Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

This is one problem I am NOT overly worried about.

Here is why:

Economies direction (hear the flushing sound...);
    Unemployment is rising;
    Congress won't be able to borrow from Social Security in 2012;
    Iraq;
    Afghanistan;
    etc...

President Obama will have FAR FAR FAR too much to worry about than gun control measures. I don't doubt that the first couple years of his administration will be devoted primarily to economic issues.

That said, I DO NOT BELIEVE HE WILL BE FRIENDLY TO GUN OWNERSHIP! I just don't see him going out of his way to start political wars that he doesn't need to.

I COULD see some radical antigun Congressman starting a bill that will gain momentum in the House and that could be worthy of fighting. I just don't see it coming from the Executive branch.

Respectfully,

Doug

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    To All,

This is one problem I am NOT overly worried about.

Here is why:

Economies direction (hear the flushing sound...);
    Unemployment is rising;
    Congress won't be able to borrow from Social Security in 2012;
    Iraq;
    Afghanistan;
    etc...

President Obama will have FAR FAR FAR too much to worry about than gun control measures. I don't doubt that the first couple years of his administration will be devoted primarily to economic issues.

That said, I DO NOT BELIEVE HE WILL BE FRIENDLY TO GUN OWNERSHIP! I just don't see him going out of his way to start political wars that he doesn't need to.

I COULD see some radical antigun Congressman starting a bill that will gain momentum in the House and that could be worthy of fighting. I just don't see it coming from the Executive branch.

Respectfully,

Doug

What you are missing is the time honored (:n00b:) tradition of distraction. When everything is in the toilet, simply raise a hue and cry about guns and pass some legislation against them. There, attention diverted from all those other problems they can't fix.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Dave,

Normally I would agree. And don't get me wrong that I don't disagree with this thought 100%, but I do disagree about 90%.

You cannot distract people when they are REALLY being hurt by the downturn in the economy. I am fairly certain that you cannot distract every single retired auto worker that his pension may be radically altered. I am fairly certain that it will be hard to distract every retiree who is depending on the stability of their investments. Today, people are really watching the stock market and the banks.

You could be right. I just don't place as much probability on it as many folks do.

That said, what I DO worry about is some whack job flying off the deep end and shooting up some school or church or shopping mall. This has the high potential for national media coverage and that spark well could cause problems.

We'll just have to wait and see. (And prepare... :))

Doug

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Dave,

Normally I would agree. And don't get me wrong that I don't disagree with this thought 100%, but I do disagree about 90%.

You cannot distract people when they are REALLY being hurt by the downturn in the economy. I am fairly certain that you cannot distract every single retired auto worker that his pension may be radically altered. I am fairly certain that it will be hard to distract every retiree who is depending on the stability of their investments. Today, people are really watching the stock market and the banks.

You could be right. I just don't place as much probability on it as many folks do.

That said, what I DO worry about is some whack job flying off the deep end and shooting up some school or church or shopping mall. This has the high potential for national media coverage and that spark well could cause problems.

We'll just have to wait and see. (And prepare... :))

Doug

First, minor nit: I go by David, not Dave.

Second, I truly think you are overestimating the attention span of entirely too many of the people in this country. Combine some nice big push in a different direction with a lot of excuses for the failures and too many people will swallow it whole--hook, line, sinker, rod, reel, and fisherman. How do you think we got here in the first place?

Here's one thing to consider: a poor economy does tend to go together with higher crime. It's not a perfect correlation and it's certainly not the only factor, but it's one factor. More crime, more excuse for "gun control." (Yes, I know that gun control does essentially nothing to reduce crime, but that's the excuse generally given.)

On the bright side, we have Heller confirming an individual right (still need incorporation, but that's a seed from which much good can grow with a little care and attention). It will be hard for the new administration to overturn that since the first Justices likely to be replaced are already anti-gun (Stevens and Ginsburg). We also have lots and lots of first time gun buyers lately. It seems that many of the folk who voted the new administration into office are voting with their wallets on gun control. Thus it looks like both the Supreme Court (for the next few years at least) and the court of public opinion have weighed in on the pro gun side at the moment. The smarter ones among the antis in Congress aren't going to buck that too hard. As for the others? Well, bucking the court of public opinion too hard while in office is a good way to the unemployment line.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    David,

I will use David from now on. I'm used to most folks shortening their names. Sorry.

Like I said (and perhaps wasn't emphasized enough) I do NOT think the Obama administration will be friendly toward gun ownership!

I just do not see them initiating any gun control agenda's for the first several years.

I was very pleased with Heller. I hope it sets a strong precedent for years to come. I also hope the NRA and other gun rights groups are able to capitalize on this as quickly as possible to roll back many infringements that have built up over the years.

Even though I disagree with the degree of worry, I still believe "be prepared, be vigilant."

Doug

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I just do not see them initiating any gun control agenda's for the first several years.

Roosevelt had MUCH bigger economic woes and the NFA was passed less than one and a half years into his term. This was in an era in which the Democrat party was not rabidly anti-gun as it is today (one reason they only got the MG/SBR/SBS/AOW/DD registration passed). Obama is a committed anti-gunner. It might not be his first priority, but is not far behind and he might be able to multi-task. The 1994 ban snuck up on us. I still recall the NRA state rep. swearing up and down to me on the day it passed that the reports on the Internet were all lies and it would never get through.

Even though I disagree with the degree of worry, I still believe "be prepared, be vigilant."

Agreed.

Top Bottom