• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    If I HAVE to go outside, I make sure my Border Collie is with me. Any good dog handler knows, with a descent dog, they'll pick up on stuff a whole lot faster than a sleepy dude walking around in his jammies with a revolver and flashlight.:) I try not to go outside unless it's impossible not to. Curiosity gets the best of you when you have sheds, barns, and vehicles with "stuff" in them.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Well, the time to remember that your original objective was to drain the swamp, is NOT when yer up to your a$$ in alligators.......

Having a plan is not rocket science..... not is it beyond the scope of anyone who owns firearms.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I don't have any kids, just me and the girlfreind. We live in a pretty small house so there is not much problem with randomly crossing eachothers path.
    9 out of 10 times that I run "the check" it is at her request, she will wake me or alert me to a possible noise etc.
    We both carry and our guns both go on the nightstands at night. She will usually stay in bed with her p226 and the phone, I will go to investigate.
    A couple of months ago she was putting a bag of trash in the can outside the back door, she came running through the kitchen and while chambering her gun (she dose not keep one in the hole, I do.) she told me that when she opened the door she heard the snow crunching loudly and it sounded like some one running.
    As I grabbed the beretta she stayed right on my tail, which actually comforted me quite a bit. When I reached the door I heard a very loud crunching that sounded like a person running between me and the neighbors house taward the back 40.
    I ran out demanding the person stop and identify themself NOW!, It was my neighbor, a Dr. who works long hours and had decided to do some cross country skiing about 11:00 PM and was doing laps around his yard (around 2 acres) and the trail that he was using ran between the houses makeing it sound like some one was hauling tail through the yards.
    FYI- I have a barn full of dirtbikes, ATV's and a fortune in tools is the reason I would run out of my backdoor with a gun rather than just watch out the windows.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I make her go first! But I do make sure she knows I'm right there to back her up if needed. :)

Oh I hear ya on that one LOL. I thought about getting my wife one of those head lamps that you wear on your head while working. I would put that on her and walk behind her using her shoulder as a pistol perch to steady my aim. :D Then while we walk I whisper in her ear, "if you see anything, just scream and point, I will shoot in that direction".

Last edited:

Angie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Owen county
    Lol..yeah he sleeps while I check everything out. Maybe because I hear every little noise and he cant hear anything over his snoring.:dunno:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My home defense routine was developed over the years and has been much the same for some time now. When I had a wife and daughter at home and that bump in the night ( or the sound of a breaking window) happens the first thing that happens is a bright light goes on in every room of the house except my bedroom. I use X10 remote switches for this, costs under 100 buck to do a whole house. I then get all the family into a single room (the only unlit room in the house) and with a shotgun and a 2 mil spotlight cover the door. I wait for 5 minutes and if no further noise is heard I pass the shotgun to my wife and clear the house with a handgun. A shotgun is a terrible tool for house clearing when alone. Of course if any noise is heard during the 5 minute time period I would call the police. Odds are if someone breaks into your house and is suddenly confronted with the entire house lighting up very brightly they are going to run.

I have only had to use this routine one time...was Halloween and the breaking window was nothing more than a vandal with a rock thrown through a window.

A few things to do to be prepared.

1. Practice your routine enough so your family knows what to do.
    2. No one but people who live in your house should have keys, 3 am is a bad time for a drunk buddy or family member to show up unannounced.
    3. Keep your cell phone in the bedroom with you, home invaders have been known to cut phone lines.
    4. Have a spare house key attached to a glow stick to toss out the bedroom window to police.
    5. If your kids are old enough to be out late, or a spouse works a late shift, etc., have them call you before coming into the house. I would rather be woken up that way than thinking someone is breaking in.

Your only job during a home invasion is to protect your family...everything else can be replaced.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    He shouldn't have shot but the point is, every family should have a plan; for everyone's sake it's best to have your wife to grab the phone and get the kids huddled up somewhere you know they will be.

If you ever had to fire ( god forbid ) at least you'd know where NOT to fire.

This is our plan and we have put it to the test.

I would have never gone outside to check around like you do, but I light on all sides of my house. I am not going to get pulled out of my locked and secure house to look around when I can see pretty much everywhere from inside.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    My wife stay's in the Bed rm with the M1 & a .45 ACP. One thing that we do have is a Pass word. This way if someone get's by me..She knows that if the person coming in our rm doesn't yell out the code word then it's not me!

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    My wife stay's in the Bed rm with the M1 & a .45 ACP. One thing that we do have is a Pass word. This way if someone get's by me..She knows that if the person coming in our rm doesn't yell out the code word then it's not me!

She should probably also have a couple of grenades:D

Top Bottom