• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roughthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Huntertown
    Don't ya hate it when you go to a gun auction and you find out there is a 10% buyers premium, then 7% sales tax, then to top it off you have to pay a $15 transfer fee?

The only thing worse is when you have to pay $15 per gun!!!!!!

1 phone call $15
    1 phone call $30
    1 phone call $45
    1 phone call $60
    1 phone call $75
    1 phone call $90

FFL's can put six guns on a background check and make 1 phone call and charge a guy 6x. That sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    A ripoff to be sure, but not so much that it's not worth it.
    Six guns that you didn't have before for an extra $15 apiece?
    Not too bad... now they're yours forever.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I always set a maximum bid on anything I like at auctions so that when the fees are added in, I still got a reasonable purchase. Those fees can really kill a good purchase if you are not careful.

Sometimes at an auction when the bidding gets crazy, it is hard to remember that you have to pay those added fees.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I took it in the shorts buying off proxibid awhile back. I think it was a 18% buyers commision and then $40 shipping. What a rip!

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have never been to a gun auction...I'll have to remember that. Adding a buyers fee is like the auctioneer getting paid twice, once from the seller and then from the buyer. I wouldn't attend an auction like that.

dreamer56

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Next door in Illinois
    I have been a couple times to auctions and adjusted my prices knowing about all the extra fees - which means I did not win the bid - it is like online auctions (ebay) - people pay more than what it is worth often times - gotta know the market.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    The Auction I used to go to , the auctioneer was an FFL so he charged nothing for the transfer . He also only charged the Bid plus Tax .

I will not go to an auction that charges a buyer premium .
    To me thats like paying a cover charge to go into a wally world :rolleyes:

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    I have been on a conquest to find out the purpose of a buyers premium.
    Excuses: Result of short bidding(one dollar rasies), competition is stiff with other auctioneer,s cutting commissions to get business,and simply the cost of business i.e. employees,building, and fuel.
    If you look in the parking lot of a certian nw indy auction, you will notice nice cars,land-yachts, and building with a multi place loading dock. In his adds they advertize "NO BUYERS PREMIUM" This auction was built on loyal customers why? GOOD REP. Sadly i belive this too will pass in the future.
    I have talked to many auctioneers, some will charge B.P. if Proxibid is in effect. Packing and shipping requires extra employee time, but isn't that what the proxibid commission is for.
    It just boils down to the fact: THEY CAN and know you will pay.
    A recent southside gun auction, Seller-20% buyer-10%.
    I ask you: GREED OR COST OF BUSINESS?
    The real solution to this delimma is to stay away.BUT like the 1500,
    you hold your nose and pay $10 to enjoy:
    Stinky people, overcrowding, rib poking,stroller hogging,outragious priced,
    AND BEST OF ALL......TRANNY'S ON PARADE.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    you can find deals at smaller gun auctions but its getting rarier and rarier. i saw a plain jain ruger 10-22 go for 450 at the same auction i bought a 100 year annerversery s&w 29-3 unfired in a presentation case for 575. you just never know what will happen

Flitmob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I have been there and had the sticker shock when I saw how much everything actually ended up being. It cost me over $100 bucks for the added on costs!

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    Reading this post has answered some of my online auction questions. I noticed an add in the Sunday paper for online auctions. They have all the fees mentioned here.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I've been bidding on some guns on a weekly online auction, but people are idiots. You can usually buy them cheaper online from gunbroker or sales advertised on Slickguns, especially when you add in the auction premium. People get bid up and overpay for stuff. It's amazing.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    As an auctioneer, I hate a buyer's premium and won't do a sale with one. The reason you see buyer's premiums is the seller "shares" the cost of the sale with the buyer. The vast majority of auctions don't have buyer's premiums and seller pays the auctioneer a commission to sell his goods. This is normally a negotiable amount, either a percentage of selling price or a set price that is agreed upon by the seller and auctioneer. Some auctioneers agree to stick the buyer with part of the cost of selling the articles (buyer’s premium), instead of the seller absorbing the entire expense. Some auction houses charge buyer’s premiums as some pay their auctioneers by the hour or a flat fee for selling their goods. IMHO, even though a sale is advertised as having a buyer’s premium, I see it as a “wink and a nod” way of doing business and don’t want any part of it.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I quit going to auctions in 1987. I figured out that guns generally go for more at auctions than Don's guns charges. I think it is a suckers game. And I can't even contemplate paying a BP. That sounds as crooked as the government in Amerika....John

Top Bottom