• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Over the years I have had a couple times when I have had to check the house with my gun. I can pretty much bet that my wife is going to kind of loosely follow me around while I check. This always irritates me because I don't want to keep running across her when I am checking the house LOL:):

About 6 weeks ago I we were in our bedroom at 2:30 A.M. She was asleep and I was watching the Hurt Locker on demand. Two people came to my front door and pounded on the door. It didn't at all sound like pounding, it sounding like someone was coming through the door!

I have had times when you hear a certain noise and you think "what was that", "should I get my gun". But not this time. There was absolutely no doubt something was coming through the front door. We have a glass front door, so when you pound on that thing it makes a racket.

So I was up and without question I grabbed my gun. I went into the hall and went down the hall to the front door. I checked around the corner to see if there was anything wrong with the door or if there was anyone there. There wasn't so I got into the kitchen and turned out the small lamp in there to black out the house. I wanted to get a look outside to see what I was dealing with. As I am coming back through the house there is my wife :ar15: (kidding). I said "please check the kids and then stay back there where I don't have to think about where you are".

So now I find a flashlight and go outside. No one around but it has snowed a very thin layer outside. I was able to perfectly see both sets of foot prints. One was a construction boot and adult sized. The other set was a smaller tennis shoe like a girl. I was able to follow the prints down my walk and driveway. I continued a half mile down the road to see where they came from. Then I came back and followed the prints in my truck straight to where they lived. The prints went right up their driveway and did not return.

At this point I chalked it up to mischief and let it go. I don't know these people. We live in a rural area and they live about a mile away. So I looked up their address on the internet and found out who lives there. But I decided to let it go. I checked around my house and they never went anywhere else in the yard they never went to the windows, garage, cars or any other doors. Had they done any of that then I would have called the police.

Long story but I just hate when my wife loosely follows me and kind of startles me around a corner here and there.:D

Last edited:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    There is a story about about a man who went to investigate a noise early in the AM, he saw a silhouette in the kitchen and shot and killed his wife.

He shouldn't have shot but the point is, every family should have a plan; for everyone's sake it's best to have your wife to grab the phone and get the kids huddled up somewhere you know they will be.

If you ever had to fire ( god forbid ) at least you'd know where NOT to fire.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    There is a story about about a man who went to investigate a noise early in the AM, he saw a silhouette in the kitchen and shot and killed his wife.

He shouldn't have shot but the point is, every family should have a plan; for everyone's sake it's best to have your wife to grab the phone and get the kids huddled up somewhere you know they will be.

If you ever had to fire ( god forbid ) at least you'd know where NOT to fire.

This is the plan that we use. To get to the kids, an intruder would have to pass our bedroom door. I check the kids first, then go downstairs to check the rest of the house. Wife is armed and has her phone in hand, but she stays upstairs.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    You have no clue it was mischief. Tracks can't determine if they were arm in arm or the guy was being forced back into that house by a nymphomaniac. Should have bothered 911 at that hour it could be anything.

Again having a plan is best whenever things go bump in the night.

Defend your homestead but call for backup if possible. Barney and Andy really won't mind.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've only had to check my house one time and I'm not sure if my wife ever got out of bed. It would be a good idea if I created a plan with my wife, outlining what to do in situations like this.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I would have been up at that house banging on their door wondering why the hell they banged on mine! After I called 911 of course. What kind of fools would do that when you can trace their tracks back to where they came from. Interesting story

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    wife stands in the front of the house if we are coming home, tends to the kids upstairs as i sweep the downstairs if we are awoken at night. Both have happend only once, and neither were much fun for her or i.:xmad:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    My wife has been given precise instructions as to how to handle this situation. She always has her cell, her Walther PPS, and her Streamlite within reach. We were able to test this over the winter when the cold caused one of the alarm contacts to malfunction. We did not have the alarm set, but our alarm has a door chime feature that is actuated when the doors are opened. We both heard the chime and took immediate action. I subsequently cleared the house, and diagnosed the issue with the contact. It was a nice dry run.

By the way, I had a pretty good idea that is was a malfunction. I was awake enough to hear the chime, and there were no other noises beforehand. All of the doors have high quality deadbolts, so you are not getting in without making some noise.

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    My wife and I have had alot of discussion's regarding this topic. We both agreed that she is to stay upstairs with the kids in our (Master) bedroom with her phone in hand. This will make it easier for me to search the house. Never had to use this plan as of yet but at least we are prepared. Proactive and not reactive.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Agreed, all good points. A plan is a good thing.

You could indeed tell that they were walking together and not at all forced. The foot prints were perfect and always in the same direction and not always within a foot of each other.

If someone comes pounding, after I check the inside then I am going outside to check the vehicles. I went out through the big garage door and closed it behind me so the house remained locked.

I am not going up to someone else's door to pound on theirs at 3:00 AM for the same reason they were stupid to do it to mine. People do things sometimes that is stupid but I don't need to shoot them over. I am sure that we all agree on that. So I just decided after weighing it all that I would chalk it up to mischief which it was. Like I said, had they gone anywhere else around the house I would have called police.

I figured that I would wait unitl I see them outside and go talk to them. At least at that point they will know that I know it was them.

Gohard43: This is another reason why I figured it was just an opportunity prank. They had to see their own footprints.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Sounds like a couple of rocket scientists down the road. Do just stop by when you see them out, roll down the window, and smile and ask them what they needed at that ungodly hour. It'll rattle them a little to know that you know it was them, if they were up to no good. And if so, it'll probably prevent a repeat.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Just a thought...send the wife to check the house while you hunker down in the bedroom:D In all honesty if I heard a noise I would tell my GF to stay put or go into my boys room since its right next to mine while I search the rest of the house. Also, them having cell phones is a great idea.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Sadly, my wife has fallen back asleep while I have been up checking the house. We have had discussions about at least getting her pistol out in case she hears me shoot or something else. My house is really small (1000 sq ft) so it is easy to clear the house.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    My wife is someone that would be grabbing the shotgun, a 9mm and would have both Bullmastiffs with her as she is clearing the house.
    She makes me proud!

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Sounds like a nightly thing at my house, as we recently moved in and have very close neighbors. I grab the Walther and clear the house myself as she sits and waits for my return.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My GF is former LE, so we check the house together when we find something amiss. OTOH, when the cat is growling his battle cry that lets me know a critter is getting into his space, she lets me go deal with it alone :D. Bad guy, no problem. Cute fuzzy critter, it's all me...

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I always check our house when we get home from church late at night. Our neighborhood is swarming with misfits that roam around vandalising and breaking in.She takes it seriously now and she stays in the car with the kids with the window down. If she hears shots or I dont come out in 5 miutes then she knows to call police and not enter the house. I understand how you feel though.

beez1954

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Sailor has given you some excellent advice here.

Roaming around in the dark will be a good way to get ambushed.

Also a good way to get charges filed against you if you pull the trigger in a non-life threatening situation as the guy that shot the thief who was breaking into his car found out.

You don't want to be the guy who shot an inebriated person who thought they were somewhere that they weren't.

Just my thoughts.

Greg

Top Bottom