• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Pure water does not, just the stuff that contaminates it.

this. Water itself does not go bad/spoil - it is inert. It becomes contaminated. Most the stuff that would contaminate water is algea, chemicals, bacteria and other single celled organisms (amoeba, protozoa) - and radiation i suppose. Algea will not contaminate water sealed in dark containers or stored in the dark even if you start out with a little algae present prior to storage it will not multiply in the dark. Chemicals would only contaminate/leech from the container unless it was compromised. Bacteria and other organisms are the big issue but most bacteria you'd pick up after storage would not be harmful. As far as mold goes if it is growing in water then the water is already contaminated with some nutrient for it to use as a food source. Likewise, bacteria need a nutrient source to multiply.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    It is easy to make water safe to drink. Why waste extra time and expense making all water safe to drink, especially if you use some for washing and such?

Start out with something relatively clean and store it safely. Then when the time comes decide if you want to treat it to drink it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Purified does not mean what you think it means. It means it has been filtered and fit for consumption before XYZ date. Distilled water is truly purified water.

Actually it isn't, though that's a common misperception. Distilled water can still have volatiles in it, which may seem like pedantry but if those volatiles are toxic like after some type of toxic spill contaminating ground or rainwater then they can be ingested. And the distilled water you buy at the store is held to less of a standard than water that is intended for consumption because people buy distilled water to avoid scale deposits.

OP, don't overthink it: Municipal water supplies can be stored as is for several months in a cool dark location with no additional treatment. Don't go through contortions trying to make it pure forever, just treat bulk stored water before use and you don't have to worry about it. It's a good idea to have a small amount of water on hand that can be used immediately for drinking, 1-2 gallons per person per day for a week or so, and that small amount should be rotated out every 6-12 months. Bulk water can be stored as long as you want with no treatment as long as you are treating it before consumption. Water used in a non-consumption way like washing clothes or the like doesn't have to be treated.

If you are on a well then a small amount of bleach added to water that will be stored for the short term will give you several months worth of treatment. 4-6 drops of household bleach per gallon of water.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I would recommend this. Ultraviolet (UV-C) light rays safely sterilize clear water by destroying 99.99% of viruses, bacteria and protozoa, including Giardia and Cryptosporidium
    1415606.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    It is easy to make water safe to drink. Why waste extra time and expense making all water safe to drink, especially if you use some for washing and such?

Start out with something relatively clean and store it safely. Then when the time comes decide if you want to treat it to drink it.

You should not wash up with contaminated water....if you have an open sore it can get into your blood system...and your skin does absorbed things that are put on it.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    You should not wash up with contaminated water....if you have an open sore it can get into your blood system...and your skin does absorbed things that are put on it.

I am not talking about water contaminated with something from outside. I am talking about well or jug water that has been kept stored.

If I knew that the water was contaminated in the first place I would either not store it or fix it before I did store it.

Unless you are just talking about the nasties that can be found in well water. But then again I have been using well water to wash with the majority of my life.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I am not talking about water contaminated with something from outside. I am talking about well or jug water that has been kept stored.

If I knew that the water was contaminated in the first place I would either not store it or fix it before I did store it.

Unless you are just talking about the nasties that can be found in well water. But then again I have been using well water to wash with the majority of my life.

OO I thought you were talking about any water you would find in a SHTF scenario, sorry.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I have Ice Mountain water in the 3L jugs. How long should this water be "good" for. They are unopened and stored in the dark, in the house.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I would say virtually forever. As long as the jugs stay intact and nothing is added to the surroundings to seep in. (chems, rads, etc)

Worse case is you add a couple drops of bleach, IMO.

I have bought water in the cheap jugs and have not been happy. Had a couple leak after a short time. Fortunately these were just for clean coffee on a job site. Did make me check the clean jugs I have in storage tho, just to be sure.

Top Bottom