• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Let me introduce you to my son. This is him helping his dad build a chicken coop.

L4e1S.jpg

Cute kid right? Helpin his old dad by handing him nails.

Fast forward 2 months, to last night.

Over his mother in laws house, playing in the living room.

Mother in law says to him "Jude, its time for a bath" he says "No, Play toys!"

She says "Its TIME for a bath!"

This is where it becomes a problem.

Apparently, he was "CCWing" a yellow plastic water pistol, IWB. For who knows how long. While he played with his trucks.

462363044_020415ac66_o.jpg

He pulled his shirt up with the weak hand, pulled the water pistol out of his pants, made mouth sounds of him racking the slide 3 times, and reinserting a mag, pointed it at her face and then said forcefully...

"No... Tubby."

:dunno:

I believe, as a parent, I have failed him in some way.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    They are like sponges I tell ya. And belive me, we have had a talk about drawing down on grandma.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I'm thinkin' the "Tubby" reference didn't come from the IDPA video. :cool: Kids at that age are learning so fast, and they don't know what is unacceptable because they don't have a reference point yet, unless we show them. Hope ya weren't too hard on the little guy, especially if it was his first offense.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm thinkin' the "Tubby" reference didn't come from the IDPA video. :cool: Kids at that age are learning so fast, and they don't know what is unacceptable because they don't have a reference point yet, unless we show them. Hope ya weren't too hard on the little guy, especially if it was his first offense.

Agreed. Doesn't matter which behavioral theory of sociology you buy into, 2 is about where they start to mimic observed behavior and need a point of reference as to what is and is not socially acceptable.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    yes Tubby refers to the bath :)

Now that I think about it, he has seen at least 2 Magpul training videos... I guess if he uses a marker to paint on a Chris Costa beard I will know I have to cool it with the videos.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Was it loaded?
    Trigger finger location?
    Safety off?
    Made me chuckle. But also, like my three year old grandson, today his uncle brought a pink lady 38 he had just bought for my daughter/his wife to carry. 3 year old all over it looking, pointing, we help him, but he really likes guns and does a good job for a 3 year old. Anyway, it proves and makes me make 110% sure all guns are secure in the house. I had gotten lax in that. Now our carry guns are located high up or in the gun safe. It is critical to not put them in the situation to kill someone, cause it will happen if opportunity presents itself. Not on purpose, but they just can't know. I loved the story for it in itself. Great learning tool and not to beat a dead horse, but you will be able to use this example millions of times throughout his lifetime and his children's lifetime!!!!

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Nice job, Dad. :D

Style points for the fine Luger like water pistol! Even more if he was pulling on the toggle to rack it!

I did laugh though. Kids at your son's age are great. My little girl is saying and doing stuff that make me laugh every day.

But I figure it's never to early to start creating that respect for fireams especially if your son is aware of them.

Top Bottom