts and staking. This is often where I've seen and heard of the most problems from the "lower teir" makes. Like I said they can be upgraded easily at you leisure.

ETA: You can also sell any parts you replace, if not messed up, to offset some of the upgrades.

wilianknow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hay I would buy it. Just make sure the lower is not plastic. And upper would cost 400 and up I really think you can't go wrong with this one. Good luck and welcome to the AR world.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    It's an AR they are easily upgradeable. At that price I would not pass on it if I had the coin. Buy it, then buy a back up LPK when funds allow and you will most likely be set for some time.

Make sure you check the bolt parts real close, namely gas key, key bolts and staking. This is often where I've seen and heard of the most problems from the "lower teir" makes. Like I said they can be upgraded easily at you leisure.

ETA: You can also sell any parts you replace, if not messed up, to offset some of the upgrades.

Okay. I've asked the seller about these things. And asked for some detailed pictures if he is able. It's a classified from a different state, so I cant check her out up close. But thanks for that. I would have never known to ask about those things. :)

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    Here is the reply I got from the seller. What do you think? :dunno:

"From: Edilberto
    To: "rammstein_ich_wille@yahoo.com" <rammstein_ich_wille@yahoo.com>
    Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 12:42 PM
    Subject: Re: ARMSLIST: Message to seller at 6/25/2012 1:07:13 AM

"the lower is not plastic the whole gun is in great shape"

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It might be good, it might not. I'd have to see it in person. An out of state used person-to-person purchase means he will have all of your $ before he ships it to your FFL then you are stuck paying the $25-$50 local FFL transfer fee whether you like the gun or not.

My buddy Steve in Oklahoma (ColdHandArms.com) was selling complete Del-Ton kits minus the lower for $499. I don't know if he has any left though. If you'd rather go new from a real gun store give him a call. Tell him I sent you.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I like mine and it shoots and works great with no problems.

P1010032.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I believe the OP was asking about this deal in particular but if we're gonna give out plugs then I would suggest checking the classifieds posted by a dealer right here in Indiana who is also a site advertiser.

Look for posts by "MarioMarietta" from M&S Armament.

He deals with alot of DoubleStar stuff and is a good guy to deal with and i'm sure he would appreciate your business.

/threadjack.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Back when Budsgunshop was having deals on doublestars for $650 shipped I thought pretty hard about buying one, but never got around to it. I do like to read all the reviews on budsgunshop to double check before making a purchase though and based on that I'd say double star AR's seem to run very well.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The only place I've ever seen a 100% factory assembled Doublestar has been in KY @ Knob creek. It was the Doublestar booth. All the other ones I've run across have been kits or mix & matched parts. Maybe a shop in IN has some factory built ones, I'm not sure. Just trying to let the OP know what he might be getting into if it was assembled by someone else (same goes for any brand for that matter). $500 for an all Doublestar factory assembled gun is worth it IMO. $500 for a Doublestar kit that "looks great" but has some idiosyncrasies that require spending more $ to fix maybe not.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I bought my new assembled Double Star a while back, and love it. I've put a couple thousand rounds down range, and the only problem I had turned out to be a mag issue (not a Double Star mag).

FYI- I got my DS from Whittaker's in KY (the best gun shop near Evansville - IMO - to bad it isn't in IN) about a year and half ago... the price was $669 ... suggested retail was well over $800 at the time. They did a multi-gun buy, and passed on the discount. If you're near Whittaker's, you may want to check and see if they are going to do another large buy, and/or what they can order it for. They move so many guns, I think they get better deals from the manufacturers than most dealers. ie. I was looking at a decked out Kimber Solo with laser grips for $925 that is $1,200+ everywhere else.

Top Bottom