Does your carry gun(s) vary with the season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Does your carry gun vary with the season?

• Total voters

Lowrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Valpo
    Interesting question. My thought process is based on: where going, what doing, and what wearing. For example, auto/bike swap meet carrying wad of cash in sketchy or unfamiliar area by myself I'd carry biggest and most round gun my clothing could conceal. If out on bike on poker run with buddies just need something easily concealable, few big rounds to be able to support the cause, if something bad happened.

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    It's more attire and what I'm doing that dictates what and how I carry. For deep concealment I'll go with my P938 or even the P238. When I'm not as worried I go with my 1911.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I pick my carry weapon based on 1. where i am going / doing & 2 what i am wearing,, it works out that during certain seasons i am carrying one gun more often than other seasons..
    during winter time when wearing a heavy coat & gloves i often carry a larger frame gun that fits gloved hands better..

apilcher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I generally always carry a Mid-Size 9mm (G19) - but I do find myself settling for a LCP when concealment is a priority. But that decision isn't made based off of weather - or clothing. It is entirely based on printing - ultimately if I care if I print or not.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Winter carry, I tend to keep more than one gun on my person, as it is a lot to get through to get to my normal carry if I am wearing warmer clothes. Along with the normal EDC, I will typically drop a hamerless J frame in my coat pocket.
    As the weather warms up, I tend to favor my stainless pistols, as the blued finish of my high-power and sweat do not get along well at all.

drrun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Columbus, Indiana
    Winter/Summer

In the winter I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II since it's easier to conceal in layers. When I have shorts on in the summer I carry a Ruger 380 LCP. Both are great guns, built for different purposes. Key is to not forget about practicing with the 380 before trying to carry it. I love shooting the 1911 so that's never an issue. However, the 380 isn't extremely fun to shoot so I have to consciously make myself practice with it. No practice = No good.

drrun

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Yes, In the winter I'll carry guns that have a larger trigger guard. I cannot shoot a 1911 while wearing gloves, and having to pull gloves off before you draw is about as bad as carrying without a round chambered. I also tend to carry the more powerful calibers in the winter. That's because they are easier to carry when you conceal with winter clothing and they might have less trouble penetrating someone's clothing when they are wearing several layers of jackets and stuff.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I voted yes but only because I am more likely to carry 2 guns in the winter with a Kahr cm9 in a coat pocket to back up my G23. Just because it is quicker to draw that than my main gun from under my coat. But technically I carry a G23 year round so really...no

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I voted yes but only because I am more likely to carry 2 guns in the winter with a Kahr cm9 in a coat pocket to back up my G23. Just because it is quicker to draw that than my main gun from under my coat. But technically I carry a G23 year round so really...no

Yeah, this.

The gun that is my BUG in summertime spends the winter in an outside coat pocket, and that means I'll most likely grab the BG380 rather than dig under my coat for the M&P if stuff goes down in a hurry.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    For me, I think it's not so much a matter of season as it is what I'm wearing. Which, of course, does change with the seasons.

However, even during the warmer season, I may wear a light-weight shirt one day, and a suit another day (or later the same day).

Other times, I just get that 'little bird on my shoulder' that 'tells' me I should wear a different gun, or additional weaponry.

As a very general rule, though, I tend to wear the 'most gun' I can. Since I have multiple holster types for each gun (usually strong side, shoulder, and SOB holsters for each weapon), I can readily adapt to the clothing I may wear for a given situation.

Top Bottom