• ...and so much more!
  • BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    This thing was in my daughter's garage. Scared me limp. What is it. Errrr what kind of spider is it.

302yiap.png

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Had something like that at my dads house under the waterfall to the fish pond. Just happened to have a torch with me and fried it.

The nightmares will come back now... Thanks man! LOL

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wolf spiders tend to have slim bodies (usually with a stripe down the back), they have a leg-span of over 2 inches, and look like this:

identify-spiders-found-indiana-1.3-800x800.jpg

Based on your photo, the spider in question seems to have a larger abdomen, and darker markings than the average wolf spider...maybe it is one of these:

identify-spiders-found-indiana-1.4-800x800.jpg

This is called a fishing spider, they tend to live near water or in cool, damp places. They do not maintain any kind of web, and are mildly venomous (minor redness or necrosis may occur as a result of bite). The fishing spider grows to a leg-span of 3 inches or so.

Did you collect it (baby food jars work very well)?

-Paul

CrimsonRayne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    These things used to bother me more, but after a few encounters with giant House Centipedes, I feel differently. At least a spider is easily caught.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Caught this Momma (+egg sac) a few weeks ago in the garage. Took some pics and let her go in the field behind the house. I'm guessing a wolf spider?

IMG_0453.jpg

While I am all about nature, I wouldn't have wasted the time to catch and release this one. No offense intended.

Any of you people ever go Spider Sniffing?
    Go out at night, get low to the ground and slowly work your flashlight back and forth. You'll be able to spot the spiders by the small glowing eyes (I thought they were dew drops or glint from glass the first time I did it). If you don't like spiders, you will be horrified to find just how many of the creepy crawlies come out at night.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I find it amazing how these big bad girls stand up on there hind legs when you threaten them. They are not scared...

You know the spider is big when you can see pulsating veins in their legs...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    While I cognitively understand they are no threat to me, that mental exercise takes longer than the reflex action of my triceps firing and smashing the dude to smitherines.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I used to allow these 8 legged vampires to live in my house until I woke up one morning with a throbbing, burning & swollen left forearm (was July 2009). I can't think of anything else in the house that could have crawled into bed & bit me. I was swollen & red from elbow to wrist with a huge bump. Doc put me on some pain meds and antibiotics. It took >3 months to return to normal size & I could still see the two little fang marks 1 year later. It itched for a year then I decided to pull the little dry skin part with a pair of tweezers. It wasn't dry skin. I don't know for sure what the hell came out of my forearm but I still have it in a small ziplock back somewhere.

I understand they can eat other bugs but *I* should NOT be on the menu.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I used to allow these 8 legged vampires to live in my house until I woke up one morning with a throbbing, burning & swollen left forearm (was July 2009). I can't think of anything else in the house that could have crawled into bed & bit me. I was swollen & red from elbow to wrist with a huge bump. Doc put me on some pain meds and antibiotics. It took >3 months to return to normal size & I could still see the two little fang marks 1 year later. It itched for a year then I decided to pull the little dry skin part with a pair of tweezers. It wasn't dry skin. I don't know for sure what the hell came out of my forearm but I still have it in a small ziplock back somewhere.

I understand they can eat other bugs but *I* should NOT be on the menu.

That is sick man!
    It's a shame you had to doctor yourself. Seems all docs know now is drugs.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Any of you people ever go Spider Sniffing?
    Go out at night, get low to the ground and slowly work your flashlight back and forth.

Just don't Spider Sniff while armed as 12,876 INGOers will post that you are breaking the law because a "CO" told them that it was "highly illegal".:D

Top Bottom