• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Don't you think a thigh holster with a pistol might be a little dangerous with a bunch of kids around that probably have never seen a "real gun"?

I just may be overly sensitive, but I wouldn't do this. Just my two cents.

No.

I don't think it would be dangerous.

Having said that I probably wouldn't open carry at a yard sale, either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I guess I have problems forcing parents to have that conversation with their kids. If a kid sees a man at a garage sale OC, he/she will almost certainly ask mom/dad about it. I know this because I have a 4-year old.

Bigum, respectfully,

I have been surprised that I don't hear or see more reaction from children in regards to OC. I wonder if they see so much TV/movies/video games that they just aren't interested. I have watched because I wanted to see if the kids ask anything. So far, no responses from the kids. Of course, they may ask after I left, but children often don't think to wait to ask some things (mommy, why is that woman over there so fat?).

Further, I don't feel like it is a personal responsibility to prevent or force any discussions kids have with their parents. This is not my job nor my problem. I do not want to come across as harsh, but I cannot be held accountable for what kids learn about or what their parents hide from them. Your statement is based on the presumption that a given child would be unfamiliar with guns and that the discussion would be something the parents are trying to avoid. In most cases you are right, but that doesn't mean I am going to cater to that segment of society.

Lastly, I think this topic is a drop in the bucket of uncomfortable kid/parent conversations. I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, and you may still not want to OC in front of kids (which of course is your choice and I support it), but in this world there is so much tacky crap that people do in public, I would simply BEG for guns to be the most uncomfortable conversation they have to have. The way some people conduct themselves in public is simply amazing and completely classless. We each have our own definition of what is appropriate, but I think that in consideration of all the crap that young kids see, guns are near the good end of the list.

Of course, Bigun, not trying to juice you on the subject, just offering my :twocents:.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Bigum, respectfully,

I have been surprised that I don't hear or see more reaction from children in regards to OC. I wonder if they see so much TV/movies/video games that they just aren't interested. I have watched because I wanted to see if the kids ask anything. So far, no responses from the kids. Of course, they may ask after I left, but children often don't think to wait to ask some things (mommy, why is that woman over there so fat?).

Further, I don't feel like it is a personal responsibility to prevent or force any discussions kids have with their parents. This is not my job nor my problem. I do not want to come across as harsh, but I cannot be held accountable for what kids learn about or what their parents hide from them. Your statement is based on the presumption that a given child would be unfamiliar with guns and that the discussion would be something the parents are trying to avoid. In most cases you are right, but that doesn't mean I am going to cater to that segment of society.

Lastly, I think this topic is a drop in the bucket of uncomfortable kid/parent conversations. I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, and you may still not want to OC in front of kids (which of course is your choice and I support it), but in this world there is so much tacky crap that people do in public, I would simply BEG for guns to be the most uncomfortable conversation they have to have. The way some people conduct themselves in public is simply amazing and completely classless. We each have our own definition of what is appropriate, but I think that in consideration of all the crap that young kids see, guns are near the good end of the list.

Of course, Bigun, not trying to juice you on the subject, just offering my :twocents:.

You make a lot of great points.

And, I've had an entire night to think about it as well.

You are right that there are a lot of things that kids are going to have to learn about that might be somewhat difficult to explain.

I think you might be surprised about how many people/kids are ignorant about firearms. And, nope you don't have to cater to that segment of society. There's very few things you "have" to do in life. I personally try to make other parents comfortable with my appearance, actions and behaviors. Just because other folks exhibit crazy behavior, doesn't mean it should give me a green light not to be considerate of others.

But, like I said, you make a lot of good points.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    My wife and I love Bloomington because of all the fun college town aspects of it. I've always thought it must be an interesting place to live with the confluence of rural Monroe County and the liberal college campus!

I tell everyone I live just south of San Francisco, Indiana (aka Bloomington):rolleyesedit:

I wouldn't carry like that to a "Bloomington" garage sale, but I see nothing wrong with it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I tell everyone I live just south of San Francisco, Indiana (aka Bloomington):rolleyesedit:

I wouldn't carry like that to a "Bloomington" garage sale, but I see nothing wrong with it.

I keep telling the wife that we will head south a few miles as soon as the kids clear school (I want to be in the county as opposed to the city). As far as open carry, if you look like a Grandpa or a cop in my experience no one says anything. As for the rest of us, most people simply do not notice the young guy with the glock 27 butt sticking out of his pocket (not me).

As for daily open carry, I see someone now and again, but no regular.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I agree that Bloomington is a liberal hell, but I don't understand why that has implications for CC or OC. Just because someone doesnt like it doesnt mean anything, really. Believe me when I say I am annoyed by internet commandos, so I don't want to sound like one, but why does it matter that people in your area don't agree with what you are doing. Whats the difference between a garage sale in Bloomington versus Mitchell? I get the feeling from this thread that many consider Bloomington to be off limits for exercising gun rights, and I just don't understand why. Sure, people may accost you about it, but that hasn't been my experience. I've had dirty looks but I just figure thats how their faces look anyway. If you support the RBKA and expect that others are going to give you the nod, you are set up for disappointment.

I am sympathetic to the fact that its not always prudent to OC, and that one should wisely choose their battles. However, I feel like simply knowing that the locale disagrees is no reason to then closet yourself.

We are a group that has to claim and maintain the moral high ground because we know it is correct, and not concede an inch to those who simply gather a mass of idiots to disagree with us. I understand the CC mentality and clung to it strongly in the past, because it does keep people out of your business. I am down with Bigun and the others who think that a bit of consideration goes a long way, but I also think that we need to stand our ground and not shovel it out from underneath ourselves. I don't OC to cause a stink at the store or a rummage sale, but if it pisses someone of, cest la vi. Private property, I will gladly just move on my way, as I don't need to be surrounded by any more anti 2A hate than I already am. Besides that, who cares.

Honest though, nobody has thrown any organic tomatoes or tofu at me or even toilet papered my house with single ply eco-wipe for OCing. And I live in Bloomington!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Honest though, nobody has thrown any organic tomatoes or tofu at me or even toilet papered my house with single ply eco-wipe for OCing. And I live in Bloomington!

Well, perhaps I am simply coddling the older hippies that I do not want to give heart attacks to. Or cause scenes that my wife will be upset over. Or just keep from getting into fights except of my choosing. Or... or... or...

In reality, I CC tightly during the day at work. At night or around the neighborhood I OWB with a cover shirt and really do not care about flashing the firearm. A few times I have OC'ed in the front yard to make a very specific point to a bad set of renters who are now gone.

I do have a mentality of being behind enemy lines in Bloomington, or better put, being a mole. I find that it is easier that way to pick and convert people one at a time when the time is right. Take for instance this little story that happened last month:

I was at the house of some wealthy folks waiting to set off firework. Keep in mind, since it was the 4th, I was wearing my Appleseed T-Shirt and my 8 year old was wearing a "don't tread on me" cap.

The talk in the room turned to video games and the husband of the Hillary Clinton poll worker mentioned that he preferred games where he was lying in the grass with a sniper rifle over other games. So I started in:

"You want to go lay in the grass with a sniper rifle?"

"What?"

"Do you want to go and get in the grass with a sniper rifle?"

"Ummm... Yeah... Why?"

"Because I have both grass and a sniper rifle. You wanna come?"

"You serious?! That would be awesome!"

His wife rolls her eyes and gets up from the table...

Our first a trip to the range is this weekend! I hope to get him to an Applseed by next year. Muahhahahahah...

Twice now his wife has said that he only wanted to because of the scotch, but he says she is wrong. I cannot wait to get him rocking on the AK-47 in addition to the "sniper rifle.

In fact, I have decided to set aside one day a month to take a new shooter out with me and their choice of firearms from the closet. For me, that is the best way to convert others here in Bloomington.

But I am VERY sympathetic to OC, and perhaps in the not too far future, I will join you all there as well. For now, I will simply CC without worrying anymore if I accidentally OC.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Like I said, "I see nothing wrong with open carry"
    I just personally choose to be a bit more stealthy.

Besides, most Lib's that I know around Bloomington are totally WITLESS!
    And my daddy told me, "never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

I support anyone who wants to OC completely, I just enjoy people NOT knowing that I am.
    :cheers:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Ok, all these Bloomington people are gonna be the cause of a "INGunowners.com" Meet & Greet Picnic/BBQ before too long. Seriously. How many do we have here, 5? 10? Add in the Brown County folks?

Seriously.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    In fact, I have decided to set aside one day a month to take a new shooter out with me and their choice of firearms from the closet.

If I pretend to be a new shooter, can I come to your house and play? I'll be there Saturday! :rockwoot:Sounds like you have some neat toys!

[Just kidding!]

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If I pretend to be a new shooter, can I come to your house and play? I'll be there Saturday! :rockwoot:Sounds like you have some neat toys!

[Just kidding!]

You find a good place to shoot in Brown County and I am happy to bring toys! We can talk on NFA Day...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ok, all these Bloomington people are gonna be the cause of a "INGunowners.com" Meet & Greet Picnic/BBQ before too long. Seriously. How many do we have here, 5? 10? Add in the Brown County folks?

Seriously.

In this town all you have to do is offer free food and you will have people show up in droves. College students are like rabid dogs....

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    I grew up in Indy and have lived in Greene County for 28 years now. Bloomington is where I worked and where I shop. There are a lot of people who are completely ignorant about guns but even when mine has been glimpsed I have just gotten a funny look. Maybe it was the gun, maybe it was because it was an old lady with a gun....who knows? The east side of town is a lot different from the west side but I really don't care what either side thinks about what I chose to do.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Another Greene Countian checking in. Can't carry at work, but have around B'ton with no problems. As my wife remarked you feel like a giraffe in a herd of zebras at first but that feeling goes away quickly.

I'm up for a B'ton area meetup as well.

Hawkhavn

Top Bottom