• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    So, I have several 9mm's and I ran into some loose .380ACP rounds. Being curious as usual, I tried cycling a mag of .380 into one of my 9's.

The cycle fine, and feed properly. The even seem to have the same amount of wiggle room whilst sitting in the throat of the bore. IIRC, .380s are just shorter 9mm's..? I know this is probably the dumbest thing asked ever on this board BUT:

Can I shoot these few rounds of .380 from a pistol chambered in 9? What would be some of the repercussions?

*Flame Suit On*

:ingo:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When I was a LEO I was shooting next to a PUPD copper (Purdue University Police Department) who put a .380 in a 9mm.

The weapon locked up and the RO had to do the tiger mouth trick to pop the slide. The weapon was up and shooting after a quick inspection at the fiddle table.

9mm (Luger, Parabellum, inter alia) is 9X19mm cartridge.

.380acp is 9X18mm cartridge.

breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    Probably not recommend. I have how ever seen a member of this board run a 9mm through a beretta 96. We were lucky no harm came to anyone.

Silverado

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    When I was a LEO I was shooting next to a PUPD copper (Purdue University Police Department) who put a .380 in a 9mm.

The weapon locked up and the RO had to do the tiger mouth trick to pop the slide. The weapon was up and shooting after a quick inspection at the fiddle table.

9mm (Luger, Parabellum, inter alia) is 9X19mm cartridge.

.380acp is 9X18mm cartridge.

.380 ACP is 9x17. The 9x18 cartridge is the Russian round for the Makarov pistols and clones.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    So, I have several 9mm's and I ran into some loose .380ACP rounds. Being curious as usual, I tried cycling a mag of .380 into one of my 9's.

The cycle fine, and feed properly. The even seem to have the same amount of wiggle room whilst sitting in the throat of the bore. IIRC, .380s are just shorter 9mm's..? I know this is probably the dumbest thing asked ever on this board BUT:

Can I shoot these few rounds of .380 from a pistol chambered in 9? What would be some of the repercussions?

*Flame Suit On*

:ingo:

Great question! Says the guy who mistakenly ran a magazine of .40 through a .45! :n00b:

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    Let's just say........

I *may* have stuffed some .380's into a Glock magazine by accident and inserted said magazine into a 9mm Glock.

I immediately noticed the recoil was WAY light - so light I thought back to one of my hand loads with no powder (true squib).

The bullet struck the target and the slide moved back about 1/3 of it's normal travel and the case didn't eject properly. I did a tap-rack-bang and the same thing happened.

I locked the slide back looked at the case and said "hey, aren't my 9mm rounds in brass? What's this nickel coated case doing in here" - a quick inspection showed 2 rounds of .380 were loaded up in the middle of a magazine of 9mm.

I didn't die, gun didn't die, gun went bang (more like pop) and bullet came out the end of the barrel.

I also watched John Farnham shoot a 9mm out of a .40 glock once.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    A friend and fellow INGOer once shot several rounds of .32ACP through his .380 Walther PPK by mistake (he had an identical gun in .32 and got the ammo mixed up). Recoil was a little light and groups were kinda "messy," but the gun ran fine.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I wish I could find it, but along time ago, the United States Army published a guide that showed what alternative cartridges could be fired out of various caliber pistols and rifles in a down and out emergency.

I remember reading it before there was an internet. I have not been able to find it since.

Maybe one of you guys can find it and publish it.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have witnessed a couple occassions of people loading the wrong ammo. .380 through a 9mm. , .40 through a .45acp and once someone running .45GAP through a .45acp.

Like others have stated, they did function sort of... different sound, less recoil and often times resulted in a gun malfuntion of some kind, usually a failure to eject because the slide did not go back far enough. While the mix ups I witnessed did not result in any harm to the weapon or more importantly the shooter I would not recommend doing it intentionally. Just my :twocents:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I wish I could find it, but along time ago, the United States Army published a guide that showed what alternative cartridges could be fired out of various caliber pistols and rifles in a down and out emergency.

I remember reading it before there was an internet. I have not been able to find it since.

Maybe one of you guys can find it and publish it.

Now that would be some interesting and valued reading! Anybody know what this book is? :dunno:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Witnessed a fella load .38 special in a levergun chambered for .45Colt. At the line the timer went off, he levered and click, levered again and click. I stopped him and as he lowered the muzzle, two unfired .38's slid out of the barrel. I felt a bit sorry for him after the laughter died down.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Silverado, thanks for the typo correction! Did you guys know the 7 is right next to the 8 and when you have fat fingers . . . :xmad:

Me too what the heck is the "Tiger Mouth Trick?"

Geez, you guys never jammed a slide?

Grab the slide with the off hand, with your shooting hand make a "C clamp" with your hand and strike the back of the frame at a slight downward angle. This will (should) jar the slide from the frame.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Great question! Says the guy who mistakenly ran a magazine of .40 through a .45! :n00b:
    I really have NO idea what you are talking about.
    picture.php

:dunno: :xmad: :whistle:

Top Bottom