• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I've got about 1,500 shells of once fired .40 brass (Remington, Federal, Winchester--Golden Saber, HydraShok, Ranger).

I'm trying to decide if it would be cheaper to buy my own powder, primer and bullets and then hire someone here to clean, prime and load the cases for me?

Or, just buy 1,500 rounds of wal-mart WWB? (about $360 right?)

These are just for training rounds on the range, nothing special. They just need to go bang every time and not blow up in my face.

What do you guys suggest?

(I guess the third option would be to buy all of the equipment but since I don't have anything for this, I'd have to buy every single component.)

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I've got about 1,500 shells of once fired .40 brass (Remington, Federal, Winchester--Golden Saber, HydraShok, Ranger).

I'm trying to decide if it would be cheaper to buy my own powder, primer and bullets and then hire someone here to clean, prime and load the cases for me?

Or, just buy 1,500 rounds of wal-mart WWB? (about $360 right?)

These are just for training rounds on the range, nothing special. They just need to go bang every time and not blow up in my face.

What do you guys suggest?

(I guess the third option would be to buy all of the equipment but since I don't have anything for this, I'd have to buy every single component.)

If you are in the Indy area I am going to be starting reloading soon. I also shoot .40 so if you want to we could work something out.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You will almost certainly pay more for a professional reloader to create loads tailored to your gun than you will buying fresh factory rounds. In ~3,000 rounds of loading your own, you will have recouped the cost of buying equipment to do it yourself. If you are a relatively young man and will be shooting 1,500 rounds per year for many years to come, learning to reload your own ammo has many advantages and no drawbacks, except demanding some of your time. Since it's a fun and relaxing hobby, many folks do not begrudge that time one little bit! ;)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'd consider this a great reason to start reloading, but hit up Aszerigan. Also, be careful about hiring someone to make reloads for you. There may be a loophole you can exploit, but generally speaking anyone selling reloads needs to be a licensed class 6 FFL. Perhaps the fact that you are only "hiring" his labor makes it a grey/ok area, but just be forewarned. Then again, maybe I'm completely wrong.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    You would probably be better off just buying Federal red box or WWB from wal mart for just range ammo. Its hard to beat on price. Plus I dont know if the regular guy would want the leagality issue for reloading for someone else, But as mentioned Azerigan does and I belive he is in your area.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    WHAT DO YOU WANT FMJ HP OR CAST

I just want the cheapest thing that will safely go bang in training. I don't want custom rounds, defense rounds, etc. I have enough of that.

I shoot a couple thousand rounds a year in .40.

I reload my 25-06 so I'm not completely ignorant of reloading but I load 60 rounds of that and it last me all year. Doing a few thousand rounds of .40 is an entirely different ball game. I can't see doing that on a single-stage. I'd have to get one of those high-dollar multi-stage whiz-bangs that also cooks dinner and everything. And I'm not sure I want to get into all that just yet.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just want the cheapest thing that will safely go bang in training. I don't want custom rounds, defense rounds, etc. I have enough of that.

I shoot a couple thousand rounds a year in .40.

I reload my 25-06 so I'm not completely ignorant of reloading but I load 60 rounds of that and it last me all year. Doing a few thousand rounds of .40 is an entirely different ball game. I can't see doing that on a single-stage. I'd have to get one of those high-dollar multi-stage whiz-bangs that also cooks dinner and everything. And I'm not sure I want to get into all that just yet.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

You wouldn't need a high dollar progressive to do a few thousand rounds a year. 15-20 hours a YEAR in front of a sub $200 Lee Turret set up could handle that. That's less than a hour every other week. :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Doing a few thousand rounds of .40 is an entirely different ball game. I can't see doing that on a single-stage. I'd have to get one of those high-dollar multi-stage whiz-bangs that also cooks dinner and everything. And I'm not sure I want to get into all that just yet...

I broke even on my Dillon 650 and setup in 9 months loading .45. My only regret is not getting it the year before.

One of the biggest, let least advertised, advantages of loading your own is buying components ahead of need. You are no longer at the mercy of the market, politics, SHTF, etc. You don't have to scramble around to find decent prices when you are stockpiled on components costing 30% of loaded ammo.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I just started reloading a little over a month ago, on a Lee single stage press. I reload 9mm, and in a month i have already loaded 1,500 rounds, i see a lot of people talking about 1,500 a year. Is 1,500 a year really what "most" people reload???

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    XtremeVel and bwframe have laid it out for you, in black and white.

You already know how to reload, but you aren't loading for the cartridge you shoot the most? The only thing you need to do is decide whether you want a turret or a full progressive, like a Dillon 550 or Hornady LNL AP. You're asking the wrong questions, my friend. ;)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I just started reloading a little over a month ago, on a Lee single stage press. I reload 9mm, and in a month i have already loaded 1,500 rounds, i see a lot of people talking about 1,500 a year. Is 1,500 a year really what "most" people reload???

No idea. I would think not. I loaded 750 rounds of 9mm last Saturday.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Alright, alright, I get it guys. I'll get the equipment and start reloading :)

My wife hates this site.

Buy your wife a fun little gun to shoot, like a 380 or maybe a 223 rifle. It's easier to appropriate funds when the one holding the purse (strings) is complicit in your activities! :D

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Buy your wife a fun little gun to shoot, like a 380 or maybe a 223 rifle. It's easier to appropriate funds when the one holding the purse (strings) is complicit in your activities! :D

She's got several already. She shoots her .40 very well (6 inch groups) out to 25 yards or so. She just doesn't think I need to spend even MORE money on it :dunno:

Top Bottom