• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Long story, kinda short. Son was stopped for speeding by Purdue Police on new 231. Officer sees pink card in wallet. Officer -" You have a gun?". Son - "Yes". Officer -" Handgun ?" Son -"Yes". Officer - "Where is it ?" Son - "center console" Officer - " Step to the rear of vehicle". At this point there was some back and forth about officer safety, blah blah blah. Second officer was also there. Now, one would think that with "suspect" at rear of vehicle, and handgun in center console, everyone is safe. Nope. First officer then goes back to vehicle, enters it, retrieves handgun, drops mag, checks chamber Why? And did he have legal cause too. Son protested entire situation, except for speeding ticket, and did not consent to vehicle "search". He has already sent a lengthy email toChief Cox. And plans on talking to shift ssupervisor.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It is my understanding, the answer is no. I've read advice where people in such situations should have rolled his window up and locked his door as he exited.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    It is my understanding, the answer is no. I've read advice where people in such situations should have rolled his window up and locked his door as he exited.

That is the advice I have given him, in case it ever happens again. He has also relocated his LTCH to a less conspicuous place in his wallet.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Purdue police seem to have this power-trip type thing going. Who'd have thought, right?

Firearms are prohibited "on campus", and they seem to think public roads bisecting campus ARE Purdue University property, thus subject to their jurisdiction and Purdue regulations as well as state laws.

They are incorrect,to be sure. To date this fact has not deterred them.

It's going to take a lawsuit.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Washington v State, 2010.

Son's 4th Amendment rights were violated. Consult an attorney.

I am not a big "my rights were violated" type of person. But if this was what happened then I agree the officer was in the wrong. I am all for officer safety, but simply removing the occupant from the vehicle would have allowed for that. Also there was no reason to believe that a person with an LTCH or even one that has a gun poses a threat. The most dangerous activity in that exchange has officer butter finger handling an unfamiliar weapon in public.

While I agree the officer was in the wrong a lawsuit will not go anywhere. There are no "damages" and what attorney is going to work for free. I don't have the money to throw at an inconvenience such as this and neither do most other people. SO the result is individual officers can pretty much do whatever there leadership will allow them to do. (I bet that will make some people mad!)

Maybe we need to start a fund somewhere to pursue a good lawsuit.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    If the Officer can articulate his reasoning, he's probably good to go. There could be 10 bazillion different things he could articulate.

As in
    Malone, we conclude that in the absence of an articulable basis that either there was a legitimate concern for officer safety or a belief that a crime had been or was being committed, the search of Washington’s car for a handgun was not justified.

Turfweazel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    When you are ordered out of your car by an officer, lock your doors behind you.

I understand this and will try to if the situation ever happens to me but my windows are power windows. I doubt the LEO will let me turn the key put my window up and then get out. How do you propose to do this?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I understand this and will try to if the situation ever happens to me but my windows are power windows. I doubt the LEO will let me turn the key put my window up and then get out. How do you propose to do this?
    Why do yo shut your car off? Why do you roll your window down all the way? Were you ask to do that?

I will answer my own questions. I never shut my car off. I don't even put my car in park I leave it in drive. I only roll down my window enough to put my hand out. If he asks me to step out, window goes up, car gets put in park, shut off car, keys in pocket and lock the doors on the way out.

Last edited:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I know it will be difficult, but just stay cool, say "OK officer", turn on the ignition (without starring the car, obviously), roll up the windows, and get out.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    When you get stopped, put it in park and leave it running. It's what I do.

Destro, without RAS that a crime has been/is going to be/or is happening, a valid LTCH is supposed to be the end of all questionijg regarding the handgun is to cease. ISC ruled that. Also, Washington states that once an occupant is removed from the handgun, ie taken out of the car where the handgun sits, officer safety can no longer be articulated. Therefore, once a person is removed from the handgun, officers cannot articulate a reason for taking a firearm.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Yep pretty much what everyone else has said. Washington applies here, if he kept asking about the gun then Indiana v Richardson may apply some. Perhaps you can get some tuition assistance for your son from the nice people at the Purdue Police dept. (assuming your son is a student there)..

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yep pretty much what everyone else has said. Washington applies here, if he kept asking about the gun then Indiana v Richardson may apply some. Perhaps you can get some tuition assistance for your son from the nice people at the Purdue Police dept. (assuming your son is a student there)..

Indiana vs Richardson is specific to seatbelt stops. Seatbelt stops are their own area of law because of the following IC code:

IC 9-19-10-3.1
    ...However, a vehicle, the contents of a vehicle, the driver of a vehicle, or a passenger in a vehicle may not be inspected, searched, or detained solely because of a violation of this chapter...

OP was stopped for speeding.

Top Bottom