• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I have very little experience with it. I have seen it work with some dogs. But we had a black lab at our old house and decided to try it. It did what it was supposed to do, when she got close enough to shock you could see her twitching from it. But she would run right across the fence, do what she wanted to do and run right back across, yelping while it shocked her. We used it for 1 day. That was how it worked for us.

Jason

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My younger brother has a nice little side-gig installing them. Kubota 4 wheel drive tractor with a custom made "wire plow" he built... he can put a dog fence in a large yard in a matter of hours and leave no evidence except a small "slice" in the grass where the wire when down through, and the marks in the grass from where the tires ran...

As far as how the fence actually works, I don't know but they seem to be pretty popular right now as he's putting in a fence or two every week and it's all by word-of-mouth reference...

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I wouldn't trust them. Once they figure out the shock is only at a point and they want on the other side....

Not really worth it.

I thought about doing this a couple years ago but read that it is almost a joke. Plus I am not sure what to think about the kids/teens that cut across the yard if the dog is out...

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    We LOVE OURS
    put mine in about 9 years ago,, female lab was easy to train and stays in the yard
    although she will get out if the battery on her collar goes dead,, Male lab was another story ( he is a big boy, 120lbs) . had to buy the collar for hard to train dogs, damn thing takes a 9volt battery .. I put it on the highest settng and needless to say it literaly put him back on his ass*** and now he stays in the yard :)

anyway.. they work great but you do have to trian the dog with the flags. after several years you can get breaks in the wire that suck to trace down but it is possible

blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I guess I should have also said that, I don't think we bought a very good quality one either. I can't remember though as it's been several years ago that we tried it.

Jason

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    We have had 3 homes and installed the "Invisible Fence" brand each time. And we always use the training they offer as part of the package. While I know going with the brand name is more expensive, it has worked 100% of the time for us - even with a dog that is supposedly impervious to Invisible Fencing (by nature/breed).

Because of our high success rate, we've also had friends ask us for help with their fence - only to find out it was a lower grade fence, inadequate training, and a troubled install.

The only negative is that it doesn't keep other dogs out, but that hasn't been a huge issue for us - but something to be aware of in your considerations.

Go with the known brand name and there are no issues at all. It really works well.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Have had mixed luck...have a field fence up now. Manchester terrier kept digging out
    so I installed wire at top of fence and put the collar on little dog. Worked like a charm
    till we got the ridgeback. Got a second collar and he stayed put for 2-3 weeks.
    Seems he figured out if he lays so close it will sound a warning and all he has to do is wait
    till the sound dies down and the battery is dead...painless.
    Lately he's taken to pulling the signal wire off the fence so the terrier can escape too.
    Does a radio fence work? How smart is your dog?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Without going into a long story. the neighbor and I had a falling out of sorts over one of his dogs entering our yard. This dog weight 3x as much as my son at the time.

After a bunch of arguing, calls to animal control, and general bad blood... finally I noticed a big change in the dog not coming into our yard anymore. I went to the neighbor to let him know that I appreciated whatever he was doing, as it was making our life much easier. His response was "I put an electric fence in. I didn't think it would work, but it has".
    Take it for what it's worth. It made a difference for us.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I wouldn't trust them. Once they figure out the shock is only at a point and they want on the other side....

Not really worth it.

I thought about doing this a couple years ago but read that it is almost a joke. Plus I am not sure what to think about the kids/teens that cut across the yard if the dog is out...

We were going to try it with a chow/lab mix we had that seemed to love getting out and heading to the field to kill groundhogs. We wanted to test it before trying it on the dog. Even at the highest setting, the shock isn't that bad. If the dog is kind of high drive, I don't see it working. Ended up just using a long cable with a solid anchor point. We had to use the cable as the dog would jump a 3-4 foot fence without trouble (and we had another dog that would climb the chain link fence). I will say there is nothing like watching a Jack Russell tearing up a groundhog. The chow/lab wasn't nearly as exciting because she'd use strategy. The Jack Russell just went full retard.

And yes, I was the test subject.

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    wireless fence

Thank you all for your input. My kids told me about the wireless fence.....a box that puts out some kind of signal that I could "set" to a certain distance around my house. The dog would have a special collar. The box stays in the house. He had said that it might not work with an old house because of the horse hair plaster.....the plaster has something in it that disrupts those signals. Any way, thank you for your responses. I have a golden retriever about 70 pounds and pretty much a dufus. I hadn't thot about other dogs still being able to come into the yard. Guess I ll just keep doing some more research..Thank you again

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    We had one for years and it worked great for our Labs. Tried the same set-up with some Huskies and had lots of trouble getting the collar's to fit right do to their thick hair.

From my experience buy a good one and train your dog with it and it will serve you well. The brand that we liked was Innotek.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I have the Petsafe Stubborn Dog in-ground system. My golden retriever has about 2 acres to run on. I never have a problem with him getting out. Training the dog is the most important. Once they learn where the wire is, and where the warning zone is located, they will stay clear of it. My dog knows exactly where the wire is buried and will walk up to it, but not cross it. I highly recommend the system.

indybuell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Bargersville
    We LOVE OURS
    put mine in about 9 years ago,, female lab was easy to train and stays in the yard
    although she will get out if the battery on her collar goes dead,, Male lab was another story ( he is a big boy, 120lbs) . had to buy the collar for hard to train dogs, damn thing takes a 9volt battery .. I put it on the highest settng and needless to say it literaly put him back on his ass*** and now he stays in the yard :)

anyway.. they work great but you do have to trian the dog with the flags. after several years you can get breaks in the wire that suck to trace down but it is possible

^^^ This. It's all about properly sized collars, and getting them to respect the shock. If you go easy on them, and don't crank the shock up high enough, they will just bolt over it.

crudolph00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    FREETOWN
    I have a SportDog brand underground fence. It took me forever to bury the thing....that being said, I did fence in 7 acres. All in all, I'm happy with it. I have a Great Dane and a Boxer. Both dogs respect the boundaries after a few training sessions. The SportDog brand has a variable shock level collar. It also runs on a regular 9v battery vs. the rechargeable kind that a lot of collars have. A buddy of mine has the same fence and it's worked well for him too.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have a SportDog brand underground fence. It took me forever to bury the thing....that being said, I did fence in 7 acres. All in all, I'm happy with it. I have a Great Dane and a Boxer. Both dogs respect the boundaries after a few training sessions. The SportDog brand has a variable shock level collar. It also runs on a regular 9v battery vs. the rechargeable kind that a lot of collars have. A buddy of mine has the same fence and it's worked well for him too.

We have the same one. Bought it at Tractor Supply a few years ago. We installed it ourselves (1 acre) by using a gas powered edger to dig the ditch, a paint stirrer to shove the line in the ditch, and just stepped on the ground to "seal" it shut. We bought an extra collar as the kit only comes with one. IIRC, it was about $300 total. The collars have adjustable shock levels, and the monitor itself can adjust the warning distance. The collars start to beep and vibrate at the warning distance, then if they keep going toward the line, they get shocked.

We have two rather large (70 & 80 lbs.) mutts. One is a pitbull mix, the other a lab/pointer mix. They have gotten out once each. The first time, the lab mix sprinted out (this was before the training was complete) and he got a pretty good shock. We "upped' the warning distance and put the collar on the highest setting. He has tested it since, but once the collar starts beeping, he tucks his tail and comes sprinting back toward the house. The pit mix got out once because my neighbors' small (10 lbs.) was running right by the property line, and she didn't like it (she is very protective). We had recently lowered the "warning" distance, since they were getting a warning trying to walk around the house. Anyway, she took the shock, kind of tensed up, but still got out. We have since upped the "warning" distance to the max and both collars are on max shock.

They have not gotten out since. The pit actually will charge the line when there are rabbits, etc. and tucks tail and comes back when the warning buzz starts.

Another good feature of the unit is, it will actually set off an alarm when the wire gets cut. This comes in handy when my neighbor aerates his lawn and gets into mine :rolleyes:. It's really easy to fix, when you can find the break.

fangz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    North Side
    I used an in-ground system I installed myself for several years, the dogs never got lost. If they crossed the fence they knew they had done something wrong and just froze when out of shock range.

Total cost was about $35 (family hand-me-down, had to buy wire and a collar). Best thing I have spent on my dogs, lets them run free. I would still be using it if I didn't move to house with a fenced in yard.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I saw a YouTube video where a guy pranks his wife/gfriend when he hands her the collar as they approach his friends fence. The shock/surprise took her off her feet...

I cannot imagine what kind of dividends he thought that was going to earn him...

Top Bottom