Dog poisoning, can you defend against it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBlock502

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It's probably not the smartest idea to come onto a public forum & brag how you would murder someone & then tamper with the evidence to try to get away with it.

:noway:

If you do what you propose then you had better be willing to spend a WHOLE LOTTA time in prison. And rightly so.

Geee thanks for the great advice to not exploit my master plan to get away with murder on the interweb!

I love my dogs but would never take a human life in their place… well wait… I guess it depends on the human.

Relax… it’s called sarcasm
    :yesway:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Geee thanks for the great advice to not exploit my master plan to get away with murder on the interweb!

I love my dogs but would never take a human life in their place… well wait… I guess it depends on the human.

Relax… it’s called sarcasm
    :yesway:

:ugh:

That's the bad thing about the interwebs. It's hard to tell when someone is just kidding. Especially when someone only has a few posts & you don't know how they really are.

Also, I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised about how some people think. Some people have come on here saying the same thing and were completely serious.

Anyway...my bad.

:cheers:

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    those who would take a human life for defending a dog A: have your priorities out of order and B: if you love your dog that much, you probably dont have that annoying of a dog.

the poeple that have super annoying dogs are usually the ones that dont take care of the dogs, pay attention to or abuse them anyways.

this post in no way defends poisening a dog. im saying defending a dog with lethal force is no way to go. a call to police is more appropriate. the same as a car being stolen out of your driveway with no immediate threat to you or family.
    I would have to disagree with you on this. To a lot of people dogs are a member of the family. It may not seem logical but it would be no different than defending a child. I am sure I will catch a lot of guff for this but wanted to throw in my perspective.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I would have to disagree with you on this. To a lot of people dogs are a member of the family. It may not seem logical but it would be no different than defending a child. I am sure I will catch a lot of guff for this but wanted to throw in my perspective.

Every dog I've ever owned has definitely been a member of my/our family...This post + the one you quoted brings up an interesting question to me.

Say you have a fenced-in front yard and you leave your child outside for just a moment to grab the phone that is ringing. You grab the phone and hurry back outside just in time to see a stranger handing your kid something through/over the fence...Is that grounds to open fire?

Regardless of the answer, that should at least end the "property or family" argument and focus on the actual OP question.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    Curtilage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the definition of curtilage, particular in indiana law is the answer to the question. i dont think indiana has made a super clear legal definition of curtilage either in IC or through case law. does the area inside a fence count only if it attachs to the house? does it count if its chain link?

is the guy tossing food over the fence or physically reaching through and entering what may or may not be curtilage?

is it poison or a doggy treat b/c he loves the dog too?

Last edited:

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    no matter how much you love your pets, on a legal level, indiana does not recognize them as human and cannot defend them as such. im sorry, it is different. its not a matter of opinion. but humans have a very different place in the IC than pets/animals/cattle.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

THe IC spcifically states that you are ONLY justified in using deadly force to protect yourself or another PERSON from serious bodily injury. No matter how many of you want to think a dog is not a PERSON.

You MIGHT be able to play the "curtilage" card but I think that you're going to have a tough sell to a jury that you killed somone for feeding your dog.

The case will be decided on the facts as you KNEW them at the time of the incident. There is no way you could have KNOWN that the stuff that was being fed to your dog was poison (unless you could prove you are psychic) so the reasonable person test fails at that moment.

Now, if someone came up to your fence & pulled out a gun & tried to SHOOT your dog then I think that would be WAY easier to defend in court since there is now an obvious attack on your curtilage & you could reasonably think that they might not just stop at killing your dog. However if they shot your dog & started to run away you're still back to not being allowed to shoot since the attack has ended.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Dogs deserve better

The problem isn't the dog, it is the owner. Might want to rethink who receives the poison.

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners. If you have neighbor dogs that bark all the time you may want to look to see if their basic needs are being met. Do they have food, water and adequate shelter? If not try talking to the owner or reporting the owners to animal control.

It irritates me the number of people who get dogs and then chain them outside like an old bike or just dump them in their backyard. Dogs are social creatures, they want to interact with their humans. A forgotten and neglected dog can be a noisy dog. Don't take the owner's ignorance out on the poor dog, his life is bad enough already.

Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom