Does this mean you can now take a gun to the range without a permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery; exceptions
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) the person is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;

My brother and I have been discussing whether or not he can bring his guns home from Texas for the upcoming holiday for a family range trip. He came across this section in the Indiana code that I didn't know about before.

He has a Texas drivers license so he is not an Indiana resident any longer, and he won't get his Texas CHI until February.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm assuming the statue applies to Indiana residents only.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yes, the law was changed July 1, 2011. He can now legally transport his firearm provided it is unloaded and cased as indicated.

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;

I would make sure that this part is not overlooked. I could see how someone in a hurry could make the mistake of not ensuring the handgun is not "readily accessible" and end up in a bad position.

Top Bottom