Does manure help or hurt in fooling deer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Another newb question... went to a friend's private land Wednesday with my son to put in some more tree stand time hoping to harvest a buck. The corn field was fresh spread w/manure & by the time we walked the 400 yds to our stands, and back at the end of the day, we stunk to high heaven. Left our boots & cloths in the Suburban & the inside still stinks to high heaven.

Is the manure smell beneficial in covering human scent (will still shower & spray down with Dead Down Wind in the morning b4 going out), or would it be better to launder our gear?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    what ever the sent, if there is a bunch of it in the field already it can't hurt you to smell the same..

I have heard some people have luck with desiel fuel, since the deer are around equipment all the time....

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Deer can sort out the human smell so the manure in the field won't really bother them or help cover your sent. Hunt it as you would if it was not there.

Just my opinion.

mattkellyind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Marion In (Central)
    Being that we are in Indiana were manure is everywhere it would not be a factor deer hunting now if you was backwoods deep like colorado or oregon where its not so common it would definity alert the deers senses to fleet or steer clear of area. Just my thoughts

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    One season I was hunting just stalking through the woods and decided to sit down and take a break. Ended up taking a nap up against a tree and woke up to a doe licking the bottom of my boots with twin fawns behind her. Only thing I did was showered that morning and used an unscented bar of soap and unscented toothpaste. When I woke up I just sat still and watching them until they walked off slowly. While they can detect strange smells easily I think much more of it has to do with movement and sound.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Deer can sort out the human smell so the manure in the field won't really bother them or help cover your sent. Hunt it as you would if it was not there.

Just my opinion.

I agree with this concept. I heard it put like this: You walk into a house and smell stew cooking. A deer a half mile away gets a whiff and smells carrots, potatoes, onions, beef browned in flour, celery, and tomato base.

I don't think the poop will hurt or help if you smell like a nasty human underneath it.

HB

Top Bottom