Not open for further replies.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Don't Say Gay

Not sure how long these commercials have been on the air, or how many of yal have seen them; but I saw the Wanda Sykes one last night for the first time. So now we are funding commercials to no poke fun at a group of peoples actions? Let me say that again... we have commercials to help not hurt someones feelings?!?
    So don't call something gay when you mean stupid or odd that is incorrect and just makes you look dumb. So here is my advice if something is odd or
    unusual
    call it by its appropriate term:

Queer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Queer has traditionally meant odd or unusual, Since its emergence in the English language in the 16th Century (related to the German quer, meaning "across, at right angle, diagonally or transverse"), queer has generally meant "strange," "unusual," or "out of alignment." It might refer to something suspicious or "not quite right,"

YouTube - Wanda Sykes Says Don't Say "That's So Gay"

YouTube - Hilary Duff - Think Before You Speak ("That's So Gay") Official (HQ)

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Heck, you think that is bad...look at ALL of the campaigns that are being spewed from the Ad Council, which gets plenty of funding from our tax dollars that try to tell you how to live in every aspect of your life...this funding needs to be completely shut off.

Ad Council : Campaigns

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Heck, you think that is bad...look at ALL of the campaigns that are being spewed from the Ad Council, which gets plenty of funding from our tax dollars that try to tell you how to live in every aspect of your life...this funding needs to be completely shut off.

Ad Council : Campaigns

Absolutely. This has bothered me for a long time. Thanks for the linc. Unreal - and not one ad about keeping your firearm clean ;).

I always imagined that failed film makers and bad actors with connections could get all of our money they wanted and still not be talented enough to produce something worthwhile.
    I just hope someday it's uncovered how much is being spent and how the high the ad council people are living in relationship to everything else.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's called etiquette. There are lots of things you should probably NOT say in mixed company, people you don't know. In private...probably no big deal. I was scolded growing up for saying such things. No "gay", "retarded", "homo", "queer", and NEVER the "n" word. Something I cannot say even to this day. I was also told to avoid: I was "Jewed" down. I was "Gyped". or "Indian" giver. Not that the words are bad in and of them selves, but rather the context they they are used. If you cannot think of a more appropriate(intelligent) word/phrase to describe someone/something then you probably need to spent more time studying a Thesaurus. All of these words/phrases seem archaic anymore.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Absolutely. This has bothered me for a long time. Thanks for the linc. Unreal - and not one ad about keeping your firearm clean ;).

I always imagined that failed film makers and bad actors with connections could get all of our money they wanted and still not be talented enough to produce something worthwhile.
    I just hope someday it's uncovered how much is being spent and how the high the ad council people are living in relationship to everything else.

Yep, the ones that really get me are the ones funded by the Army...boostup.org about staying in school and all of those stupid "saving energy" commercials where they pay some athletes to help promote saving electricity. Oh, and the ones that tell your kids to go out and play.:n00b: And the Disney ones about conserving energy...I wonder how much Disney got paid for their role in those commercials? And, and, and...the list goes on forever.:)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Yep, the ones that really get me are the ones funded by the Army...boostup.org about staying in school and all of those stupid "saving energy" commercials where they pay some athletes to help promote saving electricity. Oh, and the ones that tell your kids to go out and play.:n00b: And the Disney ones about conserving energy...I wonder how much Disney got paid for their role in those commercials? And, and, and...the list goes on forever.:)

I know its a stretch but my daughter watches the regular line up in the AM and PM on noggin and WFYI. I am constantly knit-picking the "liberal agenda" in some of those shows, might be all in my head but I see PETA all over Wonderpets and "Going Green" in some of the other crap. Must be my foil hat or my liberal hate, flip a coin.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

I wonder how much energy Disney CONSUMES each year.... probably enough to power Bloomington a couple times over.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    It's called etiquette. There are lots of things you should probably NOT say in mixed company, people you don't know. In private...probably no big deal. I was scolded growing up for saying such things. No "gay", "retarded", "homo", "queer", and NEVER the "n" word. Something I cannot say even to this day. I was also told to avoid: I was "Jewed" down. I was "Gyped". or "Indian" giver. Not that the words are bad in and of them selves, but rather the context they they are used. If you cannot think of a more appropriate(intelligent) word/phrase to describe someone/something then you probably need to spent more time studying a Thesaurus. All of these words/phrases seem archaic anymore.

I totally see nothing wrong with using the word GAY...the problem with offense is that since homosexuality and all of the other choice variances of it has become common place in our society, they have hijacked the word gay to mean their lifestyle choice, but it certainly didn't mean that back in the 60's or earlier...Just look at the Flintstones...like they were talking about having a huge homo orgy :n00b: "meet the Flinstones, we'll have a gay ol' time"
    If someone takes offense to Gay, they are shallow and misinformed...they should take more offense to queer...imo

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I know its a stretch but my daughter watches the regular line up in the AM and PM on noggin and WFYI. I am constantly knit-picking the "liberal agenda" in some of those shows, might be all in my head but I see PETA all over Wonderpets and "Going Green" in some of the other crap. Must be my foil hat or my liberal hate, flip a coin.

Went to Indy zoo Monday. There were more printed signs saying 'recycle' than I have seen anywhere, other than IU of course. They just contradict themselves over and over again...

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Don't Say Gay

Not sure how long these commercials have been on the air, or how many of yal have seen them; but I saw the Wanda Sykes one last night for the first time. So now we are funding commercials to no poke fun at a group of peoples actions? Let me say that again... we have commercials to help not hurt someones feelings?!?
    So don't call something gay when you mean stupid or odd that is incorrect and just makes you look dumb. So here is my advice if something is odd or
    unusual
    call it by its appropriate term:

Queer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Queer has traditionally meant odd or unusual, Since its emergence in the English language in the 16th Century (related to the German quer, meaning "across, at right angle, diagonally or transverse"), queer has generally meant "strange," "unusual," or "out of alignment." It might refer to something suspicious or "not quite right,"

YouTube - Wanda Sykes Says Don't Say "That's So Gay"

YouTube - Hilary Duff - Think Before You Speak ("That's So Gay") Official (HQ)

Well....thats gay

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I totally see nothing wrong with using the word GAY...the problem with offense is that since homosexuality and all of the other choice variances of it has become common place in our society, they have hijacked the word gay to mean their lifestyle choice, but it certainly didn't mean that back in the 60's or earlier...Just look at the Flintstones...like they were talking about having a huge homo orgy :n00b: "meet the Flinstones, we'll have a gay ol' time"
    If someone takes offense to Gay, they are shallow and misinformed...they should take more offense to queer...imo

I've heard Gays here in town, worked with them and their vile behavior, call themselves and others 'gay' in a derogatory manner. The same as blacks call each other '******' all the time. The guy you quoted in your post here is just perfect inevery way.... he has SO much to teach us about 'being gay'. :):

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I saw this Commercial before. THe second one. It's the gayest thing I've ever seen.... Oh wait. Crap. Uh, That's most retarded, crap. Well, there goes my vocabulary.... :laugh: JUST KIDDING.

Man I so feel you on this. My wife has to keep telling me to shut up. :): Just watch Back at the Barnyard and Penguins of Madigascar and all your worries will go away! :D

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    im horrible with racial/sexual slurs. but then again, i dont really care. i dont pretend to have an over abundance of couth. so it doesnt bother me when people think im insensitive. because i am.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    I'm sick of all this political correctness. So what if someone gets offended by a figure of speech? The 1st amendment guarantees free speech, but I have yet to find an amendment that guarantees the right to NOT be offended.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I'm sick of all this political correctness. So what if someone gets offended by a figure of speech? The 1st amendment guarantees free speech, but I have yet to find an amendment that guarantees the right to NOT be offended.

I think they have been working on that for sometime...fairness doctrine :rolleyes:
    And the bullying legislation.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I'll leave you all with a quote from Clerks: The Animated Series

"Randal Graves: What's a Humanitus?
    Dante Hicks: It's an award for TV shows that don't use words like "retarded".
    Randal Graves: That's retarded. And queer."

How does this commercial take the high road? Someone says something a third party is offended by. The third party interrupts another person's conversation and insults them and walks off self-righteously smelling their own farts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom