• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I would recommend this. Ultraviolet (UV-C) light rays safely sterilize clear water by destroying 99.99% of viruses, bacteria and protozoa, including Giardia and Cryptosporidium
    1415606.jpg

This. And several other methods should be used to treat water if it has been still and stored for long periods of time. It's highly unlikely, but should stored water have, or become contaminated with botulinum spores, boiling will not destroy them. Botulinum can and has lived after exposures up to ≈125C (≈255F). Chemical purifiers and UV exposure are the sure ways to go.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I would recommend this. Ultraviolet (UV-C) light rays safely sterilize clear water by destroying 99.99% of viruses, bacteria and protozoa, including Giardia and Cryptosporidium
    1415606.jpg

Yes, but always have a backup to these. They have a habit of not working at when you need the.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yes, but always have a backup to these. They have a habit of not working at when you need the.

This is true of any method of making water safe to drink.

When I'm hiking, and in my go-bags and vehicles, I have my usual Katadyn Hiker Pro which is my primary method, but I also carry a small bottle of iodine tabs, AND a square of clear plastic, so I have three methods of making water safe to drink. Note I don't use "purify" because I don't really care if it is pure or not as long as it is safe chemically and biologically. I can also boil water if need be but that's fuel and time intensive and while not 100% assured, is good enough for what I do most of the time.

Top Bottom